The Sienna Pearl

Qaddiction

Purchased a 2001 Sienna Pearl TJ a couple years ago. Originally it was going to be my son's vehicle, but it ended up becoming mine. I am a newby to Jeeps and I'm also not a mechanic! Unfortunately, I see all kind of nice Jeeps on these forums so I started reading and trying to learn as much as I can. The Jeep is an automatic 3 speed with 200,000 miles on it. Here are some pictures taken shortly after I brought it home.

0921171635b.jpg

Last edited:
The stock headlights were horrible. I opted to install some Inspired Engineering Halo's to take their place. Removed the side steps, milk jugs, and spare tire as well.

Last edited:
Thanks! After lurking on several forums for countless hours, I found a look that I liked. The LCOG Jeep really looks good to me. I know a lot of forum members don't care for them (at least the hardcore climbers), but it's what I like. This is hard to admit, but I have never been wheeling before. This is my first Jeep and I am 47 years old. My plans are to do some overlanding and easy to medium trails with my family. With that said, I still have a look that I like and I want my Jeep to be a capable rig in case I really enjoy wheeling.

So here are my thoughts and a list of parts that I already have in my garage, or on my Jeep. Again, trying to complete the look that I want and hopefully a more than capable rig for my needs.

Metalcloak fenders, flares, sliders, and bumpers.
Metalcloak adjustable aluminum control arms, and trackbars.
XJ upgraded tie rod and drag link conversion.
Currie Antirock sway bar.
H&R springs with Bilstein 5100 shocks
1.25" Body Lift and 1" Brown Dog MML
Mickey Thompson Baja MTZP3 - 35 X 12.50
Mickey Thompson Deegan Pro 4 15 x 10 rims

I consider myself somewhat handy. Not useless at least...lol But I have never, ever worked on vehicles before. So this project scares me! We'll see how much I can actually do myself.

I looked at my list of parts and foolishly thought, heck lets start with the body lift. I mean how hard is it too loosen 11 bolts and slide in some spacers. I'm sure you are all laughing at this point. Well, that is when I found out why I have never worked on cars before. The first bolt came out without any issues. I'm thinking, piece of cake. Then I snapped the heads off the next 7 in a row. I left 3 in tact, figuring maybe that was enough to drive it somewhere to have someone else more capable than me finish it. I went to a few shops around me and nobody wanted to touch it. At that point I was discouraged.

I finally had a shop near me say that would help, but it would be a few weeks before they could work me in. So I turned my attention towards the Metalcloak fenders. It never went too smoothly, but I managed to install front and rear fenders along with the front and rear bumpers as seen in the pictures above. I had my tires mounted on the rims. I know the Jeep is not capable of running them right now, but I couldn't help myself with wanting to see how they would look. So my son talked me into mounting them.

Reactions: b0xcar
When installing the front fenders, I moved my turn signals into my grill. I bought the JK lights and drilled the holes in my grill as I have seen in other forum threads. I also installed the Savvy led taillights and moved my license plate and mounted a 3rd brake light and license plate light off of the motobuilt relocation bracket.

The Jeep is equipped with the Dana 30 up front and the Dana 35 out back. The axles are currently what I am trying to learn more about. It looks like I can upgrade the Dana 30 front to chromoly and be able to run 4.56 gears and a locker ok on 35's from what I have read. Not sure if that would leave me enough strength to go to 37's down the road if the temptation ever came over me.

Also looks like I could go with a super 35 for the back and be ok on my 35's. Again, that probably eliminates my possibility of 37's I'm guessing. Here is where I need help. Keep in mind, I don't think I will ever become a hardcore rock climber. I'm also fighting the money issue. What's the cheapest route to go which could keep my dream alive of mildly running 37's someday?

Last edited:
I just bought the exact same jeep, color and year about a month ago, love that look you are going for! Of course, my wife has already told me not to spend so much time and money on "The Mistriss"

I consider myself somewhat handy. Not useless at least...lol But I have never, ever worked on vehicles before. So this project scares me! We'll see how much I can actually do myself.

I looked at my list of parts and foolishly thought, heck lets start with the body lift. I mean how hard is it too loosen 11 bolts and slide in some spacers. I'm sure you are all laughing at this point. Well, that is when I found out why I have never worked on cars before. The first bolt came out without any issues. I'm thinking, piece of cake. Then I snapped the heads off the next 7 in a row. I left 3 in tact, figuring maybe that was enough to drive it somewhere to have someone else more capable than me finish it. I went to a few shops around me and nobody wanted to touch it. At that point I was discouraged.

I finally had a shop near me say that would help, but it would be a few weeks before they could work me in. So I turned my attention towards the Metalcloak fenders. It never went too smoothly, but I managed to install front and rear fenders along with the front and rear bumpers as seen in the pictures above. I had my tires mounted on the rims. I know the Jeep is not capable of running them right now, but I couldn't help myself with wanting to see how they would look. So my son talked me into mounting them.

If you don't mind some bolt heads exposed on the floor, you could just drill through the floor, add your body mounts and some steel plates and fasten with some locking nuts on the bottom. Just cost you the price of some new nuts and bolts.

That's what I am leaning towards doing. The shop that said they would help has never got back with me. Guessing they are too busy with easier jobs. Guess I will see if I can get this done myself.

Planning on cutting a hole just above the body mount bolt, then using a dremmel to cut the original bolt off flat, then drilling them out? Does that sound right?

That's what I am leaning towards doing. The shop that said they would help has never got back with me. Guessing they are too busy with easier jobs. Guess I will see if I can get this done myself.

Planning on cutting a hole just above the body mount bolt, then using a dremmel to cut the original bolt off flat, then drilling them out? Does that sound right?

Loosen all body mounting bolts. Included one in front for radiator.
Loosen one side about 1", remove all bolts from other side. Lift and support side of body with the bolts removed.
Remove body mounts, cut the head off bolts that spin. Ones that come out will be reused, ones that don't, cut those off right at body mount. The spun nut will probably fall away. These you can drill through from bottom, all the way through the floor.
I would put a plate between body mount and bushing. All you mounts have either already failed from rust, or are about to.
Sawsall will work well.

Disclaimer: I have not done this personally, I also have the same issue as you. I am going to weld in new body mounts. I'm doing the work myself, so cost isn't an issue.
You can also go this route. Don't know what it may cost to have the work done.

Well, I started working on my broken body mount bolts. What a pain. I'm getting closer though. I'm hoping to get some time tonight to work on it. Here are a few pictures of the mess I have made. I have drilled several body mount bolts out at this point. I have one more to cut out by the back bumper and I am thinking the last two will come out how they are supposed to!

IMG_20180927_194038.jpg
IMG_20180927_194426.jpg
IMG_20180925_192709.jpg
IMG_20180925_192716.jpg
IMG_20181010_194308.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike_H
Are those the rear upper shock bolts? If so, even on my 100% rust free frame, they're still a bitch to deal with.

One more reason I'll be very happy once my outboard shock conversion is done. I'll never have to mess with that stupid design again.

Are those the rear upper shock bolts? If so, even on my 100% rust free frame, they're still a bitch to deal with.

One more reason I'll be very happy once my outboard shock conversion is done. I'll never have to mess with that stupid design again.

No, I still have those upper shock bolts to look forward too! These are all body mount bolt pictures. I couldn't get the back 2 by the bumper. They are enclosed. So I had to cut an "H" and bend the metal down to gain access. You can see a piece of cardboard to the side. I wedged it between the gas tank and the shower of sparks I was making! I plan on getting the other side done tonight.

Reactions: Chris