The ugly vehicle thread

They're called Cruising Wagons, and were produced in '77 and '78, if I recall correctly. Cool little cars!

Yes, and that is part of the reason the orange one is on a shelf. Needs smog here in CA. It ran but not that well.

someone there must be a good forklift operator as there is not much room above the side of the scaffold to fit the Pinto.

LOL Oh, we picked the Pinto up, moved it into place, then put the other side of the scaffolding on and boards for the wheels, then set the car down. Did that with each car.

Reactions: Squatch
For your Avalanche history lesson... They released it in 2002 on the GMT800 platform, in both 3/4 and 1/2 ton variants. Only offered with cladding. In 03, they updated the platform and released it without cladding as an option. Still could get a 3/4 or 1/2 ton. I'm fuzzy on the 3/4 ton without cladding variant. I don't know if that existed. If it did, it's a rare bird. In 07, they released the GMT900 and cladding ceased to exist. They also got very expensive. Since they killed the 3/4 ton Suburban, they killed the 3/4 ton Avalanche too. An Avalanche was essentially a Suburban with the roof over the third row hacked off.

I still think I'd buy a 3/4 ton Avalanche if I could find a clean, low milage example. They are more rare than LJR's though. I looked for a bit before I got the Colorado.

I just saw this and thought of your post

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/03/the-inside-scoop-on-why-gm-discontinued-the-chevy-avalanche/

AMC gave us so many cars worthy of a list like this I wonder what was going on in their R&D and styling departments back in the 70s, damn near the whole line up was atrocious. Couple of my favorites were the 72 Hornet & 76 Madator, maybe not quite as fugly as some of their cousins in the lineup but still painful, especially if you were a cool teenager in your parent's ride:

• Love
AMC gave us so many cars worthy of a list like this I wonder what was going on in their R&D and styling departments back in the 70s, damn near the whole line up was atrocious. Couple of my favorites were the 72 Hornet & 76 Madator, maybe not quite as fugly as some of their cousins in the lineup but still painful, especially if you were a cool teenager in your parent's ride:

View attachment 83551View attachment 83552
I'll take my '75 Matador X in red, please!!!

AMC gave us so many cars worthy of a list like this I wonder what was going on in their R&D and styling departments back in the 70s...
Almost every AMC car should have been aborted on the drawing board. Two exceptions were the AMX and Javelin. The two seat AMX and its larger successor the Javelin are only okay because they could be had with 325 HP 390 ci engines but they were still turd ugly. The only not-fugly AMC cars were the 68 2 dr Rambler American and the 69 S/C Rambler. And you could build those light little cars into real cruise strip and track beasts.

Growing up my family had an AMC Matador wagon. Baby blue with woodgrain siding. I was always embarrassed of it. I haven't looked at one in years and looking at one now I'm thinking it's so ugly it's almost cool.

View attachment 71599
That's fucking cool. I'd drive that.

I'd much rather drive that, than a Honda Element that looks like it has enough head room for a 3 level shelf mounted from the ceiling.

I drove around is this for a year. (work car) its a Nissan S-cargo (<——- get the name)....That front windscreen was almost 3 times the price as a regular one.
View attachment 71386
Yes the interior was a just as bad
View attachment 71385
Sometimes ugly is so ugly it's beautiful. I have a strange fascination with weird small cars like that. Suzuki wagon-r, chinese and japanese micro-vans. Stuff that you could never sell in this country.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Squatch