The Tool Kit

I may try and kill one of these this spring. Illegal to take in the lower 48. I am not one for taking something Im not going to eat is the reason I havent done it but wold seriously like a rug or a claw necklace

Anybody else here do yard sales and such? And grab up all the tools? My wife is a tool hound. I bet she bought 400 lbs of wrenches and sockets this past summer at give away prices. I have 3 full sets, 1 for each rig and a set for the house and still probably have 5 or 6 boxes full. Mainly made in USA Craftsman stuff. These city people don't have a clue what they are for.

i totally do this when the opportunity arises. i have some old tools from england, europe and usa that i use regularly, these particular tools if you were to walk into the best hardware store and buy the best current equivalent it would not even be a 1/4 as good or last near as long some of the tools ive hand picked and collected over the years.

mate those grizzlies are nuts, look at em all spread about the place looking for something to munch on. how the hell do sleep out there at night knowing that they're out there, in force and hungry...

man the last story i read about bears, while camping, daddy gotten eaten and so did his daughter.. momma bear came along with her cubs and kills and starts eating her dad, mauls daughter and leaves her maimed on the ground for the cubs to eat, she watches her dad get eaten by momma bear - at the same time she was able to call her mother on her mobile, while she herself was being eaten alive by the cubs and her last words were to her mum on the phone.. the bears are eating me mummy, its ok, it doesn't hurt anymore"

then awhile back i see this movie the revenant or something. there's a bear attack in that, i bet its exactly like that cept the bear happily eats you alive at the end of the mauling and you don't get saved..

at that moment i decided im gonna stay well away from bear countries.

and yes you totally need bear sized rug for your log cabin! a big male that's had his fill and is on his way out hehe

Reactions: JP13
I may try and kill one of these this spring. Illegal to take in the lower 48. I am not one for taking something Im not going to eat is the reason I havent done it but wold seriously like a rug or a claw necklace

Camp for a few days and eat all of the bear!

Camp for a few days and eat all of the bear!

sh!t can you do that, eat the bear?

look at all those bears i don't think i would last more than a few days out there. its must only be a matter of time before a bear eventually stumbles across you and decides your tasty enough eat, or sees that you've killed and eaten his cousin so they all decide to band together and take revenge in the night..

i heard about some bear mace or something, i can see bear just laughing while he slaps the can outta their hand and then proceeds to eat them alive.

im a hunter myself, feral eradication and to fill me and my dogs tummy but i don't know if i could pull the trigger one of these animals, unless of course it was "coming for me" then id empty every thing i had in it. but even then i don't think i could camp out somewhere where one of these could get the drop on me while i was taking a deuce.

i remember seeing a comparison once between an adult male Razorback skull (oz feral pig) and an Alaskan Grizzly skull - the Razorbacks skull, upper and lower jaw were significantly larger and apparently a lot stronger bite force wise, than that of the Grizzly Bear.. which surprised me.

..i would still rather take on the Razorback.

It is not that good of meat. They eat dead rotten fish and the meat I was told has the oder of frying shit. I do know from experience that a black bear is as good as what it consumes. Bears feeding on berries is good and trash dump bears taste like trash. So they are what they eat so to speak. Alaska is strict on waste of game meat with heavy fines and jail time. By law you are allowed to waste a brown' grizz

So now I challenge someone to come up with an itemized list of the most complete tool kit.

I know it would differ from person-to-person, but I'm trying to think of a tool kit that would be enough for the majority of people.

GO!

Reactions: JP13 and StG58
So now I challenge someone to come up with an itemized list of the most complete tool kit.

I know it would differ from person-to-person, but I'm trying to think of a tool kit that would be enough for the majority of people.

GO!
Alrighty then, back on topic!
First off, stock jack and tire tools.
Tool bag or box.
Mechanics tool set. 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drives, metric and SAE sockets, metric and SAE box open end wrenches. Doesn't have to be a huge set, just a decent starter set.
Bit driver and bits, flat, phillips and torx bits.
Needle nose pliers with side cutters.
Water pump pliers
6" and 10" Cresent wrenchs.
Wire brush
Shop rags
Air pump and dial air gauge that goes down to five pounds pressure.
Multitool
Rebar tie wire
Gorilla tape
Electrical tape
Tire patch plug kit
Speciality tools, buy them as you need them and throw them in the box / bag.
Cheap code reader.
2 -4# engineers or drilling hammer, short handle.
Spare fuses, bulbs, relays.

Off the top of my head, that's about it.

Tool bag or box.
Mechanics tool set. 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drives, metric and SAE sockets, metric and SAE box open end wrenches. Doesn't have to be a huge set, just a decent starter set.
Water pump pliers
Wire brush
Shop rags
Multitool
Rebar tie wire
Gorilla tape
Electrical tape
Tire patch plug kit
Cheap code reader.

I like this. The only thing I can think to add would be a portable light source in case you end up working in the dark.

