The Trials and Tribulations of the Blue Anomaly

Tony P

Blue Anomaly
Supporting Member
This year I purchased a 97 Wrangler TJ Sport with 194K miles for cheap. The reason it was cheap it had several issues.
Initially the dash cluster did not work, the exhaust manifold had a terrible leak (=loud), the rear pinion seal was leaking, the dreaded death wobble,10 year old worn Cooper tires, incorrect shocks and other stuff. Oh, did I mention the build date of the TJ is June 1996? I have found it shares a few leftovers with YJs. A friend of mine helped facilitate the purchase and he had his mechanic fix the dash cluster, pinion seal, replace the cap and spark plugs and install a new alternator. Once I got my hands on it I knew the exhaust manifold needed to be replaced ASAP. So I tackled that first. My newly found jeep buddy and neighbor @EricT77 was instructing me on how to utilize google how to find solutions through these forums. I have to say he has been a tremendous help with his direction along with the wealth of knowledge I can glean from here. I used my doctorate in Google to research How-to and got to work. Unfortunately my car buying friend also hooked me up someone from CL who was selling a new exhaust manifold that to the untrained eye was not the right fit. After struggling with getting the intake manifold to go back in correctly I realized the exhaust was not going to work. Fifty dollars down the drain. I ordered the correct one from a link I found on this forum, I think @Jerry Bransford posted it. The intake went in smooth as butter and the whole thing went back together and started up sounding 100% better. I was very excited I accomplished this although it took far longer than I would have liked.

IMG-6814.jpg

Where it started
IMG-6820.jpg

Where it was going, tagging, labeling and taking pictures as I went
IMG-6824.jpg

IMG-6846.jpg

The scratches are where the intake was making contact so it would not seat properly on the alignment pegs.
IMG-6854.jpg

Uber shiny manifold no bueno, manifold with bellows the perfect fit.
So that is my adventure in exhaust work to date.

Last edited:
Next on the agenda is to cure the death wobble. The drag link and tie-rod looked worn so ordered the ZJ tie-rod components from @Chris tie-rod upgrade post. . I was out of town for work the week the steering linkage parts arrived. @EricT77 voluntarily picked them up and painted before installing.
IMG-6877.jpg

Starting off, Eric and I replaced the drop pitman arm for OEM pitman.
IMG-6881.jpg

In to it, steering linkage removed.
IMG-6879.jpg

Old versus new.
IMG-6883.jpg

New steering linkage installed. Used the @Jerry Bransford alignment method.

This quieted down the death wobble, still there. I have ordered new wheels and tires that hopefully go in next week. I had to search for BFG KM3 33x12.50R15. I was told by a corporate 4 wheel place that MT tires were very difficult to come by. Apparently there is a shortage of materials to make tires. I got lucky and called an Ollin Mott tire shop, they could get the BFGs quickly. waiting on shocks and control arm kit to arrive.
I have also installed the missing battery tie down.

Last edited:
Make sure of two things to have any hope of eliminating DW... 1) That the track bar is tightened as tightly as it is supposed to be and 2) that the tires are PERFECTLY balanced. Not many shops are willing to give their tire balancing guys enough time to do that so make sure the guy who does that for you knows how important "PERFECT" tire balance is. I'd go so far as to say there's a $10-20 tip in it for him if the tires are vibration and shimmy-free during your test drive of all speeds up to at least 70 mph.

To let you know just how difficult it is to get them to spend the time on balancing tires to get them perfect, it took three balancing attempts in one day at my local Discount Tire shop before they finally spent a little more time on the last attempt to get them perfect which they finally did.

Reactions: D M
Make sure of two things to have any hope of eliminating DW... 1) That the track bar is tightened as tightly as it is supposed to be and 2) that the tires are PERFECTLY balanced. Not many shops are willing to give their tire balancing guys enough time to do that so make sure the guy who does that for you knows how important "PERFECT" tire balance is. I'd go so far as to say there's a $10-20 tip in it for him if the tires are vibration and shimmy-free during your test drive of all speeds up to at least 70 mph.

