The ugly vehicle thread

1990's Dodge Neons and Chevy Cavaliers are on my short list of ugly cars.. They've never sat with me well.. Can't be the only one right?

I can't recall if they actually did away with the plastic body cladding, or if they just painted it body color. I think they actually did eliminate it, as you suggested. I do know that they finally went to the radiused wheel arches (ala Cadillac Escalade), instead of that hideous "flat across the top" design they started with. It was at that point that I started calming down about those vehicles...

For your Avalanche history lesson... They released it in 2002 on the GMT800 platform, in both 3/4 and 1/2 ton variants. Only offered with cladding. In 03, they updated the platform and released it without cladding as an option. Still could get a 3/4 or 1/2 ton. I'm fuzzy on the 3/4 ton without cladding variant. I don't know if that existed. If it did, it's a rare bird. In 07, they released the GMT900 and cladding ceased to exist. They also got very expensive. Since they killed the 3/4 ton Suburban, they killed the 3/4 ton Avalanche too. An Avalanche was essentially a Suburban with the roof over the third row hacked off.

I still think I'd buy a 3/4 ton Avalanche if I could find a clean, low milage example. They are more rare than LJR's though. I looked for a bit before I got the Colorado.

Reactions: J R and Squatch
For your Avalanche history lesson... They released it in 2002 on the GMT800 platform, in both 3/4 and 1/2 ton variants. Only offered with cladding. In 03, they updated the platform and released it without cladding as an option. Still could get a 3/4 or 1/2 ton. I'm fuzzy on the 3/4 ton without cladding variant. I don't know if that existed. If it did, it's a rare bird. In 07, they released the GMT900 and cladding ceased to exist. They also got very expensive. Since they killed the 3/4 ton Suburban, they killed the 3/4 ton Avalanche too. An Avalanche was essentially a Suburban with the roof over the third row hacked off.

I still think I'd buy a 3/4 ton Avalanche if I could find a clean, low milage example. They are more rare than LJR's though. I looked for a bit before I got the Colorado.
I knew they were based off the Suburban, but I will admit to never once giving a thought as to whether or not they were a 1/2 ton or a 3/4 ton. Being a "car guy", I'm surprised that the question never entered my mind. Hmmm...

I have someone on my crew who owns an Escalade. I've ridden in it once, and all I can say is it definitely isn't my thing. Given the choice, I'd take an old International Travelette any day! ;)

Thanks for the education, Mike. I like learning stuff like that just for the pure joy of knowing it, and nothing more. I can't claim I'll ever use that info while seeking out an Avalanche to purchase, because...well, you know... :)

Reactions: Mike_H
Growing up my family had an AMC Matador wagon. Baby blue with woodgrain siding. I was always embarrassed of it. I haven't looked at one in years and looking at one now I'm thinking it's so ugly it's almost cool.

3e2446d077386e14c72db6b97071dd93x.jpg

Here’s one. When I was a teen in the early 80s the little old lady neighbor accross the street was selling a bright yellow one. My parents offered to buy it for me for my first car. I declined. I found a 72 Plymouth Satellite with a v8 (318) that I wanted instead. The Pacer was $1600. The Satellite $1200. Parents said I’d have to pay half if I wanted the Satellite because they didnt want me to buy a sporty car. I elected to pay half for the Satellite.

767B2D31-817B-4962-B4CD-D54D89C3C12E.jpeg

Here’s one. When I was a teen in the early 80s the little old lady neighbor accross the street was selling a bright yellow one. My parents offered to buy it for me for my first car. I declined. I found a 72 Plymouth Satellite with a v8 (318) that I wanted instead. The Pacer was $1600. The Satellite $1200. Parents said I’d have to pay half if I wanted the Satellite because they didnt want me to buy a sporty car. I elected to pay half for the Satellite.

View attachment 71792

Ah, the murphmobile!

Reactions: Kiwi TJ

View attachment 71792
It's beautiful!!! AMC, for the win! :thumbsup:

Reactions: XISophos
Saw this a few years ago. As you zoom in, it gets more and more disturbing.View attachment 71804
Well, yeah, it's disturbing. I mean, really...it's a 4-door! Sheesh! LOL Love the saw blade sun visor. Not sure what the doll's head is attached to, but it's a hoot. The chains are a nice touch, too, though I might have opted for barbed wire, myself. ;) Diggin' the little '64/'65 Falcon wagon that's beside it. Love the steelies and poverty caps!

Reactions: XISophos