The unfortunate JKU & JLU of the day thread

57106589_10219164165197601_548296792022712320_n.jpg

According to the rumor mill, this guy is a prevalent youtuber and also cut a lady’s leg most of the way off in the process of putting his jeep in the ditch. Nothing is confirmed, but apparently he got hung up on an obstacle, floored it, and ended up plowing through a crowd of onlookers. One person got taken by a helicopter to the hospital.

Sad story, but really shows you have to be careful on the trail whether you are a driver or just a spectator.

Last edited:
According to the rumor mill, this guy is a prevalent youtuber and also cut a ladies leg most of the way off in the process of putting his jeep in the ditch. Nothing is confirmed, but apparently he got hung up on an obstacle, floored it, and ended up plowing through a crowd of onlookers. One person got taken by a helicopter to the hospital.

Sad story, but really shows you have to be careful on the trail whether you are a driver or just a spectator.
Wow you're not kidding...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gephar...fter-jeep-accident-on-golden-spike-trail/amp/

• Wow
Reactions: DrDmoney
Wow. I didn’t know there was such a thing.
A member of my Jeep club was air transported once and its really freaking expensive. Don't remember what he said it cost but $25K to $$50K sticks in my head. Think that was just a routine hospital to hospital thing. Has to be much worse if you need to be picked off the side of a mountain or the bottom of a canyon then go 100 miles to a trauma center.

Reactions: 04 LJ
I've learned to be careful around people who are new to Jeeps or wheeling, especially if they think they know it all. I have no problem helping people and enjoy doing so, but you can't help everyone. Unfortunately, in this case it seems like the guy got in over his head and things went south quickly. Interesting that he ran a youtube channel based on Jeeps...

I once ran across a guy with a mostly stock JKUR stuck on a forest service road. Winch had never been unspooled before and I had to help him figure out how to actually get the cable out. I had no problem helping him until he broke out chains and all sorts of heavy steel rigging. I offered to let him use my straps and soft shackles, but he told me those were for idiots and he would only trust steel. He was even insistent on using his d-rings sideways, not pulling on the pin at all because "that is what I read online". I said I'd be moving myself and my Jeep far away until he was done winching... He was gone when I came back down the road so I guess he figured it out somehow.

He was even insistent on using his d-rings sideways, not pulling on the pin at all

That's actually something I've never really thought of. (Though I'd never even think to set them up sideways because it just doesn't look right.) If you need to pull sideways, the D-rings can't handle as much load.

I was curious as to what the actual load limits were sideways. From the rigging guides, a shackle must be de-rated 50% when used to pull 90 degrees. So the 9,500 lbs shackle becomes 4750 lbs rated. That being said any certified shackle is supposed to have at least a 5:1 factor of safety. But with the right idiot bouncing around, I could easily see 23750 lbs of shock load destroying that shackle. Hell, a double run cable from a 12k winch could pull that apart.

That's actually something I've never really thought of. (Though I'd never even think to set them up sideways because it just doesn't look right.) If you need to pull sideways, the D-rings can't handle as much load.

I was curious as to what the actual load limits were sideways. From the rigging guides, a shackle must be de-rated 50% when used to pull 90 degrees. So the 9,500 lbs shackle becomes 4750 lbs rated. That being said any certified shackle is supposed to have at least a 5:1 factor of safety. But with the right idiot bouncing around, I could easily see 23750 lbs of shock load destroying that shackle. Hell, a double run cable from a 12k winch could pull that apart.

Blows my mind too. I'm not sure how someone could look at a shackle and decide it should be used sideways. Though, the load on the winch line couldn't have been much judging by the guys situation. Looked like he had just spun out in some mild mud. I'm not sure if the poor guy knew how to put it in 4 wheel drive or turn the lockers on, because it definitely looked like he could have powered right through it if he wanted. I showed up when he was already staring hopelessly at the winch so I didn't ask if he tried to drive out.

Guy was pretty set on his winching techniques for someone who appeared to have never winched before though :ROFLMAO: