The Quest For High Quality Rattle Can Paint

MarvinL

Supporting Member
The clear coat was peeling on my hood so I decided to repaint it . We don't have a spray gun or the equipment to support one, and me being the kind of guy that likes to do everything myself the quest for high quality rattle can paint began. I had heard a lot of good about SEM paint so that is what I chose for the primer and base coat. In my searching around I came across the 2k Spray Max clear coat and that is what I chose for the clear coat. Now for the fun part.

First things first Prep
I opted to us a wire wheel on the grinder to take off the old paint
IMG_20190610_155407.jpg
primer and base coat

Clear coat: I was impressed with the SEM paint, but as far as all around quality ( spray pattern coverage ect ) Spray Max has got them beat

Bonus photos

before

IMG_20190610_121536.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting and -T.
Dang that looks good! Kudos, awesome work.

Are you happy with the results? You're looking at them up close...

Dang that looks good! Kudos, awesome work.

Are you happy with the results? You're looking at them up close...

I was actually very impressed the only problem I have with it is there is a few dust specks but that is to be expected with out a paint booth. It has great depth and clarity. I will post more pics once I have it installed. I

Reactions: JMT
That Spraymax lays down surprisingly nice for a rattle can. The first time I used it, I neglected to release the hardener into the can, however. It looked fantastic until the first time I hit with something minor, like glass cleaner. Then, it became a big gooey mess. Lesson learned! :)

Chip Foose in a can!

That looks great! I've never gone the rattle can route, always just bought a cheap harbor freight gravity gun and let it rip in the garage w/ the door open a foot or so and a blower pointed outside. Your results look fantastic though. What was your total project $$$ if you don't mind?

Great results. Thanks for the write up.
Where do you find the correct base coat for the finish paint color?

Thanks, I used the SEM base coat 19423. I honestly just picked it at random but I was impressed at how well it matched.

Chip Foose in a can!

That looks great! I've never gone the rattle can route, always just bought a cheap harbor freight gravity gun and let it rip in the garage w/ the door open a foot or so and a blower pointed outside. Your results look fantastic though. What was your total project $$$ if you don't mind?

I think I've got about $400 in it. The paint averaged around $25 a can. I don't think it's the cheapest option but I love being able to say I did it myself WITH a rattle can.

What did you use for the wet sand and polish?

I used 1500 grit sandpaper and a sanding sponge and then finished up with 3000 grit. For the polish I used 3M PERFECT IT. I hit it first with the compound and then finished up with polish.

• Love
Reactions: JMT and qslim