The reminders that life is temporary are becoming closer together

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
I'm now at the age where everyone I knew when I was young is gone. And, those that I met later in life are disappearing as well. This past week I lost two more that meant something to me. One taught me that it's okay to admit you're wrong and that good friends are rare. The other that we're on this planet to serve others, not ourselves. I will miss them and am grateful for the privilege of having spent time with them.

As much as I enjoy my Jeeps, I would happily give them up for 5 more minutes with anyone I've lost that meant something. Especially, my parents, who I lost many years ago! :(

Last edited:
We lost a real close friend unexpectedly just over a month ago. Since he passed we've realized that life is too short and our mutual friend group has been making a real effort to invest more time with each other. In the last month I've had more beer, family dinners, late nights and conversations with friends than I can remember. Don't take anyone for granted, because tomorrow is never guaranteed

We lost a real close friend unexpectedly just over a month ago. Since he passed we've realized that life is too short and our mutual friend group has been making a real effort to invest more time with each other. In the last month I've had more beer, family dinners, late nights and conversations with friends than I can remember. Don't take anyone for granted, because tomorrow is never guaranteed
There certainly is a bit of irony in the fact that it takes death to remind us to live!

I maintain that for as long as someone lives on in your memories and heart, then they are never truly gone. It's for that reason that I try and speak of those that I lost on a fairly regular basis, either by quoting something they said, or sharing stories about them. I still talk to my Dad's picture every few days...

I'm in the middle phase where the losses are transitioning from accidents and suicides to the kinds of cancer that strike in the 30s and 40s. Getting some time in with our aging parents is most of what moved us from Colorado to Oklahoma last year.

Reactions: NOTNSUV
I've had two friends recently die. One was my guitar buddy who I always used to jam with.

He was 70 years old and the other guy was 69. I'm 39 though so I'm not sure what that says about me. Somehow many the people I'm friends with are considerably older than I am.

In any case, I really miss those guys and it's served as a reminder to me that life is indeed short.

I've had two friends recently die. One was my guitar buddy who I always used to jam with.

He was 70 years old and the other guy was 69. I'm 39 though so I'm not sure what that says about me. Somehow many the people I'm friends with are considerably older than I am.

In any case, I really miss those guys and it's served as a reminder to me that life is indeed short.
That's interesting. I've always gotten along better with those considerably older than I am - and to a lesser extent, those who are considerably younger than I am. My age mates not so much - I've found many/most people right around my age to be fuddy duddies and/or "whitebread" as Hell.

Sorry about your loss.

I'm almost 50 and survived cancer, gave me a new perspective on life. I bought my first Jeep shortly after and try to get out more.

My dad is in his 80's, getting chemo, only expected to live another 1 - 4 years. Mother has Alzheimer's and now doesn't always remember who I am. So trying to have conversations with my dad that I regret not having with my mom.

I had a fellow Jeeper commit suicide this year. We weren't very close friends, but still is a shock when someone has teenage kids and does something like that and leaves their family to pick up the pieces.

Definitely agree with living now. If there's something you've been wanting to do your whole life, get it planned and checked off the list.

That's interesting. I've always gotten along better with those considerably older than I am - and to a lesser extent, those who are considerably younger than I am. My age mates not so much - I've found many/most people right around my age to be fuddy duddies and/or "whitebread" as Hell.
I think the reason I get along with older folks so much better is because I really enjoy hearing their stories about times I never got to experience. I love sitting around and listening to older folks talk about those sorts of things. I only wish I had this sort of wisdom when I was younger because I could have listened to so many of these WWII veterans that have long since passed.

I think the reason I get along with older folks so much better is because I really enjoy hearing their stories about times I never got to experience. I love sitting around and listening to older folks talk about those sorts of things. I only wish I had this sort of wisdom when I was younger because I could have listened to so many of these WWII veterans that have long since passed.
I too enjoy the old stories. I grew up steeped in WW 2 history, a subject that interests me highly to this day. My father was Navy - Pacific theatre.

Another realization hit me recently. I learned Belly Dance at the knee of many a storied old crone - most of who have now retired and/or have passed on. But now I'm the "crone" - storied or otherwise - and am passing "it" on to a younger generation of dancers. I taught my current teacher how to dance with a veil - and she has surpassed me which is all any teacher wants!

Once in a while I'll be in a workshop being taught by another old timer - and we usually know the same dancers!

Reactions: Chris