The Official Jeep Wrangler TJ Oxygen (O2) Sensor Thread

I'm hoping someone here can help

I've got a 2006 LJ. All parts websites say sensor #23158 is correct for bank 2 sensor 2.

I ordered it from amazon and saw 2 reviews that said it didn't work on their 06 Wrangler, but I ordered it because it was confirmed on this page to be correct

Well I received it today and it's not right, the plug is definitely different. In the picture, the plug on the left is from sensor #23158 and the one on the right is my current sensor plug

Has anyone else had this problem? Someone mentioned cutting and soldering the old plug on the new sensor but I'm not really comfortable with that

Does anyone recognize the sensor plug on the right?

Screenshot_2018-08-02-12-08-21.png

Last edited:

I've got a 2006 LJ. All parts websites say sensor #23158 is correct for bank 2 sensor 2.

I ordered it from amazon and saw 2 reviews that said it didn't work on their 06 Wrangler, but I ordered it because it was confirmed on this page to be correct

Well I received it today and it's not right, the plug is definitely different. In the picture, the plug on the left is from sensor #23158 and the one on the right is my current sensor plug

Has anyone else had this problem? Someone mentioned cutting and soldering the old plug on the new sensor but I'm not really comfortable with that

View attachment 201037

Cross reference the part numbers on your new O2 sensors with the NGK website just to rule that out. If they are indeed correct, you can remove the plugs from your old O2 sensors and put them on the new ones pretty easily.

Cross reference the part numbers on your new O2 sensors with the NGK website just to rule that out. If they are indeed correct, you can remove the plugs from your old O2 sensors and put them on the new ones pretty easily.

After checking out the other sensors it looks like bank 1 sensor 2 is the same

Which means my LJ has bank 1 sensor 2 and bank 2 sensor 2 the same

Both downstream o2 sensors have the same plugs for my particular Jeep. If there other people out there

Which is weird because if you look up part # ntk 23159 the plug still doesn't look exactly correct, but I can take both of my current downstream sensors and swap them around and the plugs from the harness are identical

After checking out the other sensors it looks like bank 1 sensor 2 is the same

Which means my LJ has bank 1 sensor 2 and bank 2 sensor 2 the same

Both downstream o2 sensors have the same plugs for my particular Jeep. If there other people out there

Which is weird because if you look up part # ntk 23159 the plug still doesn't look exactly correct, but I can take both of my current downstream sensors and swap them around and the plugs from the harness are identical

You may be better off posting a new thread. I know others have had this issue before, but piling onto this 25 page thread isn't going to get you as much attention as making a new thread.

I wish I could be of more help, but I've never run into this issue personally. If it was me, assuming you checked all the part numbers on the NTK website and you are 100% certain you got the correct sensors, then I would just swap the connectors on your old ones onto the new ones. Super easy to do (y)

Reactions: MrMark52

View attachment 201037

This may not help much, but the one on the left is what I just took out of my 2003 4L and has Mopar # 5604049 on it.
You may be better off posting a new thread. I know others have had this issue before, but piling onto this 25 page thread isn't going to get you as much attention as making a new thread.

I wish I could be of more help, but I've never run into this issue personally. If it was me, assuming you checked all the part numbers on the NTK website and you are 100% certain you got the correct sensors, then I would just swap the connectors on your old ones onto the new ones. Super easy to do (y)

And if you do start a new thread - make it very clear of the year, model, and engine your working with. I know ou said it above, but reiterating for the new thread will hopefully make it easier for searchers to find.

Reactions: Chris
And if you do start a new thread - make it very clear of the year, model, and engine your working with. I know ou said it above, but reiterating for the new thread will hopefully make it easier for searchers to find.

Yep, very important (y)

This may not help much, but the one on the left is what I just took out of my 2003 4L and has Mopar # 5604049 on it.

Also, link back to the first post in this thread with the part numbers so everyone's clear that you already saw this post and don't link it to you in reply.

There is a page with service manuals and part lists for our wranglers somewhere on this site. Check the part list for your model to find the part number. That number is different from the NTK part number, but on rockauto.com they are matched to what may be listed in the part list; see for example: https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/ntk,23158,oxygen+(o2)+sensor,5132

NTK 23158 {#5149283AA, 56029050AA, 7B0906265} Info

Category: Oxygen (O2) Sensor

That should help you to identify the correct part.

So I did confirm with NTK that this is the right sensor and the right part. (Just to make sure a different sensor didn't end up in a box that said #23158)

I thought about making a separate thread but there's a ton of good info here so it made sense to me at the time to leave it here

The Jeep I'm working on is a 2006 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) with the 4.0 engine and 42rle trans

I'm currently replacing the exhaust from manifold to muffler, I wanted to replace the 2 lower o2 sensors. The bank 1 sensor 2 part number is correct as listed #23159

I havent confirmed if this works yet because my exhaust is still disassembled. But it looks like for some reason my Jeep uses the same part number for both downstream sensors

I can definitely update after its all said and done. And if it does end up being true I might make a separate post with pictures

According to pretty much anyone who's got 4 o2 sensors in their Jeeps. Its been made clear they take 4 completely different o2 sensors. For whatever reason my 2 downstreams use the same plugs.

