The plus side to the massive success of the JK and JL

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I was thinking about this today while I was at the gym. The Jeep Wrangler JK and JL (particularly the 4 door models) have been a massive success for FCA. While they may be attracting all sorts of import tuners who are turning out pimp mobiles left and right, the upside to this is that it brings more attention to the Jeep Wrangler in general, including the older generations.

What that hopefully means in the long run is that our TJs continue to hold value (or go up in value), and maybe with more interest in Wranglers in general, parts manufacturers will stick around and support our TJs for longer.

Don't know what FCA means. I did see a mildly lifted JL (at least I think it was, had new paper plates) and it was pretty bitchin. All black, probably 35's, nice bumpers and winch. Did have a led bar so -1 for that. I watched a video where they put 37's, yes 37" tires on 17's, on a stock JL. And they fit with minimal interference. The plan was a small lift in the future to go along with it.

Reactions: Starrs and StG58
Don't know what FCA means. I did see a mildly lifted JL (at least I think it was, had new paper plates) and it was pretty bitchin. All black, probably 35's, nice bumpers and winch. Did have a led bar so -1 for that. I watched a video where they put 37's, yes 37" tires on 17's, on a stock JL. And they fit with minimal interference. The plan was a small lift in the future to go along with it.
You can put 35s on a stock JL Rubicon now with no lift right from the dealership. Highline fenders come on the rubis now

Reactions: StG58
To coin a phrase you can't swing a dead cat in this area without hitting one or the other. Local dealer has a few option packages they offer, tires wheels trick shocks, bumpers, winch, roof rack, big spare tire carrier, sliders, the list goes on. Even on the four door they look pretty good, but very expensive decked out like that.

B

It's a good thing, I think, that the JK's and now the JL's have gotten way more people into driving a Wrangler. Heck, I'm developing a "thing" for a red JLR. The more people who mall crawl these things, the more who are going to venture out. The more who venture out, even just on FSR's, the better it's going to be for everyone. Exposure to the folks who live and work out there might just change a few attitudes. That would be good, right?

As long as we're not ass holes to the newbies in the back of beyond, that is.

I'm a bit less enamored with the popularity, especially the glut of 4-doors with soccer moms. It's because they've bought into the FCA marketing image rather than, I feel, the capabilities of the vehicle.

It's like people who get convertible M3s - the whole point of an M3 is that it's a taut, quick and nimble sports car. When you hack the roof off so people can see you when you drive it, you negate so much of what makes an M3 an M3. I feel the same way about 4-door Jeeps.

Sure, there are some of you on here who use the 4-doors to take your 2.5 kids on trails and stuff - but I'd wager the vast majority never do. And that's a shame.

Reactions: Chris
Not sure, but I looked at a JLR over the weekend and I liked it ( Did not drive it though) I am not a big fan of the JK's but I think that they made some nice improvements with the JL's. If the diesel does come out in 19 like they say it might be tempting, if it was red.

Not sure, but I looked at a JLR over the weekend and I liked it ( Did not drive it though) I am not a big fan of the JK's but I think that they made some nice improvements with the JL's. If the diesel does come out in 19 like they say it might be tempting, if it was red.
I'm waiting for them to arrive out here...was told September or October...right hand drives go the UK first then Aussie and then us.:(

Reactions: DWLJ
I am fairly neutral to the increase of Jeep popularity.

Depending on the lens I view it from, I could find good and bad outcomes.

A PESSIMISTIC example... IF the increase leads to an increase in off road use... then that could be bad. You have more people using and possibly abusing the trails.

That could lead to more traffic jams on the trail.. or to destroyed trails due to human stupidity. Trail shutdowns or fees will come next. I am surprised California doesn't charge a toll per trail already.

Either way, I am fairly neutral. I just hate how every 3rd vehicle in San Diego is a decked out JK. One thing I liked about the Wrangler was how unique it was. In 2005, I was surrounded by rice rockets and tuners. So I got the antithesis to that.

You can put 35s on a stock JL Rubicon now with no lift right from the dealership. Highline fenders come on the rubis now
You can put em on, but you can't wheel it. One of the local shops got a loaner from a dealer to try some combinations on. The 35s almost touched the fenders, and with an offset rim they won't tuck inside when they flex, they will just hit the edge of the fender unfortunately.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

I am fairly neutral to the increase of Jeep popularity.

Depending on the lens I view it from, I could find good and bad outcomes.

A PESSIMISTIC example... IF the increase leads to an increase in off road use... then that could be bad. You have more people using and possibly abusing the trails.

That could lead to more traffic jams on the trail.. or to destroyed trails due to human stupidity. Trail shutdowns or fees will come next. I am surprised California doesn't charge a toll per trail already.

Either way, I am fairly neutral. I just hate how every 3rd vehicle in San Diego is a decked out JK. One thing I liked about the Wrangler was how unique it was. In 2005, I was surrounded by rice rockets and tuners. So I got the antithesis to that.
Enough attention to get a Trail Tollways called T-Pass on jeeps.
.......... and Free-Pass on Prius.

Last edited:
I just hate how every 3rd vehicle in San Diego is a decked out JK. One thing I liked about the Wrangler was how unique it was. In 2005, I was surrounded by rice rockets and tuners. So I got the antithesis to that.

The nice thing is that all the decked out Wranglers you see are almost always 4 door models. It's pretty rare to see a nicely done up 2 door model, which makes me smile when I do see one. Sorry, but I think that a true Wrangler is a 2 door, not a 4 door.

The nicest thing is, a lot of people get adventurous, and think it's a great idea to buy a new Jeep, then get bored with them in 6 months because it's not like their previous 4Runner or Pathfinder. Then they go on sale used and can be picked up for quite a bit less than new. It's been happening since Wranglers went on sale in 1986.

The one problem, however, is they're mostly 4 doors.