TJ Fest 2021
Join us in Moab, Utah from 4/24/2021 to 5/1/2021 for the first annual TJ Fest 2021. Click here for more information.

The travel industry's new “you've gotta be kidding me” corona rules

Westtown Willy

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Like many I’ve missed vacation due to this covid horseshit, Europe in the Spring & the Caribbean in the Fall, but that’s ok, I get it & I’m fairly patient. Looking forward however to getting back on track as soon as possible I’ve checked the website of my favorite resort. Like others, it has new procedures given the circumstances & I get that too, they need to protect their people and give as much impression that they’re protecting us too, but damn it’s hard to imagine that they’re going to get a lot of takers with all this crap. This list made my head spin, couldn’t even finish it because it was so over the top. As much as it’s gonna kill me not to go back to my favorite island as soon as it's open I’m gonna wait until this shit-storm passes.

Not only doesn’t this sound fun, it sounds like a complete bore-ass, about as fun as going to work. Vacation by definition needs to be crazy relaxing fun, which is the only way we convince ourselves to piss away thousands at a shot to go. Feast your eyes:

Welcome back to the Resort Covid 19 Rules:

GENERAL

Automatic hand-sanitizer dispensers are strategically positioned in public areas.

Social distancing is implemented in all public areas, including:

Spacing of seating in the lobby area.

Spacing of dining spaces, with fewer tables.

Spacing or removal of stools in lounges, bars and the piano bar.

Pool, gym and hot tub capacities have been reduced.

An increased sanitation schedule is in place for public areas, with a concentration on high traffic areas and those places most often touched by guests.

Key touch points are sanitized no less than once per hour between 7 a.m. and 1 a.m.

We’re using a special product from Ecolab that sanitizes our beautiful natural-wood surfaces without marring them.

Any Covid-19 symptoms displayed by staff or guests will be reported to the Ministry of Health for follow-up according to government protocol.

STAFF

All staff have their temperatures taken upon arrival at work and at least once more during their shift.

All staff are equipped with face shields and/or masks and gloves, dependent on their job responsibilities and level of contact with guests and other staff.

Staff have their own sanitizer bottles and/or larger bottles are positioned strategically for their use.

Staff receive a monthly supply of sanitizing detergent to launder their uniforms and do not travel to and from work in that clothing.

All staff are misted with a sanitizing spray once they’re dressed in their uniforms.

Social distancing is implemented in all staff areas.

Virtual meetings are held whenever possible to avoid congregating the staff.

Outside contractors and delivery people have access to handwashing stations and are misted with a sanitizing spray upon their arrival at the resort.

There’s a designated area for receiving and sanitizing all deliveries.

ARRIVAL AND CHECK-IN PROCESS

All guests are encouraged to check in online to expedite their arrival process.

Guests are provided with health and safety protocol information via email once they check in online.

Upon arrival, guests are met by their personal concierge, who wears a face shield.

Our staff has adopted a new greeting – the “hand-to-heart” – to replace our former handshakes and hugs.

Bags are tagged and sanitized by our bell staff and delivered just outside the door of the guest room.

Guests are taken directly to their rooms to complete the check in process in-room by their personal concierge.

The personal concierge completes any missing information for registration and takes the guest’s credit card deposit in-room.

Key cards have been sanitized before they are inserted into the welcome packet and presented to the guest.

Guests are asked to supply emergency contact information.

GUEST ROOMS

When a guest checks out, the entire room – both hard and soft surfaces – is completely misted and sanitized before the next guest arrives.

Daily housekeeping is available and will be provided by attendants wearing a face shield, mask and gloves, which are sanitized before entering each guest room.

Guests are asked to hang the Please Make Up My Room sign on the door by 9AM if they would like housekeeping.

Guests are asked to remain on the balcony or leave the room during housekeeping service.

Guests are encouraged to use the Do Not Disturb sign and rooms will not be entered.

Refrigerators will be stocked upon arrival. Refills can be requested with the personal concierge and beverages will be delivered outside of the room door.

Nightly turn down service is also available, but must be requested.

All in-room printed material has been removed or replaced with laminated materials, which will be sanitized between guests.

Glasses and china have been replaced by disposable cups.

Guests may request that ice be delivered to their room.

DINING

We require reservations for dining at all restaurants, including the former buffet restaurant.

Guests may choose from these dining times:

Breakfast: 7, 7:45, 8:30 or 9:15 a.m.

Lunch: 12:30, 1:15 or 2 p.m.

Dinner: 6, 6:45, 7:30 or 8:15 p.m.

Reservations can be made by email in advance of arrival, with the personal concierge upon check-in, or at the concierge desk during the stay.

Reservations can be made for all days of the stay at one time, if desired.

