The TJ specific wheel thread

KingCarGuyZ

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
So it has come to my attention that there is not a thread dedicated purely to the purpose of discussing wheels for TJ’s. I find this interesting as all the other forums I’ve been on normally have threads dedicated to arguing, I mean discussing which wheels are better for what and giving general opinions, normally they have one for tires to (coming soon?)

On that note I decided to make one so here we go, leave your opinions and comments below, hopefully I put this in the right places

my first complaint: I don’t get big wheels for Offroad, all these Jeeps and trucks running around with28” rims and 30” tires,WHY!?!?!

now, I always thought that the AR767 was a really good looking wheel for Jeeps (like theD-window style) But I recently found out there steel.

so now I’m eyeing the “mammoth boulder” but I would love to find some aluminum D-window wheels.

mammoths=https://www.extremeterrain.com/mammoth-boulder-charcoal-15-8-J100612.html

AR767’s:https://www.americanracing.com/product/wheels/ar767/

Any other suggestions for wheels for Jeeps, maybe @Chris could have some suggestions for low,med&high priced rims? Opinions on style. When do you really “need” beadlocks?

Wheel to sidewall ratio. If you have a 28" wheel and a 42" tire, then all of a sudden the size of the wheel doesn't look so stupid. However, on a TJ the largest I would ever go is a 17" wheel, and that assumes that you're really not going to go bigger than a 37. We see 40s on TJs occasionally, but those things are very, very built. More often the largest tire we see on a TJ is a 37, in which case a 17" is perfect.

When do you need beadlocks? Not unless you're doing some serious off-roading and airing down to the point where you are losing a bead. I think it's probably safe to say that the majority of people on this forum don't need beadlocks. Hell, I believe @jjvw and those guys are wheeling pretty hard out their in Colorado and still not using beadlocks.

Beadlocks are heavy, they cost a shit ton, they are expensive to mount and balance tires on, and for most of us they simply aren't necessary.

For 17" wheels for Jeeps I like the JK Moab factory wheels because they are cheap, easy to come by, and look good. For aftermarket wheels for the TJ, I really love the Method 305 (@Midnight LJR has a set on his) wheels.

So it has come to my attention that there is not a thread dedicated purely to the purpose of discussing wheels for TJ’s. I find this interesting as all the other forums I’ve been on normally have threads dedicated to arguing, I mean discussing which wheels are better for what and giving general opinions, normally they have one for tires to (coming soon?)

On that note I decided to make one so here we go, leave your opinions and comments below, hopefully I put this in the right places

my first complaint: I don’t get big wheels for Offroad, all these Jeeps and trucks running around with28” rims and 30” tires,WHY!?!?!

now, I always thought that the AR767 was a really good looking wheel for Jeeps (like theD-window style) But I recently found out there steel.

so now I’m eyeing the “mammoth boulder” but I would love to find some aluminum D-window wheels.

mammoths=https://www.extremeterrain.com/mammoth-boulder-charcoal-15-8-J100612.html

AR767’s:https://www.americanracing.com/product/wheels/ar767/

Any other suggestions for wheels for Jeeps, maybe @Chris could have some suggestions for low,med&high priced rims? Opinions on style. When do you really “need” beadlocks?

Black Rock makes an aluminum version...

https://www.blackrockwheels.com/wheels/product-detail/series-909b-type-d/
1598364636125.png

Wheel to sidewall ratio. If you have a 28" wheel and a 42" tire, then all of a sudden the size of the wheel doesn't look so stupid. However, on a TJ the largest I would ever go is a 17" wheel, and that assumes that you're really not going to go bigger than a 37. We see 40s on TJs occasionally, but those things are very, very built. More often the largest tire we see on a TJ is a 37, in which case a 17" is perfect.

When do you need beadlocks? Not unless you're doing some serious off-roading and airing down to the point where you are losing a bead. I think it's probably safe to say that the majority of people on this forum don't need beadlocks. Hell, I believe @jjvw and those guys are wheeling pretty hard out their in Colorado and still not using beadlocks.

