The saga of my Rampage (or any other brand) soft top installation:

This looks like a hot mess. Typically, you cannot put up a top without the bows. The bows not only give it support but also us what you use to bring the top up and over everything. I don’t know how you can attempt to do that backwards.

The front attachment to the header also looks messed up. It is possible for headers to be top specific so not sure if that is even the right one. It does not look right and certainly doesn’t seal right.

Reactions: ranger101
I don’t have any soft top experience but it looks like the bows aren’t in the right place to begin with. In the picture above showing the interior of the Jeep, why is that bow by the roll bar? Is that not supposed to be all the way back first before you set the top on? Get your frame in place first and then start putting the top on.

I did that first. And ended up with a 2 inch gap to get my side window into the slots along the body. Which was impossible to do.

So I switched to moving the bows down. Getting everything fit and zipped up. And then I'll be applying heat and trying to push the bows into place.

Heat is going to be your friend here. I once put on my soft top when I thought spring was coming and in the middle of the swap it started snowing. Never again!

Can you wait until summer to install or maybe have a friend with a heated garage that can be turned up to 80 or so?

Ya. Your right. If I can't get it with a heater inside and a heat gun on the outside. I'll have to find a garage I can do it in. Mine is full of furniture.

And I'm with you - never again during winter or even early spring. IT's gotta be above 80f I'd imagine for this to work. I'm just holding out hope that the heater and heat gun work. I might ad a tarp over the whole thing too.

I did that first. And ended up with a 2 inch gap to get my side window into the slots along the body. Which was impossible to do.

So I switched to moving the bows down. Getting everything fit and zipped up. And then I'll be applying heat and trying to push the bows into place.

That’s going to give you nothing but troubles. I hate to say it, but pull the top and start over. Put the bows in the correct location and figure out what you’re doing wrong. Start from the front and work your way back. You’ll never get the bows to fold back with the top in place.

This looks like a hot mess. Typically, you cannot put up a top without the bows. The bows not only give it support but also us what you use to bring the top up and over everything. I don’t know how you can attempt to do that backwards.

The front attachment to the header also looks messed up. It is possible for headers to be top specific so not sure if that is even the right one. It does not look right and certainly doesn’t seal right.

Read my post above about the bows. I've already tried it with the bows up. And am left trying to get the bottom of the window into the slots on the body. Impossible to do in it's current coldness and non stretching state.

I may agree with you on the header. When I started I was shocked to see bolt holding my clamps on the header. And not a simple latch that you could latch by hand. I was told I have the OEM header from early TJ's. Mine is a '99. So maybe there is another bow that will work better. But when I contacted Rampage they directed me to their bow. But it looks exactly like mine. So I'm at a loss.

Until I can really heat it up I won't know what the real issue is. But I will be playing with the header again. IF the bows won't go up into place.

That’s going to give you nothing but troubles. I hate to say it, but pull the top and start over. Put the bows in the correct location and figure out what you’re doing wrong. Start from the front and work your way back. You’ll never get the bows to fold back with the top in place.

The one thing I haven't done yet is apply a heat gun to it while heating the inside with a heater. IF moving the bows fails. I'm going to do just that - start over. Try it in the conventional order of header first. Which again, is what I did originally.

All in all I think most of it is a heat issue. I should not have attempted this during the one week of winter we get here a year. If I can find an empty garage that will be my next step as well.

If you saw it during the first attempt with the bows up. It looked good. But again that one last window was a good 2+ inches away being able to seat in the slots on the body at the bottom of the window.

So you have the door surrounds in and the top attached to them? The top fits into the surrounds pulling it back some also. Temperature or not, I don’t see you stretching that material 2-3”. Meaning there’s a step that you’re missing.

Reactions: primetime4
So you have the door surrounds in and the top attached to them? The top fits into the surrounds pulling it back some also. Temperature or not, I don’t see you stretching that material 2-3”. Meaning there’s a step that you’re missing.
Agree. Even though a hot day is recommended, you should still be able to tuck things in without it. It may not zip all the way or the Velcro may not touch but we’re talking half and inch to an inch here tops. Global warming isn’t going to give you 2 inches.

Reactions: ranger101

I don't even have door surrounds in. I didn't have them. The soft top this is replacing didn't need them. I have a new oem set coming.

If I'm only supposed to be an inch or so off because of cold. You're right. Something is wrong. But I suspect it's not the install or cold as much as it is the top. But we'll see. I still haven't tried any of these steps with a heat gun.

With everything done from front to back (not like I have it now. But doing from front to back. Like I did the first time. I did front to back second time too. I just switched between zippers closed and open.), all the zips done, you have a 2 inch gap at the front bottom of one window. IT will go in the slot on that one window about half way and then the second half won't go in. Or you can put the window down in the slot on the bottom with the window unzipped. But then you have the same gap in the window zipper. And to try to close that gap with the zipper caused me to pull off one zipper pull. Something was going to rip. So I stopped.

