The Official Jeep Wrangler TJ Oxygen (O2) Sensor Thread

Wiring? or oily smell? Did you use a penetrating oil before removal? If so did you wash off any left over residue with brake parts cleaner?
Haha, I sure did, and didn’t clean it off, it was on the cat.

Reactions: reddvltj
Haha, I sure did, and didn’t clean it off, it was on the cat.
I just had a similar experience. Sprayed down the O2s the night before with the intention of changing them out when I was done putting new plugs in... long story short, I got the plugs done and fired it up to see how it ran.... started seeing smoke and thought??? WTH!!! then the familiar aroma of burning PB Blaster hit my nose....lol oooops

Reactions: JMT
one of the best threads evar!

One note, however, the 23159 link for the 04-06 takes you here:

NTK 21003 Oxygen Sensor
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NY0QQK/?tag=wranglerorg-20

In fact, Amazon doesn't seem to carry 23159. I bought mine from Jegs https://www.jegs.com/i/NGK-Spark-Plugs/739/23159/10002/-1

Looks like you can buy directly from NGK too:
https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=19154

Actually, that is the right O2 sensor on Amazon, they have have it mislabeled in the title. If you scroll down to the part number, it shows 23159.

I can very it is indeed 23159, as my friend bought it fo this TJ and he received the correct one.

Like I said, the title is mislabeled for some reason.

Had to replace my bank 2/1 sensor today, 5 days after bank 2/2. Is it common for them to go out all about the same time?

It also seems like my rig runs significantly better when I replace a bad O2 sensor. Is that normal?

Reactions: Vasq
It also seems like my rig runs significantly better when I replace a bad O2 sensor. Is that normal?

Yes, that's very normal. This is why O2 sensors are a general maintenance item and should be replace (all of them) around every 80k miles or so.

Even if they aren't throwing a check engine light, they need to be replaced, as they do affect the overall performance of your engine. You'll definitely notice a vehicle runs better with new O2 sensors.

Yes, that's very normal. This is why O2 sensors are a general maintenance item and should be replace (all of them) around every 80k miles or so.

Even if they aren't throwing a check engine light, they need to be replaced, as they do affect the overall performance of your engine. You'll definitely notice a vehicle runs better with new O2 sensors.
And I'm at 80,800 miles. LOL. Thanks

interesting. Thanks for clarifying, Chris.

However, after all that, still getting that damn P0153 code is back. Long story short, I am replacing all of the o2 snesors based on my mechanic's advice. At first, I thought it could be an exhaust leak, possibly leaky gasket. They tested for leaks and couldn't find any. I'm not sure what 'tested for leaks' means. I don't know if they used a smoke test or just eyeballed/sniffed/listened for it. The OBD scan tool I have also suggested a PCM flash. It's easy enough to do so I will try that when I get a chance. I'm not holding my breath that will fix the problem.

Yep, that's what I would do. And just so you know, the OEM Mopar O2 sensors are NGK / NTK :)
Yep, that's what I would do. And just so you know, the OEM Mopar O2 sensors are NGK / NTK :)

Update: After Googling on NTK 23151 and comparing it to the Upstream O2 sensor that i had (Mopar 56041887AA), i found out that the connectors are incompatible (NTK 23151 being a round one). So, i sent a message to NGK requesting their part number for Mopar's 56041887AA. They suggested NTK 23138, which is actually the Upstream sensor of the 2.5L. I ordered it and it looked almost like the Mopar one that i had. The only difference was that the slot on one side of the connector was not lining up correctly (photo included). Then i trimmed the plastic tab that didn't align (i thought that this would be easier than cutting and replacing the connector with the old one). Plugged it in, removed the positive battery pole for about 10 minutes to clear the error codes and voila, no more error codes. Been driving the Jeep for some time now with no problems. Therefore, for an EU spec 2002 TJ Sport with the 4.0L and only 2 O2 sensors, Mopar's 56041887AA has the NTK 23138 (with minor trimming) as an equivalent. So it triggers the following questions: do these 2 sensors only differ in their connectors? Are all upstream sensors for Jeeps the same and only differ in their connectors? And, if so, why do they change the connectors, creating more part numbers and more mess?

View attachment 123621

20191025_104316_2.jpg

Reactions: Reign Mack and JMT
Wow, that's quite a mess. I have no idea if there are any differences other than the connectors, but this is quite an interesting find.

Wow, that's quite a mess. I have no idea if there are any differences other than the connectors, but this is quite an interesting find.

You bet, it is! I always thought that a connector is a way of ensuring that the correct sensor is plugged in, but what i found throws this theory to the dogs. So, in reality are all 4 cable upstream sensors all the same ? Can anyone shed some light into this?

So, in reality are all 4 cable upstream sensors all the same ? Can anyone shed some light into this?

There's a good chance the two upstream sensors are identical other than the connectors. Though I'm not sure anyone other than NGK will be able to verify this.

My mistake, that was a typo in my original post. I meant to say 1997-1999, but I wrote 1997-1998 on accident!

You have the exact same sensors as the 97-98 models as well, which are:

1997-1999
NGK #23151 - Bank 1, Sensor 1 (Upstream)
NGK #23099 - Bank 2, Sensor 2 (Downstream)

So yes, your part numbers you have are 100% correct.
I have a two o2 sensor 2000 4.0 wrangler and they gave me a NTK 23122. NGK isn't listed. NGK brand is NTK when it comes to sensors. first they gave me a 23506 but that was for the wrong model. anyway I am still getting a po132 code? now what?

I had my mechanic swap out all my O2’s and the next day the cel was back. He checked it again and told me to buy a new gas cap. My old cap was keyed but living out in the country i don’t need it so I bought a standard one. Been a couple of weeks and no cel.

Reactions: yeller
The NGK, NTK site lists 23122 as the sensor for a non California, two sensor, one upstream, one downstream sensor for 2000 wrangler tj. ?

I had my mechanic swap out all my O2’s and the next day the cel was back. He checked it again and told me to buy a new gas cap. My old cap was keyed but living out in the country i don’t need it so I bought a standard one. Been a couple of weeks and no cel.
What was the code for your CEL?

I have a two o2 sensor 2000 4.0 wrangler and they gave me a NTK 23122. NGK isn't listed. NGK brand is NTK when it comes to sensors. first they gave me a 23506 but that was for the wrong model. anyway I am still getting a po132 code? now what?

Replace ALL of your O2 sensors at once, not just one of them.

After that, clear the error codes with an OBDII scanner, then see if they come back.

I finally got the O2 sensors, all four of them that mentioned in here.

and I faced a problem!
one of the sensors in my TJ was ripped off of the wire connector.

What I see now is the following:
1- Sensor connected to the exhaust
2- No wiring on it
3- The wire with connector that connects to it has no connector and just a spaghetti wire.

So, I can replace 3 but the fourth I guess I cannot since there is no connector that can be connected to it.

My question is:
Will there be a problem if I just took off all the sensors (all 4 oxygen sensors) and not connect them at all?

Replace ALL of your O2 sensors at once, not just one of them.

After that, clear the error codes with an OBDII scanner, then see if they come back.

I ordered the OBDII scanner that you once recommended:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077F8F6TB/?tag=wranglerorg-20

When I connected it, it didn't work no light at all.
Plus, I connected another one and it didn't connect either.

Any suggestions?