The Official Jeep Wrangler TJ "Vibrations After Re-Gear" Thread

Sure glad you're here to do the scientific stuff. I'll be standing by.;)

Is this most common in TJ or TJUR or no difference?

I don't think there's enough data to say. We hear about it a lot more in TJ's, but there are a lot more of them out there.

Reactions: NOTNSUV
I LOVE the hubs on my XJ and had pondered doing them on the LJ until I saw the price tag these days (upwards of $2k I've read here). But, if after experimentation, first up will be drop the front DS, I'll spend the coin and get it done.
Of course, I have to be part of the outlier group sporting the 6spd that 'less likely' to have this experience. :cautious:
It IS good to hear that hubs might be the cure.
I also have vibes with the 6-speed. I tried all this stuff, ended up rebuilding the front shaft, trying every pinion angle front and rear. It doesn’t matter what I do. It doesn’t change. With 33’s they came on at 64. With 35’s they come on at 70.

Hub kit is the answer, but $1400! 😕 Or go to 37’s and they’ll move to 76! 🤣

I also have vibes with the 6-speed. I tried all this stuff, ended up rebuilding the front shaft, trying every pinion angle front and rear. It doesn’t matter what I do. It doesn’t change. With 33’s they came on at 64. With 35’s they come on at 70.

Hub kit is the answer, but $1400!
Where you finding them for $1400? Brand please? I'll do it if it comes to that. Haven't yet removed either DS, too buy wheelin' the XJ. I haven't even documented where they start. Do they go away at a higher speed or once they start they stay?
😕 Or go to 37’s and they’ll move to 76! 🤣
I probably won't live long enough to wear out my brand new 35s.

Reactions: NOTNSUV
Would a HP30 help? If so, it seems like 1400 would go a long way on a hp30 build
I don’t know. What’s the story with an HP30? How does that help vibes by raising the pinion output on the differential? So far with the LP30, no matter the pinion angle the vibes are the same.

Reactions: DrDmoney
I don’t know. What’s the story with an HP30? How does that help vibes by raising the pinion output on the differential? So far with the LP30, no matter the pinion angle the vibes are the same.
It would lower the DS angle. I would guess @DrDmoney's hp44 would be comparable to your set up.

Darren what is your DS angle?

Reactions: DrDmoney
Do the big brake kits effect use of the Yukon hubs? New knuckles and all. Obviously, I'm pretty unschooled.
Do the Yukon kits maintain the same wheel width or will spacers on the rear be needed?

IDK guys. I only NEED them. I don’t HAVE them.

I think they are plug-n-play unless you are doing a BBK.

Do the Yukon kits maintain the same wheel width or will spacers on the rear be needed?
Dunno TJ but my XJ has Warn hubs, Dana 30, and needed 1" spacers in the rear to match the track. Works fine but don't know if I want 1" less backspacing on the TJUR. Good question, tho', probably better than mine.

The HP30 upgrade is a crap shoot. It might help with the front pinion angle, maybe. I wouldn't do it just to try and solve the vibes, unless you just want the added clearance that a HP30 gives you, plus a tiny bit more strength, going forward, that is.

The front driveshaft is a mile long compared to the rear. I wouldn't put much effort into decreasing that driveshaft angle or expect any change resulting from an Hp30.

I had a 99 TJ without vibes, took the transfer case, front hp30, rear Dana 44, shocks, and control arms out of it, put them with the same wheels and tires under an LJ, and got vibes. The only thing that changed was the rear driveshaft and the rig that sits on top of it all. And the driveshaft got rebalanced with no change.

Reactions: JMT
The HP30 upgrade is a crap shoot. It might help with the front pinion angle, maybe. I wouldn't do it just to try and solve the vibes, unless you just want the added clearance that a HP30 gives you, plus a tiny bit more strength, going forward, that is.
My previous axle was a LP30 with the same (more or less) lift and I didn’t have any vibes with it and it’s been on 35’s and 4.5” of lift since it was new.

Reactions: JMT and Alex01
Leads you to believe that Jeep engineers built the TJ on the edge of acceptance. Why else would you need a harmonic balancer at both ends of the jeep? Ugh!

It would lower the DS angle. I would guess @DrDmoney's hp44 would be comparable to your set up.

Darren what is your DS angle?
I checked this today, 10.3 degrees, 5” of lift, Atlas clocked at 7 degrees, and tucked. The engine skid is lower than the DS.
748633FA-991D-4B49-88F0-ABDFEA4889EE.jpeg

D6EDA317-D374-4ED0-AB0C-9EB844542E59.jpeg

Ok, here's my proof of concept. Definitely not a permanent way to do this or even an efficient one, but very temporary and one that required as much welding as possible, because I'm trying to accumulate arc time before I start doing things that matter like welding on a bumper or mini skids.

It just goes around the frame, with a other strap that bolts into the tabs to hold it on. I used about the length in 1/8x1.25" to be equivalent to the 3" of extra frame length that was behind the skid on the 97-02 models that don't seem as affected by this phenomenon.

PXL_20220215_224123569.jpg

Going to put it on the frame between the skid and the rear most body mount. I'll let you guys know if it changes anything.

Reactions: JMT