Done the textbook way (meaning front to back) the passenger side looks like this. Pretty much perfect. With the exception of the surround missing:

20190111_161141.jpg

But at about where this pic ends on the left. It won't go into the slot on the bottom on the other side - the drivers side. You end up with a big gap there in the front half - bottom of the window. ABout 2 inches at the front end where it meets the door.

So like I said. You can either make up the gap in the zipper, in the slot at the bottom or inside with the bows. AFter trying to do it with the zipper and the bottom slots. I am now going to attempt to do it with the bows. As the zipper felt like it was breaking. And the plastic trim would not go into the slot at the bottom no matter how hard you pulled down on the top. You'd have to attach something alot heavier than a bowling ball to the bottom of the top to get it to go in the slot. But with 2 inches to make up - it would probably tare before it stretched down that far.

Hopefully it won't rain tomorrow. And I can try all ways again with a heat gun and heat inside.

First I'll leave it how it is, heat it up good, and try to get the bows to push up into position. There pretty close now. As you can see in that one pic. It's only a couple inches from sliding back into the velcro fasteners. And the far back bow is fairly close to extending up in the rearward position where it holds everything in the back up. Then if that doesn't work with some coaxing. I'll take it out of the header. Redo the header and try the conventional way. But with as much heat as I can get on it.

I suspect not only is it the cold. (And it's not that cold. My first attempt was in the low 60's). But that these tops are just poorly fitted. Thus the $182 sale. That and I have an early TJ. With an odd header. That may be contributing to the problem as well. I don't really know who made my bows either. That may be contributing too.

As mrblaine said (and he helped the original designer.) the original designer lost out contractually on the ability to address fitment issues. They are now made in China according to Rampages tech support. And they don't have that much control over fitment. And that's the answer I got direct from Rampages tech support. "We have those made for us. So we don't always know what the fitment is.". Or words to that effect.

But again, not trying to blame my install skills on them. It could just be heat. And a different way of putting it on. We'll see tomorrow. Or on the next not rainy day.

To me, those middle bows are way too high and that is what is causing your issue. That’s my over-the-Internet professional opinion from what I can see. Are you sure that the bows are 100% in place? Nothing causing them to bind up or give you troubles? I’m not trying to tell you the answer or how to do it by any means. Just trying to help you eliminate any possible issues.

I will follow your advice on the skins. Thank you.

What doesn't look right about the header? The header itself or the the way I have the top installed into it? And if it's not the right header which one should I be using?

Thank you for posting, mrblaine. Your by far the best expert on this I could ever hope to talk to.
I'm not very familiar with that type header. I've only used them on bikini tops and safari tops and they work well for that but again, I'm not even sure you have that type. The OEM header does have the fabric screwed to it and then flipped forward up and back over the header so all you see is fabric covering the header.

If you want to give an OEM header a try, I think I have a junk frame I can pull one off of.

To me, those middle bows are way too high and that is what is causing your issue. That’s my over-the-Internet professional opinion from what I can see. Are you sure that the bows are 100% in place? Nothing causing them to bind up or give you troubles? I’m not trying to tell you the answer or how to do it by any means. Just trying to help you eliminate any possible issues.

The bows are definitely a tight place. But they are in the same position as when I took the old top off. They aren't adjustable. Except for the back one you have three or four position slots you can tighten it with. But even trying to get it in the least tight setting. It won't go. Without heat that is. The most heat I've had is that space heater set at about 80f. But with several gaps around the top. It didn't hold in much heat.

I don't know much about bows. So I'm not sure if different version were made. Maybe these are Bestop bows? And only work with Bestop tops? IDK. I'll look around on the old soft top and on the bows and see if I can find any maker marks.

Read my post above about the bows. I've already tried it with the bows up. And am left trying to get the bottom of the window into the slots on the body. Impossible to do in it's current coldness and non stretching state.

I may agree with you on the header. When I started I was shocked to see bolt holding my clamps on the header. And not a simple latch that you could latch by hand. I was told I have the OEM header from early TJ's. Mine is a '99. So maybe there is another bow that will work better. But when I contacted Rampage they directed me to their bow. But it looks exactly like mine. So I'm at a loss.

Until I can really heat it up I won't know what the real issue is. But I will be playing with the header again. IF the bows won't go up into place.
You do not have the early header from a 97. All OEM headers have the two clamps that latch the header down.

I'm not very familiar with that type header. I've only used them on bikini tops and safari tops and they work well for that but again, I'm not even sure you have that type. The OEM header does have the fabric screwed to it and then flipped forward up and back over the header so all you see is fabric covering the header.

If you want to give an OEM header a try, I think I have a junk frame I can pull one off of.

I'm willing to try anything. Can you send me a pic first? At least see if it's that different from what I have? I will say though if it has holes for screwing things in - it's different from the header I have. Mine is riveted. And the slot does not open. Nor does the bottom of the header have any place with screw holes.