Beadlocks are heavy, they cost a shit ton, they are expensive to mount and balance tires on, and for most of us they simply aren't necessary.

For 17" wheels for Jeeps I like the JK Moab factory wheels because they are cheap, easy to come by, and look good. For aftermarket wheels for the TJ, I really love the Method 305 (@Midnight LJR has a set on his) wheels.
yeah its the low aspect ratios that kill me, never like low profile tires.

Reactions: Chris
Last edited:
what are yalls wheels of choice and why?

Personally, I'm running AEV pintlers. Its actually a JK wheel. They are 17 x 9 with about a 5.25 backspacing. Since I also have to run an adapter, I have a 1.25" adapter to give me an effective 4" backspaced wheel. I get just a little bit of tire out past the fender and no rubbing. The Pintler has LONG been one of my favorite wheels, but since they don't make them in a TJ pattern anymore, I'm running the JK version.

1598369982310.png

Last edited:
Personally, I'm running AEV pintlers. Its actually a JK wheel. They are 17 x 9 with about a 5.25 backspacing. Since I also have to run an adapter, I have a 1.25" adapter to give me an effective 4" backspaced wheel. I get just a little bit of tire out past the fender and no rubbing. The Pintler has LONG been one of my favorite wheels, but since they don't make them in a TJ pattern anymore, I'm running the JK version.

View attachment 186079
Do you need to have a lift with this setup? What size tire is that you are running?

those look pretty nice, a little fancy but definitely in the right direction

ouch $170 a wheel, that hurts a little, or maybe i'm just a cheapskate

what are yalls wheels of choice and why?

https://www.americanracing.com/product/wheels/ar23/
I'm getting these eventually, American Racing AR23 in 15x8. I like the look of them, (I think most 5 spoke wheels look good on Wranglers in general), they are aluminum, from a well known manufacturer, and not expensive. I'll probably try to find a less pronounced center cap to use though.

https://www.americanracing.com/product/wheels/ar23/
I'm getting these eventually, American Racing AR23 in 15x8. I like the look of them, (I think most 5 spoke wheels look good on Wranglers in general), they are aluminum, from a well known manufacturer, and not expensive. I'll probably try to find a less pronounced center cap to use though.
5 spokes are ok, I have the canyons, some I kinda almost there. Though they are very “bubbly” I have decided I want a black wheel with the silver Jeep. Just can’t decide D-window or smoothies, maybe 5 spoke. Thinking of painting the canyons black, but I can’t find a picture of them and I’m just not sure it would look good.

5 spokes are ok, I have the canyons, some I kinda almost there. Though they are very “bubbly” I have decided I want a black wheel with the silver Jeep. Just can’t decide D-window or smoothies, maybe 5 spoke. Thinking of painting the canyons black, but I can’t find a picture of them and I’m just not sure it would look good.
Not sure I know what you mean by 'bubbly'... like too bright? As much as I don't like uber-shiny/chrome stuff, I am leaning towards getting them in the machined finish instead of satin black.

Also, the Moabs will always look great.

These are American Racing. Does anyone remember the model number? Also the clear coat is not in very good shape, and I am wondering what it would take to remove all of it.
96HrtCHh.jpg

Not sure I know what you mean by 'bubbly'... like too bright? As much as I don't like uber-shiny/chrome stuff, I am leaning towards getting them in the machined finish instead of satin black.

Also, the Moabs will always look great.
E46B4879-C095-46DC-B231-572322AC7F6E.jpeg
80AD5F07-EF61-4E7F-9291-DFCC417D286A.jpeg

those pictures do an ok job of showing it, but the wheels are like a bunch of radi, the center caps bulge out and there aren’t any 90* turns or sharp edges. It’s purely design im just not sure how it would look painted black. Also not sure on the whole bubbly wheels on a box in general.

Reactions: Tob
1600891559447.png

I see, kinda made them look like the new rubicons. looks like the tape lines didn't take as well. but helps to give you an idea of how it might look all black

I have Ravines, and love how they look, cleaning around the little bulge feature can take time, but manageable.