The Spousal Unit

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
I may have created a monster.

The wife and I have been fighting leaks in her half door JKU for a year now.

I came in the house today and she had wet interior parts spread over three rooms. I said "You'd kill me if I had Jeep parts laying around the house!". She said "Software, it doesn't count...".

I'll tell you what, you picked the wrong state for a leaky vehicle (or is it the other way around)! :risas3:
Definitely the wrong vehicle for a leaky state.
Ya, so, I'll agree that I'm sometimes dumber than a bag of rocks. But it's one good looking cherry red JKU and all Wranglers deserve a little love.

Besides that, the wife is getting closer to figuring out what she wants to do with it. I think the results should speak for themselves.

Reactions: Chris
I may have created a monster.

The wife and I have been fighting leaks in her half door JKU for a year now.

I came in the house today and she had wet interior parts spread over three rooms. I said "You'd kill me if I had Jeep parts laying around the house!". She said "Software, it doesn't count...".
Buy her a TJ Rubicon LJ and you'll save your marriage :)

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and StG58
are there any TSBs for it? i think i heard a while back about it being a common issue
There is. There's also a kit that has various foam seal pieces and butyl rubber to seal up areas that are prone to leaking. Good pictures and instructions on what to look for and how to apply the fixes. Unfortunately, the JKU has a defective top or the PO fiddled with the top trying to stop the leaks enough to encourage the current downpours.

At this point, Bestop is going to get some business when the weather warms up enough to install a new top and the local Jeep Dealer is going to cough up a repair kit. They're not all that expensive in the grand scheme of things.

Buy her a TJ Rubicon LJ and you'll save your marriage :)
Won't work unless there's a way to add the rear doors to a TJ that doesn't suck. She really likes the bigger size of the JK's. Says it goes well with smaller TJ. She does have a point...the JKU is great for long distance road trips. And you can wheel the snot out of it when you get there.

But that's a different story for a different time.

I'm at the point where I'm about to rip out all the carpet and install both plastic interior and a liquid drain system in my Jeep!
How's your TJ set up? My '99 stays relatively dry inside, as in no leaks, and it has the half doors and a cheap soft top. And Gorilla tape holding the top together. TJ tops seem to hold together pretty well and work most of the time. The inside gets damp-ish, but not soaking wet.

How's your TJ set up? My '99 stays relatively dry inside, as in no leaks, and it has the half doors and a cheap soft top. And Gorilla tape holding the top together. TJ tops seem to hold together pretty well and work most of the time. The inside gets damp-ish, but not soaking wet.

I'll get random leaks in the days after wheeling. The other 50% of the time, it's just self-inflicted moisture from driving with the windows cracked in the rain or me leaving one of the doors cracked open overnight in the woods during the PNW fall/winter monsoons.

I did learn the hard way about that dumb narrow drain slot under the hood cowling under the windshield. Woke up to 4" of water in my passenger footwell that had entered through the heater vent, blew out 10lbs of that hellacious red clay/mud that the previous owner left me as an Easter egg present >.<

I'll get random leaks in the days after wheeling. The other 50% of the time, it's just self-inflicted moisture from driving with the windows cracked in the rain or me leaving one of the doors cracked open overnight in the woods during the PNW fall/winter monsoons.

I did learn the hard way about that dumb narrow drain slot under the hood cowling under the windshield. Woke up to 4" of water in my passenger footwell that had entered through the heater vent, blew out 10lbs of that hellacious red clay/mud that the previous owner left me as an Easter egg present >.<
Oh yaaa... that thing is a pita. Between the pineneedles, moss and general collected crud, you can get a flood of biblical proportions going. My rubber flap deal is under the workbench someplace, not on the Jeep. No standing water on the floorboards. The inside stays dampish for about seven months our of the year, but I think it's because of wet bodies in and out all the time. That and leaving a door open "for just a second" while you do something outside the Jeep. I just shrug and live with that level of damp. It's the wet side of Oregon after all. Even the Suburban gets good and damp inside from use and abuse.