My upstream sensors are correct as listed for #23160 and #23018 as a side note

Finished replacing all my O2 sensors this afternoon.

Now it’s like a totally different vehicle. Much more power!

Here’s what my old front downstream sensor looked like when I took it out:

1604808939741.jpeg

1604808962170.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Chris
It looks like my rear downstream o2 sensor bung/flange was relocated? Does this all look OK? Why would this have been needed?

1604809310808.jpeg

1604809335814.jpeg

Reactions: khakitj
Yep, someone relocated it. It was probably interfering with the driveshaft or something else as the result of a lift or other suspension changes. No big deal though (y)

Thanks for the reassurance.

The Jeep hasn’t had any major lift or suspension changes. Almost completely stock when I bought it, except Bilstein shocks, and now all I did was add H&R springs.

I did notice before that when I bought it this pre-cat had been replaced, maybe the relocation was related?

Thanks for the reassurance.

The Jeep hasn’t had any major lift or suspension changes. Almost completely stock when I bought it, except Bilstein shocks, and now all I did was add H&R springs.

I did notice before that when I bought it this pre-cat had been replaced, maybe the relocation was related?

That must be what it was related to in that case. I can't say why for sure, but it's likely that the replacement pre-cats they used had a bung welded in a place that was causing interference. Like I said, no harm in them moving it, so fortunately you're good to go (y)

Reactions: khakitj
What are Bank 1, Bank 2, etc.?
Since this question pops up from time-to-time, here's an easy to follow diagram that illustrates what they mean when your OBDII code scanner (or manual) tells you something like "O2 sensor, Bank 1, Sensor 2":

View attachment 12208

What does upstream and downstream mean?
Simple, upstream means the O2 sensor is "upstream" of the catalytic convertors, meaning before the catalytic convertors. Downstream means the O2 sensor is "downstream" of the catalytic convertors, meaning after the catalytic convertors.

What brand of O2 sensors should I use for replacements?
Pay close attention to this one so you can do it once and do it right! The Jeep Wrangler TJ is extremely sensitive to all oxygen sensors other than NGK / NTK. Bosch O2 sensors and all the others (including the crappy Chinese brands you'll buy at your local auto part store) are very well documented as not working properly with our TJs. In other words, you plug them in and you assume all is well, until you notice your check engine light isn't going away. This is almost always due to the fact that you didn't use an NGK / NTK replacement O2 sensor.

Okay, so why don't other sensors (i.e. Bosch) work on our Jeeps?
Glad you asked! Check out this video for a detailed explanation of why other brands of O2 sensors don't work on our TJs:

So which O2 sensors do I need?
I'm going to break down which sensors you need based off what year your TJ is. The part numbers (and information) below were taken directly from the NGK website, so you can assure it is 100% accurate (even double checked each individual year and model before writing this thread).

4 Cylinder Engines
1997-2000
NGK #23506 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23151 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream) (1998 ONLY)​
NGK #23099 - Bank 1, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
2001-2004
NGK #23138 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23141 - Bank 1, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
2005-2006
NGK #23159 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23159 - Bank 1, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
6 Cylinder Engines
1997-1999
NGK #23151 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23122 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23506 - Bank 2, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23099 - Bank 2, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
2001-2003
NGK #23139 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23138 - Bank 2, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23142 - Bank 1, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
NGK #23141 - Bank 2, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
NGK #23137 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23135 - Bank 2, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23132 - Bank 1, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
NGK #23531 - Bank 2, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
2005-2006
NGK #23018 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23160 - Bank 2, Sensor 1 (Upstream)​
NGK #23159 - Bank 1, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
NGK #23158 - Bank 2, Sensor 2 (Downstream)​
Misc Installation Notes
When installing new O2 sensors, be certain to use some anti-seize on the threads of the new O2 sensors! This is important, and will save you a huge headache should you ever need to remove them in the future.

In addition, a O2 sensor socket will greatly aide in the installation and removal of O2 sensors. I recommend this one.
For the 1998 only is that the upstream sensor?

@Chris thanks for this thread.

Since there seems to be some confusion on the 2000 model year I just want to confirm what I found posted in the middle of this thread after buying a couple of sensors that did not fit.

My early CA 2000 4.0 (Feb 2000 build) required the following sensors...

NTK 23151 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream) California (1999)
NTK 23110 - Bank 1, Sensor 2 (Downstream) California
NTK 23506 - Bank 2, Sensor 1 (Upstream) California
NTK 23099 - Bank 2, Sensor 2 (Downstream) California

@Chris thanks for this thread.

Since there seems to be some confusion on the 2000 model year I just want to confirm what I found posted in the middle of this thread after buying a couple of sensors that did not fit.

My early CA 2000 4.0 (Feb 2000 build) required the following sensors...

NTK 23151 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream) California (1999)
NTK 23110 - Bank 1, Sensor 2 (Downstream) California
NTK 23506 - Bank 2, Sensor 1 (Upstream) California
NTK 23099 - Bank 2, Sensor 2 (Downstream) California

2000 is tough because it’s a split year as I understand it where they went from the older emissions setup to the new one. Thanks for posting this 👍