All dining areas have been reconfigured to ensure social distancing.

All restaurants are misted with a sanitizing spray between each meal service.

All servers wear face shields.

Servers provide each table with a pitcher of water and/or carafe of coffee to avoid multiple returns to the table.

The restaurant, which used to have several entrances, is now limited to three points of entry so staff can monitor the number of guests arriving at any single time and direct them to the host stand.

Guests must check in at each restaurant’s host stand to be seated.

The host offers all guests hand sanitizer and performs a temperature check.

Once they’re seated, guests are presented with menus for plated breakfast and dinner – which comes from the resort’s popular themed menus – and a la carte lunch, all served at the table.

We’ve added special offerings to our café menu to bolster guests’ immune systems, including lemongrass, ginger and garlic teas.

BEACH GRILL

Food orders are taken by our “Beach Buddies” and delivered to guests’ loungers or tables.

Guests may choose to get their own drinks from the bar while maintaining social distancing, or our Beach Buddies can deliver beverages to guests’ loungers or tables.

Guests can continue using our “flag-in-the-sand” system to indicate a desire for service. Those flags are sanitized after each guests’ use.

BARS

All bartenders wear face shields.

The bartenders sanitize their hands after preparing each order.

We have discontinued drink garnishes.

ACTIVITIES AND RECREATION

Beach towels are no longer left in guest rooms but are now kept on special shelving at the pool and beach for guests to help themselves. The shelving was specifically built for this purpose.

Beach loungers are misted and sanitized at the beginning and end of the day and between each guest.

Our non-motorized water sports, complimentary to all guests, are operated by an outside vendor who adheres to all protocols issued by Jamaica’s Ministry of Health.

Guests are encouraged to bring their own books and games for their entertainment, since our Take One, Leave One library and board games are no longer available.

SPA

Each spa technician wears a mask.

Upon request, the spa technician can wear gloves while performing treatments.

The spa technician wears a disposable gown for each treatment and immediately discards the gown when the treatment is complete.

Guests will be asked to shower in the spa before their treatment.

GIFT SHOP

A maximum of four shoppers are permitted in the gift shop at one time.

Ya vol commandant!

• Wow
Reactions: Squatch

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
I hope that these resorts and other places lose shit tons of business, only because people don't want to go on vacation only to be greeted with this sort of nonsense bullshit.

I don't think we'll be taking a vacation again for a long time because of this bullshit. I guess it's a good thing we have a pool in our backyard now and nice weather :rolleyes:

OP
Westtown Willy

Westtown Willy

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I hope that these resorts and other places lose shit tons of business, only because people don't want to go on vacation only to be greeted with this sort of nonsense bullshit.

I don't think we'll be taking a vacation again for a long time because of this bullshit. I guess it's a good thing we have a pool in our backyard now and nice weather :rolleyes:
There's even a more sad part to it, this industry has lost its ass just like so many others, nothing different there, but also like others they're increasing prices to make up for not only their losses but to offset the cost of all these bullshit retrofits & cleaners & 'PPE' they make their staff wear & extra staff to clean everything every 30 seconds & on & on & on...

Yet, they're raising their prices at the very time when we, the collective traveler, has less money in many cases and/or is just a bit gun shy about spending what they do have and/or are wary about traveling to begin with, I'd say a lot of people fall into one or more of those categories. In these situations it seems the counterintuitive move of lowering prices is the right move. Get the engine cranking again, entice people that might otherwise be on the fence due to one of these issues to say fuck it I'm in... who knows if that's even feasible financially for them, but the alternative is horrendous - asking us for more money for a vacation that doesn't sound at all like a vacation to me

Reactions: Squatch

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
There's even a more sad part to it, this industry has lost its ass just like so many others, nothing different there, but also like others they're increasing prices to make up for not only their losses but to offset the cost of all these bullshit retrofits & cleaners & 'PPE' they make their staff wear & extra staff to clean everything every 30 seconds & on & on & on...

Yet, they're raising their prices at the very time when we, the collective traveler, has less money in many cases and/or is just a bit gun shy about spending what they do have and/or are wary about traveling to begin with, I'd say a lot of people fall into one or more of those categories. In these situations it seems the counterintuitive move of lowering prices is the right move. Get the engine cranking again, entice people that might otherwise be on the fence due to one of these issues to say fuck it I'm in... who knows if that's even feasible financially for them, but the alternative is horrendous - asking us for more money for a vacation that doesn't sound at all like a vacation to me
If you ask me, they're going to be fucked every which way for a long time.

I for one am not going to pay the huge price increases. I also don't feel like traveling somewhere with all these rules in place, as it makes the entire experience a lot less "relaxing". I suspect many people are of the same stance that I am, so I suspect they are going to be hurting bad, for a long time.

