The source of my death wobble (see video)

wranglerjaymz

So have been searching on the forums and interwebs looking for the source of my quasi-death wobble. I say quasi because it’s not the full on violent shake I experienced in my JK, but upon hitting a bump or pothole my LJR does quite the shimmy.

Anyways, based on the plethora of advice, had my son turn the steering wheel as I looked for movement where there shouldn’t be. I noticed vertical movement on the frame end of the track bar mount (see video).

Obviously, I intend to start by re-torquing this castle and seeing if it just came loose, but if the bushing is shot I intend to buy a replacement track bar.

Thoughts on this being the source?

‘06 LJR, stock with 1.25” BL and 1” MML. 31” Toyo MTs

I think its a ball joint. No bushing and I wouldn’t bother trying to tighten. Just a worn out ball joint that needs replacement. Should see a big improvement!

It looks like slack in the ball joint. I think if it were loose, the stud and nut would move up and down with the track bar. But checking the tightness is a whole lot cheaper than replacing the joint or the whole trackbar.

Changed out the track bar with a stock length moog today. Definitely tightened up the steering but hit a bump and still got the shimmy. A bit deflated. Will work on the lower control arm bushings next...they look dry and cracked.

You are going in a smart direction. Death wobble is not always cut and dried, but generally solvable.