The Official SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator) Thread

SYE will allow different lifts, it’s not about the SYE, it’s about the pinion angle so you may have to adjust that in the future but the SYE is not an issue
Sorry I meant the driveshaft, will I need to lengthen it or not?

2) Invest in a heavy duty set of quality snap ring pliers. The set I had were cheap chinese made ones with the replaceable tips. They did not have enough strength to open the large rings enough to get the rings off the main shaft and barely enough to get the large on back on the new shaft. I fought with the ones I had before going to Auto Zone for another, beefier set that turned out to be just as worthless. See picture #2 and avoid these at all costs.

Hope this helps someone out a bit.

I have the cheap replaceable kind. Which version of the snap ring plier do you need? My set does about 8 different things. I'll upgrade a solid one for the type I need.

I had a cheaper pair and I was able to get the job done but it was more difficult than it should have been and added a lot of stress.

I have the cheap replaceable kind. Which version of the snap ring plier do you need? My set does about 8 different things. I'll upgrade a solid one for the type I need.

Yeah, the ones with the replaceable tips did not work for me because they flexed too much to spread the clips far enough to get them off or into place. I recommend the kind that are rigid. They do come in a couple different sizes as well. Harbor Freight has them.

Hey all! So I've had my TJ about 8 years now and I'm a member on some of the other forums but new here. I'm replacing my track bar, ball joints, and probably U-joints to help eliminate some vibrations. And don't worry, I read the DW thread already and will be going to an offroad shop to get my tires balanced properly after I do that. This has gotten me into "project mode" now though lol. I came across this thread and while I know I don't have an SYE I was hoping someone can explain what the PO did to the driveshaft. What is that large disk on the slip yoke? I haven't seen that before.

Driveshaft 1.jpg

Driveshaft 2.jpg

Hey all! So I've had my TJ about 8 years now and I'm a member on some of the other forums but new here. I'm replacing my track bar, ball joints, and probably U-joints to help eliminate some vibrations. And don't worry, I read the DW thread already and will be going to an offroad shop to get my tires balanced properly after I do that. This has gotten me into "project mode" now though lol. I came across this thread and while I know I don't have an SYE I was hoping someone can explain what the PO did to the driveshaft. What is that large disk on the slip yoke? I haven't seen that before.

View attachment 154396

View attachment 154397

That's the factory driveshaft. The previous owner just put a hell of a large transfer case drop on it.

If you're looking at that round disc thinking it might look odd, that is the factory harmonic balancer. It's usually removed when installing a SYE.

I’m looking into a SYE. I have a 1.75”spacer in front and stock rear lift I’m planning on doing a tummy tuck next. Looks like I need to get SYE kit ,drive shaft, new chain, anything else I need to do the swap?

I’m looking into a SYE. I have a 1.75”spacer in front and stock rear lift I’m planning on doing a tummy tuck next. Looks like I need to get SYE kit ,drive shaft, new chain, anything else I need to do the swap?
you need adjustable control arms, chain is not really necessary and some sort of high clearance skid if you are planning to do a tummy tuck. Id recommend the jb conversions super short sye (1310 cv yoke) and a
Tom Woods driveshaft, be wary though, depending how high of a skid you do you will have to modify the exhaust if you go high enough

Reactions: 808jeeper
I’m finishing up my install and I have a question: Am I measuring the angle of the differential correctly?

F19032D6-051C-4572-A3B1-98FCDE9A89F7.jpeg
911C81E7-21A2-4DB4-A7C3-21CACC02535D.jpeg

If so, how does that look? Does the pinion yoke need to come down a bit or is that within tolerable limits?

Measure the angle of the pinion like you are, but then also measure the angle of the driveshaft as well. The driveshaft should be around 1-2 degrees lower at most. The reason for this is that when you accelerate, the pinion is going to rise up slightly, thus making the pinion and driveshaft almost equal.

Measure the angle of the pinion like you are, but then also measure the angle of the driveshaft as well. The driveshaft should be around 1-2 degrees lower at most. The reason for this is that when you accelerate, the pinion is going to rise up slightly, thus making the pinion and driveshaft almost equal.

when I put it on the driveshaft it’s about 9 degrees.

30BD5887-C4CA-448E-9321-670127AAB34A.jpeg

Brackets just came off the rear drive shaft when I was forced off a curb (due to a less than considerate Vegas driver). Terrible noises ensued. I was able to get to a parking spot 30 feet away.
Results:
Rear shaft flopped around for awhile and tore apart the muffler. Caps came off the drive shaft, found them in the street. One of them had about 20 little pin sized shafts inside the cap. I removed the rear shaft and slowly limped home, about a mile. Shifting wasn't easy, and reverse wasnt an option.

The PO did a good job with the suspension portion of the lift, but nothing else.
Cat back and new brackets/caps have already been ordered. I want to put it all back together to assess what else needs replacing.
Obviously a SYE/DS is in my near future. Will be calling Adams tomorrow to see what their advice is, luckily its only a 15 minute drive for me.
Wanted to see if anyone had any advice, or good questions to ask them.
Also, what the hell are those pins inside the drive shaft joint cap?
Thanks all. Have a great night.

Brackets just came off the rear drive shaft when I was forced off a curb (due to a less than considerate Vegas driver). Terrible noises ensued. I was able to get to a parking spot 30 feet away.
Results:
Rear shaft flopped around for awhile and tore apart the muffler. Caps came off the drive shaft, found them in the street. One of them had about 20 little pin sized shafts inside the cap. I removed the rear shaft and slowly limped home, about a mile. Shifting wasn't easy, and reverse wasnt an option.

The PO did a good job with the suspension portion of the lift, but nothing else.
Cat back and new brackets/caps have already been ordered. I want to put it all back together to assess what else needs replacing.
Obviously a SYE/DS is in my near future. Will be calling Adams tomorrow to see what their advice is, luckily its only a 15 minute drive for me.
Wanted to see if anyone had any advice, or good questions to ask them.
Also, what the hell are those pins inside the drive shaft joint cap?
Thanks all. Have a great night.
Those pins inside the cap would be "needle bearings" they are what allow smooth rotational movement between the U-joint cap and cross section.

1588296891949.png

Reactions: Apparition