I carry as much as possible. I also carry a ready welder but need to make sure I have someone with me for nother battery. They work better with 3. Every ujoint is covered and a bearing unit, Yokes and a few other things. Guns. You have to have guns.. Big guns. 120 miles out in bear country isnt place to be skimping.
I was trying to find my bear pic. But cant at the moment. We were camping next to a river that had a high berm and steep bank. So we had to camp on the other side of the berm awy from the river.. Got up the next morning and there were over 20 grizzlys in the river fishing. We about shit our pants
yep That's Alaska for ya..........I just take a bottle of water with me when I go out..in case I get thirsty :risas3:

Seriously though, Mine TJ a daily driver but when the weekend arrives I just take what I need for where I'm going.(beach sand dunes or Forrest )..Not much room when you have my 2 girls with me ( and they're packing like its Armageddon ) haha

Reactions: Kyle_W
Tool bag or box.
Water pump pliers
Wire brush
Shop rags
Multitool
Rebar tie wire
Gorilla tape
Electrical tape
Tire patch plug kit
Cheap code reader.

x2 on the portable light source; I got this one for Christmas, it's actually a really nice piece: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYF4OUT/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Also, screw the 10" crescent wrech, get a 16" SK Spud Crescent Wrench! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DGYPP16/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Back off topic...

I carried bear mace when I hiked the Chilkoot Trail. I'm not sure it would have helped much. Alaskan bears are jacked up on invincibility.

2e77f0dd70286ff12bf6b929837c74a1.jpg

GO!

sorry we did kinda stray off topic there..

challenge accepted!

im probably missing a couple of things but here's most of the "tools" i bring. i bring a few more specific tools for long trips but they live in my trailers toolbox.

3/8" socket set - metric and imperial
*all kinds of uses not just automotive
*mine comes in one box set
*mostly for under bonnet work
*3/8" extended breaker bar
*make sure the set has extensions and unis adapters etc
*mine has a screw driver with bit sets as well
*should also have your spark plug socket 16mm i think

1/2" socket set - i only bring metric
*but bring along imperial if you think you need it
*1/2" breaker bar is most important
*mostly for suspension work etc
*make sure the set has extensions and unis adapters etc
*tire removal, spare removal
*1/2" extended breaker bar
*i just have a pipe that goes over the 3/8" & 1/2" set breakers
*saves having to bring both extended breakers along

RING Combination Spanners (full set) - metric and imperial
*just as important as a socket set - if not more so
*never buy double open ended spanners, just nutfukers
*always use a ring spanner on everything where you can
*only use open end if you have to on a combo spanner

Ratchet Spanners (full set) - i only bring metric
*not a necessity but speeds things up
*if you use spanners a lot and don't have a set your missing out

Large Shifting Spanner 15inch
*quality decent one
*this has so many uses
*tighten it down on mounts and brackets
*and use to bend and lever things that are bent up
*functions as a backup to 1/2" work
*medium size shifter is also handy

Heavy Lump Hammer (short handle)
*a must, so many uses.
*bashing apart bearings, steering, suspension
*bashing apart unis and yokes
*bashing anything else that gets in the way of progress

Metal Chisels
*only a few, medium size
*removing wheel bearings
*splitting seized metal components
*small/med metal or brass drift is handy too

Screw Drivers
*ideally, a full set
*magnetic tips are handy
*super large HD flat head

Torx Set
*self explanatory
*where ever you see a torx head you need this
*other key sets

Metal Files
*only 1 or 2 maybe a big and a small
*handy to file stuff down to make things fit
*metal prep work

Wire Brush
*handy for all kinds of metal prep
*the battery terminal wire brush as well

Pliers
*ideally, a full set
*a quality needle nose at minimum
*for removing hose clamps and all sorts of things
*vice grips, pliers that clamp
*side cutters, super handy
*heavy duty cutters for tin plastic + anything else

Work Clamp
*quality metal one of medium size.
*all kinds of uses
*ever had to put a brake caliper back on?

Line Hose Clamp

*its metal about 2inches long
*used to clamp off small hoses
*specifically, brake lines
*ever ripped a brake line on trail?
*remove disable or disconnect the caliper
*clamp the brake line, keep rolling

1/2" 36MM Socket or Impact Socket
*Removes your front wheel bearing

Fuel Line Disconnect Tool
*little plastic tool
*disconnects fuel line from engine side
*deal with fuel line issues

LED Work Lamp/Light
*handheld magnetic type works well.
*an additional head torch with this is also handy
*and batteries stoopid

Jumper Cables
*usually to help others with a flat battery
*or yourself

1x2M Tarpoline
*put this on the ground
*lie on it when working
*keeps you clean from ground muck
*put parts on it so they dont get lost

Rags
*old crap worn out clothes?
*cut em up and bag em - always needed
*cleaning parts, hands, grease, oil, asses
*and anything else you wanna wipe and discard

Factory Jack
*under drivers seat
*jacking plate -flat square 5mm steel plate -
*lives at the bottom of toolbox.
*you put your jack on this if the ground is bad
*hi-lift jack if needed

12volt Stuff
*depends on how proficient you are
*if you DYI you know the stuff you need
*wire 12v + & - and connectors
*strippers, crimpers etc etc
*tape, heat shrink, conduit
*portable solder gun + wire
*etc etc etc light/volt meter

+ all the Spares, Parts, Products, Consumables and Recovery gear I need.

now what did i win.