Like you said, what they ought to be doing is slashing prices, getting people to travel, and then once things start to stabilize (word travels fast), they can slowly raise their prices up again.

I think we can both agree that making some money is better than making no money. With the way the travel sounds now, it doesn't seem like they'll be doing too well. I mean who wants to travel to a place that is going to charge more for less of an experience?

cliffish

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
I will just enjoy my pool and hot tub...not going anywhere for a while...oh and $35K/year bills coming for the next 4 years as my daughter is going to East Carolina University.

chino1969

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Like many I’ve missed vacation due to this covid horseshit, Europe in the Spring & the Caribbean in the Fall, but that’s ok, I get it & I’m fairly patient. Looking forward however to getting back on track as soon as possible I’ve checked the website of my favorite resort. Like others, it has new procedures given the circumstances & I get that too, they need to protect their people and give as much impression that they’re protecting us too, but damn it’s hard to imagine that they’re going to get a lot of takers with all this crap. This list made my head spin, couldn’t even finish it because it was so over the top. As much as it’s gonna kill me not to go back to my favorite island as soon as it's open I’m gonna wait until this shit-storm passes.

Not only doesn’t this sound fun, it sounds like a complete bore-ass, about as fun as going to work. Vacation by definition needs to be crazy relaxing fun, which is the only way we convince ourselves to piss away thousands at a shot to go. Feast your eyes:

Welcome back to the Resort Covid 19 Rules:

GENERAL

Automatic hand-sanitizer dispensers are strategically positioned in public areas.

Social distancing is implemented in all public areas, including:

Spacing of seating in the lobby area.

Spacing of dining spaces, with fewer tables.

Spacing or removal of stools in lounges, bars and the piano bar.

Pool, gym and hot tub capacities have been reduced.

An increased sanitation schedule is in place for public areas, with a concentration on high traffic areas and those places most often touched by guests.

Key touch points are sanitized no less than once per hour between 7 a.m. and 1 a.m.

We’re using a special product from Ecolab that sanitizes our beautiful natural-wood surfaces without marring them.

Any Covid-19 symptoms displayed by staff or guests will be reported to the Ministry of Health for follow-up according to government protocol.

STAFF

All staff have their temperatures taken upon arrival at work and at least once more during their shift.

All staff are equipped with face shields and/or masks and gloves, dependent on their job responsibilities and level of contact with guests and other staff.

Staff have their own sanitizer bottles and/or larger bottles are positioned strategically for their use.

Staff receive a monthly supply of sanitizing detergent to launder their uniforms and do not travel to and from work in that clothing.

All staff are misted with a sanitizing spray once they’re dressed in their uniforms.

Social distancing is implemented in all staff areas.

Virtual meetings are held whenever possible to avoid congregating the staff.

Outside contractors and delivery people have access to handwashing stations and are misted with a sanitizing spray upon their arrival at the resort.

There’s a designated area for receiving and sanitizing all deliveries.

ARRIVAL AND CHECK-IN PROCESS

All guests are encouraged to check in online to expedite their arrival process.

Guests are provided with health and safety protocol information via email once they check in online.

Upon arrival, guests are met by their personal concierge, who wears a face shield.

Our staff has adopted a new greeting – the “hand-to-heart” – to replace our former handshakes and hugs.

Bags are tagged and sanitized by our bell staff and delivered just outside the door of the guest room.

Guests are taken directly to their rooms to complete the check in process in-room by their personal concierge.

The personal concierge completes any missing information for registration and takes the guest’s credit card deposit in-room.

Key cards have been sanitized before they are inserted into the welcome packet and presented to the guest.

Guests are asked to supply emergency contact information.

GUEST ROOMS

When a guest checks out, the entire room – both hard and soft surfaces – is completely misted and sanitized before the next guest arrives.

Daily housekeeping is available and will be provided by attendants wearing a face shield, mask and gloves, which are sanitized before entering each guest room.

Guests are asked to hang the Please Make Up My Room sign on the door by 9AM if they would like housekeeping.

Guests are asked to remain on the balcony or leave the room during housekeeping service.

Guests are encouraged to use the Do Not Disturb sign and rooms will not be entered.

Refrigerators will be stocked upon arrival. Refills can be requested with the personal concierge and beverages will be delivered outside of the room door.

Nightly turn down service is also available, but must be requested.

All in-room printed material has been removed or replaced with laminated materials, which will be sanitized between guests.

Glasses and china have been replaced by disposable cups.

Guests may request that ice be delivered to their room.

DINING

We require reservations for dining at all restaurants, including the former buffet restaurant.

