The Travels of an 03 Rubicon

Well, finally got it done. Maybe yall are better at this than me, or have better tools, or just lucky, but that was real hard. I broke it up over a few days when I had off work. Tomorrow taking it in to the shop to have them look everything over and set caster and align. Yes, I know I can do it myself but at this point my sore body would rather pay someone.

Next, removing the transfer case drop and measuring for Tom woods driveshaft. I also think I will have a shop put on the motor mount lift. I can do the body lift in my parking lot

Reactions: JMT
This kit is gorgeous though!
20180812_091942.jpg
20180814_133033.jpg
20180814_133055.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting and JMT
I still have the antirock to install but I am a tad burnt out on working. I want to go play, the trails are calling. Maybe after my beach vacation next week I will be more motivated. Really don't want to remove my winch or heavy warm bumper but it seems that is not optional for installation.

I ended up gaining about 2" from my old sagging teraflex kit. Those control arm bushings were toast. What I thought was my tire carrier making noise, was the bushing contacting the metal sleeve. Cant wait to see the drive difference on the highway. Also getting my tires rebalanced while it's in the shop for my moab trip this fall. Smooth ride = happy wife

20180807_121145.jpg

20180809_110651.jpg

20180814_091136.jpg

20180809_110726.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting and JMT
I still need to purchase the engine skid for mine.

View attachment 50498

View attachment 50500

View attachment 50501

What size lift are you running with that Savvy skid?

A guy I know tried to install it on his TJ Rubicon with a 4" suspension lift, but he said that the pinion had to be rotated so far up (due to how much higher the transfer case was) that it was causing his track bar to hit his fuel tank skid among other things.

I'm not sure if he was just installing it wrong or what. I know that with a 4" lift and a tummy tuck like that, it's equivalent of around 7" or so of suspension lift in terms of driveline angles.

Looks great so far! With a 35" spare I think I need a backup camera. That thing gets in the way of my vision completely when backing up.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
Looks great so far! With a 35" spare I think I need a backup camera. That thing gets in the way of my vision completely when backing up.

I'm still on 33's for now, that came with the jeep when I bought it. If i can make my tread last till spring i will move to 35s when i can regear and upgrade axle shafts.

UCF makes a skid that has an option for varied height, maybe their middle tuck skid would be best to avoid running into that driveline and track bar issues. My metal cloak looks like it has lots of clearance on my gas skid though

Reactions: JMT and Chris
What size lift are you running with that Savvy skid?

A guy I know tried to install it on his TJ Rubicon with a 4" suspension lift, but he said that the pinion had to be rotated so far up (due to how much higher the transfer case was) that it was causing his track bar to hit his fuel tank skid among other things.

I'm not sure if he was just installing it wrong or what. I know that with a 4" lift and a tummy tuck like that, it's equivalent of around 7" or so of suspension lift in terms of driveline angles.

4" suspension and 1.25 body. I had to do a ton to make it fit correctly. We cut all the brackets off my axle and clocked them forward to help with angles. The problem with the Rubi is it's massive transfer case. Jjvw was able to make it work by triangulating his rear and I believe he only relocated his upper spring mounts.

4" suspension and 1.25 body. I had to do a ton to make it fit correctly. We cut all the brackets off my axle and clocked them forward to help with angles. The problem with the Rubi is it's massive transfer case. Jjvw was able to make it work by triangulating his rear and I believe he only relocated his upper spring mounts.

Makes sense. My Rokmen skid isn't quite as flat as the Savvy one, but with 4" of suspension lift it just barely, barely worked. My rear pinion is angled so far back that the track bar in the rear is maybe 1/4" away from hitting the Rokmen fuel tank skid. So, I didn't have to do the work you guys did, but I came really, really close.

I plan to get the GenRight fuel tank (the 19.5) gallon one as it shaves several inches off the fuel tank size, so then I'll have a lot more clearance back there just so I can take my mind off of it.

And yes, you're definitely right about the massive transfer case on the Rubicon. It certainly makes things much more difficult.

I still have the antirock to install but I am a tad burnt out on working. I want to go play, the trails are calling. Maybe after my beach vacation next week I will be more motivated. Really don't want to remove my winch or heavy warm bumper but it seems that is not optional for installation.
I was able to remove my Warn bumper leaving my winch and plate sitting on the frame rails while I installed the antirock, that way I didn't have to mess with the connected winch leads.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I'm still on 33's for now, that came with the jeep when I bought it. If i can make my tread last till spring i will move to 35s when i can regear and upgrade axle shafts.

UCF makes a skid that has an option for varied height, maybe their middle tuck skid would be best to avoid running into that driveline and track bar issues. My metal cloak looks like it has lots of clearance on my gas skid though
I believe the UCF Original Clearance Skid gives a very good TT without a lot of headache.

I believe the UCF Original Clearance Skid gives a very good TT without a lot of headache.

I've been considering them, they're in my price range and seem to have good reviews. I would rather have an easier install than the flatter belly. End of the day I am still a parking lot mechanic.

Reactions: JMT
I was able to remove my Warn bumper leaving my winch and plate sitting on the frame rails while I installed the antirock, that way I didn't have to mess with the connected winch leads.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Good to know. I will definitely give that a shot first.

Jeeps at the shop now getting looked over and aligned. I read the write up about doing it myself but at this point with my schedule I'd rather get it done. I am my wife's transportation most of the time so when the jeeps down, I hear about it haha

Some more updates, put in the antirock on my day off. Actually went smoother than I had anticipated, which is nice because the opposite was true when installing the lift.

Jeep feels much more fluid in its body roll and control. I like driving with it better than the stock sway bar. Antirock is great, urie makes such high quality stuff. Also ordered some of @mrblaine 's control arm washers to center my bolts on the front axle horseshoe.
https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Johnny-Joint-Washers-Set-of-4-US-Shipping-JJW4.htm

Fire ban is lifted so going to camp we with the wife and run the whole Avon to vail trail this tuesday! Had the top off, only a little more time with the soft before the hard comes out of storage. Already getting to mid 40s at night.
20180904_101820.jpg
20180904_155721.jpg
20180904_185133.jpg
20180908_111055.jpg

Last edited:
Have had some time with the antirock offroad now and I absolutely love it. The jeep just glides over rocks like it has legs.

Installed the horseshoe washers, which were a pain in the ass to get lined up. That's just how it is when trying to get control arms lined up in a parking lot.

Also replaced the track bar bolt with a new one from Blaine, fits better than the oem inside of the currie track bar. So far, I believe it was worth the $30, plus its shiny.

Got a new credit card for the bonus miles that my wife and I will use to go to Hawaii after ski season. But that means I have to hit the bonus threshold in 3 months, so I will be ordering some parts sooner than I originally imagined. UCF skids, some lighting upgrades, and a dinner or two and we should be within reach of the reward.
20180921_223718.jpg
20180921_190700.jpg
20180921_173104.jpg
20180921_154336.jpg
20180921_140203.jpg
20180918_113831.jpg

Got the YJ lines installed. The easiest tasks sometimes turn out to be a huge pain in the ass sometimes when it's on a 15 year old car.

Passenger front bleed screw was froze. Real good. Box wrench stripped it and then lock jaw pliars finished the job. Luckily I can ride my bike to the parts store down the street and they had a caliper in stock. Then I couldn't get the banjo bolt to seal against the copper washer. Went through 3 before I got one to seal. The bolt had be to tightened pretty good. Pushed new fluid through all 4 calipers, probably overkill but I had the super blue racing fluid from my Z so that's what's in there now.

Time for some much needed drinks and hockey.
20180926_113909.jpg