The Official Jeep Wrangler TJ Oxygen (O2) Sensor Thread

I cannot get mine to break loose. The socket referred to earlier in this post is the one I am using. Any tricks? I sprayed liberally with penetrating fluid. Maybe I need to get some of that Kroil.
I think you'll find you're not alone in that situation. Numerous people run into that same problem, you can try applying heat with a torch and penetrating oil, and if that fails you may have to cut the wires at the old sensor and use a standard deep socket or a box end wrench.

Reactions: Mrprez
Reactions: Mrprez
Hey Guys, I've had NGK/NTK sensors in my Amazon wish list for a while now and today I noticed all four of them for 2005-2006 TJs are $1.63 each! Ordered all 4 with $9.99 shipping came out to $17.51 for all 4. Wanted to pass along.
Same price for the 2002 ones. I may send mine back and order these.

The seller must have changed the prices. They are back to the original price.

Last edited:
Reactions: dieselvrr
I finally got the two upstream sensors out. The key is heat and lots of it. I used a propane tank with one of those BenzOMatic torches. This really put out the heat.

The links for the 2004 sensors go to the NTK brand instead of NGK like the post's text says. Is it critical that I use NGK instead of NTK?

Any idea how to test the O2 sensors? I mean via voltage/OHMs? Getting these codes after I chased down a misfire in another thread. I've seen that you can remove it and test with an OHM meter while heating it up with a blow torch. I wouldn't know what wires were senders, so.....

InkedScreenshot_20200118-141554_BlueDriver_LI.jpg

Screenshot_20200118-152017_BlueDriver.jpg
Screenshot_20200118-153850_BlueDriver.jpg
Screenshot_20200118-153852_BlueDriver.jpg
Screenshot_20200118-154110_BlueDriver.jpg
Screenshot_20200118-154118_BlueDriver.jpg

Last edited:
Just a heads up for you guys replacing your sensors, even though the box states the correct sensor outside the box double check inside that it is in fact NGK/NTK.

Ordered a complete set on Amazon and one of them (it was sealed and all) had a logo on the 02 that I didn’t recognize. Found out it was an ECCPP Sensor instead 🙄

CF537D51-EB59-4588-A62C-C610C6B1D37B.jpeg

A6EB46D6-DEC3-493D-8CE0-E856109F559C.jpeg

Reactions: Chris
I know there is a relay for the downstream O2 sensors. Is there one for the upstream? I don't see any listed in the relay box but there are heaters on them so I imagine there should be. Want to check just in case to try to track my upstream O2 sensor heater issues.

I know there is a relay for the downstream O2 sensors. Is there one for the upstream? I don't see any listed in the relay box but there are heaters on them so I imagine there should be. Want to check just in case to try to track my upstream O2 sensor heater issues.

FYI per the FSM it's the ASD relay.