The Official SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator) Thread

I'm assuming that I should have one then?... I get a bit of a vibration around 3rd gear.

Also, would I need a body lift in order to tuck the transfer case back up to the frame? Or could I just eliminate that piece of square stock once I install a SYE?
You don't need a body lift to just move the stock t-case skid back up to where it's supposed to be. If you did a true tummy tuck, you might need one. But while you're assessing all of this, I'd take a good look at that huge hole in the side of your frame above the transfer case. If it was a small hole that was drilled, I wouldn't even say anything, but someone damn near turned your frame into a piece of C channel.

You don't need a body lift to just move the stock t-case skid back up to where it's supposed to be. If you did a true tummy tuck, you might need one. But while you're assessing all of this, I'd take a good look at that huge hole in the side of your frame above the transfer case. If it was a small hole that was drilled, I wouldn't even say anything, but someone damn near turned your frame into a piece of C channel.

X2

Ideally you'd have a SYE, but you don't need a body lift to do that. The body lift would be for if you wanted to tuck the transfer case skid plate flush with the body, then you'd need an SYE, a tucked transfer case skid plate, and a body lift.

I also agree, someone really tweaked your frame there!

Yeah, those holes... ugh... PO did something there, not sure why. Just a little further forward of that I found a small crack (posted about this in my New Member Thread "Back in the Saddle").... are these things repairable?

If I had to guess, they cut the holes so they could get the nutserts in the frame to stop spinning so they could put the transfer case lowering kit on. Only way to fix it that I know of would be to weld a patch over the cuts.

That's definitely something that's pretty easy to fix, especially if you know how to weld.

I just wish I knew what the previous owner (idiot) was thinking when he did that... sheesh!

Reactions: JeepNWilly
The length is important because during of the suspension travel. if it is too big the splines in the middle of the driveshaft will have no room for travel, If it is too small it may separate in half at the splines during offroad articulation.

You may want to see how much bigger is the 8.8 vs the Dana 35. the the difference is not much you should be ok having one made for the 8.8 but be usable on the Dana 35. Now that said As long as the yokes are the same on a Dana 35 and a 8.8. I don't know since I have never used a 8.8
The 8.8 doesn't mount like the Dana 35. The 8.8 has a flat mounting surface vs. the u joint

Where is the best place to purchase the SYE and the driveshaft as a kit? I know Adam's is pretty cheap but I want to know if they're the best.

Where is the best place to purchase the SYE and the driveshaft as a kit? I know Adam's is pretty cheap but I want to know if they're the best.

I think that's going to be highly subjective, since few people buy and compare SYE kits and driveshafts from different manufacturers.

Reactions: StG58
I think that's going to be highly subjective, since few people buy and compare SYE kits and driveshafts from different manufacturers.

X2. In reality, you can't go wrong with any of them. Tom Wood is just my preference because I bought my stuff from him and had a good experience. I'm sure I could say the same thing about Adam's if I had bought it from him.

You can't go wrong with either of them honestly.

This is another popular choice:
http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/np231-sye--new-process-231j-fixed-yoke-kit-50-7906--50-7907/

Alright thank you! I'm also seeing that a lot of the jeeps on here have 4 inch lifts. Would I even need an SYE or new driveshaft if I only lifted mine 2 inches? I've been having the "death wobble" but I was told a TC drop kit was all I needed with such a small lift.

Alright thank you! I'm also seeing that a lot of the jeeps on here have 4 inch lifts. Would I even need an SYE or new driveshaft if I only lifted mine 2 inches? I've been having the "death wobble" but I was told a TC drop kit was all I needed with such a small lift.

At 2" you likely won't need a SYE or new driveshaft. That's not for 100% certain, but at 2" most people can get by without it. Worst possible case scenario is you have to use a washer or two to lower your transfer case (if you experience any vibrations), but that would be it.

Death wobble and driveline vibrations are two completely seprate issues. An SYE is not going to fix death wobble. If you have both, they need to be addressed independently.

Death wobble and driveline vibrations are two completely seprate issues. An SYE is not going to fix death wobble. If you have both, they need to be addressed independently.

X2. And often times "death wobble" is nothing more than improperly balanced tires... Seriously. That usually ends up being the case 8 out of 10 times I would say.

And a good majority of tire shops aren't well suited for balancing big, off-road tires like we use on our TJs. If you have someone balance them, you want to take it to a place that does lots of 4x4s. Or at least a place who has a guy with some experience. A lot of those guys who are installing tires at the tire shops are kids just out of high school. They simply don't have the experience that an older veteran would have.

Reactions: Jerod Powell