To let you know just how difficult it is to get them to spend the time on balancing tires to get them perfect, it took three balancing attempts in one day at my local Discount Tire shop before they finally spent a little more time on the last attempt to get them perfect which they finally did.
Thanks for the tip. When went over there to order the tires I talked with the guy about what they use to balance the tires and the type of weights. I am going back tomorrow and will reiterate the importance of balancing. Hopefully it will make an impression. He did say they will do everything to balance them correctly even if They have to send me to another location.
Another thing, we checked the track bar is torqued to spec. It is new track bar which may be the previous owners attempt to fix it. Would the factory length track bar have an effect with a three inch lift?

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip. When went over there to order the tires I talked with the guy about what they use to balance the tires and the type of weights. I am going back tomorrow and will reiterate the importance of balancing. Hopefully it will make an impression. He did say they will do everything to balance them correctly even if They have to send me to another location.
Another thing, we checked the track bar is torqued to spec. It is new track bar which may be the previous owners attempt to fix it. Would the factory length track bar have an effect with a three inch lift?
A factory length track bar will pull the axle a little off to the side when there's a suspension lift installed. The front factory length track bar would pull the axle off toward the driver's side, the rear will pull the axle toward the passenger side.

This is why... you can see how the length of the diagonal line (track bar) would pull the bottom (axle) when the top line (frame) is raised up off the axle by a suspension lift. Lengthening the diagonal line (track bar) will push the axle back where it should be after the upper line (frame) was lifted by the suspension lift.

Track Bar Z Geometry.JPG

New shoes today. Much softer ride and near elimination of death wobble. One of the old wheels suspiciously had a lot of weight on it.

2FA030A2-CEDA-4676-916D-B9E60A5CB468.jpeg

4F6209D9-3DBD-4C72-B292-5A5F41DC2D6B.jpeg

049FCFBA-A284-4CAC-84B1-5AF2E362B530.jpeg

Reactions: L J and Tob
Man, I have to see that thing every time I leave my house. I came here to my happy place, and there's the Anomaly.

Reactions: Tony P
A factory length track bar will pull the axle a little off to the side when there's a suspension lift installed. The front factory length track bar would pull the axle off toward the driver's side, the rear will pull the axle toward the passenger side.

This is why... you can see how the length of the diagonal line (track bar) would pull the bottom (axle) when the top line (frame) is raised up off the axle by a suspension lift. Lengthening the diagonal line (track bar) will push the axle back where it should be after the upper line (frame) was lifted by the suspension lift.

View attachment 250135
Upon further review the frame side bolt may not have been torque correctly. Discovered while replacing with adjustable track bar. I think I know why, it is damn difficult to get a torque wrench in there with either a shallow or deep socket.

Finished up some mods today. Replace front shocks with Rancho RS5000x, upper and lower control arms with RockJock adjustable arms. Also, a JKS adjustable front track bar. Thanks to @EricT77 guidance and wrenching. The rear is scheduled for next week.

E9891C77-B99B-40B6-BB0D-A0AB6E9D553D.jpeg

0A552EF8-E3B5-41AD-A52D-9B8DEF133D3B.jpeg

6F8D6ADE-CEA2-461F-BBEE-5F24132AADA2.jpeg

Reactions: L J
Have not been keeping up. Have installed the rear upper and lower control arms. Replaced the rear shocks. Replaced cracked rear tail lights housing with LED. Added and aftermarket tire carrier, will need to extensions to the tailgate bumpers. Cleaned up the front sway and replaced bushings. Replaced the PO homemade sway bar links with JKS quicker disconnects. This helped with front end stability and noise reduction.

1B7058F7-0CBC-4FD0-8589-CA7458303B12.jpeg

A0699947-8AA0-41E5-AD49-2CCB777BAC95.jpeg

7EA875AC-7F7C-4A84-93E9-A2E69D198FD5.jpeg

CF330F03-D430-4DF0-8F40-CBA0CB0AEE91.jpeg

Reactions: L J