The power of small

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
My folks divorced years ago.

Recently , my mother had surgery and complications at a large, regional medical center - she came close to death but made it and was released a little over a week later-they were competent enough but the blood clots could have been anticipated better (melanoma associated clots are a given) and the size of the big machine she was in meant multiple buildings and some inherent ineffeciency, as well as a constantly changing staff. Not evil. Just the nature of the beast.

My dad fell apart last friday- stroke, mini stroke, uti/staph infection, diabetes, partially blocked arteries preceded by drastic weight loss and high PSA numbers and cancer markers-

We took him to a local , small town hub hospital - it has been amazing-he got more tests and results and follow up treatment in a few hours than she got in a week...they watched him like a hawk and made every adjustment needed as they learned more-

He is a very sick man, but this experience was as good as we could expect.

Moral- small size can be an advantage in business- a fly can walk on the ceiling because of it’s size. An elephant can never do that.

In a Wal Mart world moving everyone toward self checkout, a small business can still thrive by giving better personal service.

Last edited:
Sounds like he's in good hands. Hang in there and wishing you and your folks the best!

Reactions: AndyG
Agree 💯

For the first time in my life I've found a medical clinic where I actually trust the doc to know what he's doing. It's part of a big network so I get the tech benefits of being able to log in and view test results, message my doctor, etc, but his office runs like a small business. I was dealing with some acid reflux and antacids prescribed by another doc were giving me cardiac side effects. He did a full workup right there, thyroid labs, ekg, brought me back the next week to do an echocardiogram, in house and much less expensively than a hospital or independent cardiac imaging office. It all came back normal so now I not only know my heart is in good shape, I didn't inherit my dad's hyperthyroidism, I shouldn't use Pepcid, and I walked out with a natural supplement based on licorice root that was more effective than antacids AND didn't make my heart pound out of my chest while I was trying to go to sleep.

Reactions: AndyG
Agree 💯

For the first time in my life I've found a medical clinic where I actually trust the doc to know what he's doing. It's part of a big network so I get the tech benefits of being able to log in and view test results, message my doctor, etc, but his office runs like a small business. I was dealing with some acid reflux and antacids prescribed by another doc were giving me cardiac side effects. He did a full workup right there, thyroid labs, ekg, brought me back the next week to do an echocardiogram, in house and much less expensively than a hospital or independent cardiac imaging office. It all came back normal so now I not only know my heart is in good shape, I didn't inherit my dad's hyperthyroidism, I shouldn't use Pepcid, and I walked out with a natural supplement based on licorice root that was more effective than antacids AND didn't make my heart pound out of my chest while I was trying to go to sleep.

This is a perfect example of the difference that someone slowing down and being thorough can make. And I can’t think of any field that is needed more in than medicine.

At the same time I know they are up against a vastly complex job- One doctor wrote that medicine and medical care will never be as simple as we like it to be- But his entire book was geared toward not losing this in the process.

Sort of like I tell my construction workers- This is supposed to be home improvement.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low