Guests may choose from these dining times:

Breakfast: 7, 7:45, 8:30 or 9:15 a.m.

Lunch: 12:30, 1:15 or 2 p.m.

Dinner: 6, 6:45, 7:30 or 8:15 p.m.

Reservations can be made by email in advance of arrival, with the personal concierge upon check-in, or at the concierge desk during the stay.

Reservations can be made for all days of the stay at one time, if desired.

All dining areas have been reconfigured to ensure social distancing.

All restaurants are misted with a sanitizing spray between each meal service.

All servers wear face shields.

Servers provide each table with a pitcher of water and/or carafe of coffee to avoid multiple returns to the table.

The restaurant, which used to have several entrances, is now limited to three points of entry so staff can monitor the number of guests arriving at any single time and direct them to the host stand.

Guests must check in at each restaurant’s host stand to be seated.

The host offers all guests hand sanitizer and performs a temperature check.

Once they’re seated, guests are presented with menus for plated breakfast and dinner – which comes from the resort’s popular themed menus – and a la carte lunch, all served at the table.

We’ve added special offerings to our café menu to bolster guests’ immune systems, including lemongrass, ginger and garlic teas.

BEACH GRILL

Food orders are taken by our “Beach Buddies” and delivered to guests’ loungers or tables.

Guests may choose to get their own drinks from the bar while maintaining social distancing, or our Beach Buddies can deliver beverages to guests’ loungers or tables.

Guests can continue using our “flag-in-the-sand” system to indicate a desire for service. Those flags are sanitized after each guests’ use.

BARS

All bartenders wear face shields.

The bartenders sanitize their hands after preparing each order.

We have discontinued drink garnishes.

ACTIVITIES AND RECREATION

Beach towels are no longer left in guest rooms but are now kept on special shelving at the pool and beach for guests to help themselves. The shelving was specifically built for this purpose.

Beach loungers are misted and sanitized at the beginning and end of the day and between each guest.

Our non-motorized water sports, complimentary to all guests, are operated by an outside vendor who adheres to all protocols issued by Jamaica’s Ministry of Health.

Guests are encouraged to bring their own books and games for their entertainment, since our Take One, Leave One library and board games are no longer available.

SPA

Each spa technician wears a mask.

Upon request, the spa technician can wear gloves while performing treatments.

The spa technician wears a disposable gown for each treatment and immediately discards the gown when the treatment is complete.

Guests will be asked to shower in the spa before their treatment.

GIFT SHOP

A maximum of four shoppers are permitted in the gift shop at one time.

Ya vol commandant!
I had to cancel a nice two week vacation in mid June due to this pandemic. I've resigned myself to the fact that until this threat is over I will have to be patient and adjust my life accordingly.

OP
Westtown Willy

Westtown Willy

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Unfortunately we too are just going to have to hold off until the world gets it's "miracle vaccine" that people seem to be mistaking for a cure. :rolleyes:
Jamaica has been shut down like everyone else since this mess started, I’ve been following their public health statements all along & they did officially open back up for tourists on June 15th. By June 19th this is the statement from the Prime Minister, I think I know where this is ultimately going:

Jamaica Minister.jpg

There are so many people that are going to jump directly on a plane to head back here & all other destinations which is understandable, but it’s risky as hell, not so much in terms of getting the virus but the possibility that any one of these governments may do some crazy shit while you’re there, like toss you in quarantine for God knows how long or worse, close their borders again leaving you stuck. Fuck all that

jeepins

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I hope you are using wet sand on your balls, as your not allowed to walk on the dry sand in CA 😄 :cool:

This thread is worthless without pics

No wait remove this ^^^

I don't want to see your sandy balls.
Man I don't remember posting this. I have re-attached the breathalyzer to my computer to prevent alcohol induced corona rants in the future. You're all lucky you didn't get a pic :ROFLMAO: 🍺

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Jamaica has been shut down like everyone else since this mess started, I’ve been following their public health statements all along & they did officially open back up for tourists on June 15th. By June 19th this is the statement from the Prime Minister, I think I know where this is ultimately going:

View attachment 171439

There are so many people that are going to jump directly on a plane to head back here & all other destinations which is understandable, but it’s risky as hell, not so much in terms of getting the virus but the possibility that any one of these governments may do some crazy shit while you’re there, like toss you in quarantine for God knows how long or worse, close their borders again leaving you stuck. Fuck all that
I agree, probably not worth traveling just due to the fact that some other draconian government may do some even crazier shit.

When are people going to realize that at some point almost all of us are going to get COVID-19 (if we haven't had it already). You can run and hide, but even a vaccine is not a cure. It's not going to stop it, and people had better just accept the fact that almost all of us will at some point get it. The best you can do is be healthy and take care of yourself.