The unfortunate JKU & JLU of the day thread

Spotted in Bass Pro parking lot. I just noticed the Range Rover next to it...

20221123_134849.jpg

Ok so not as bad as Monday, but Jeep, or one of the after market companies that makes rear air diverters, needs to make something to combat this!!! I mean really!!! Even the FSJ Grand Wagoneers came with a diverter to stop this exact thing from happening!

1669846713094.png

Last edited:
Ok so not as bad as Monday, but Jeep, or one of the after market companies that makes rear air diverters, needs to make something to combat this!!! I mean really!!! Even the FSJ Grand Wagoneers came with a diverter to stop this exact thing from happening!

View attachment 380738

Rear air diverter? Like this?
200.gif

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj
My old 4th gen 4-Runner had one of those air deflectors and it kept the back glass from building up too much dust or dry snow.
Our current 5th gen 4-Runner only has a fancy cover that hides the wiper motor and blade but, does nothing to keep the back glass clear.

Kinda funny that the spare tire could hold a 'peep hole' camera.

My old 4th gen 4-Runner had one of those air deflectors and it kept the back glass from building up too much dust or dry snow.
Our current 5th gen 4-Runner only has a fancy cover that hides the wiper motor and blade but, does nothing to keep the back glass clear.

The '86 Grand Wagoneer I use for on the mail route has one on it too. I thought about steeling the one off of the '85 parts Waggy but I really don't want to drill holes in the hard top. Hell, Mopar makes them for the Grand Cherokee and other SUVs why not the Wranglers?

Reactions: alittleoff
I've been thinking the same for my 4-Runner.
Maybe a piece of 8" black stove pipe. That radius looks to fit the build I'm thinking of.

Edit. Possibly a flat piece 3/16", 5' long x 5" wide Aluminum and have it rolled to fit the purpose.

Last edited:
Couldn't move fast enough to get a pic.

Following a JK yesterday. Looked like it was fairly unmolested. Then it happened. The owner had a rear bumper with integrated aux reverse lights. The lights were wired to the brake lights. Every time the brake was depressed the mega-wattage LED aux lights powered on and incinerated the retinas of everyone that followed. Lucky I was far enough back.. I still have those white floaty bright-light-spots in my vision though..

Couldn't move fast enough to get a pic.

Following a JK yesterday. Looked like it was fairly unmolested. Then it happened. The owner had a rear bumper with integrated aux reverse lights. The lights were wired to the brake lights. Every time the brake was depressed the mega-wattage LED aux lights powered on and incinerated the retinas of everyone that followed. Lucky I was far enough back.. I still have those white floaty bright-light-spots in my vision though..
Gotta wonder if that was born out of stupidity on the part of the installer or intentional to fuke with tailgaters.

I’ve flipped mine on a few times when someone was up my ass, but to have them come on every time you touch the brake, that’s stupid
Stupid any way you look at it because you never know if it Johny law is behind you.

It wouldn't be hard to set up a toggle switch and a couple relays so they only come on with the brakes when you have then switched on. Not saying that guy did or didn't do that but these days you never know.

I damn near rear ended a guy a couple years ago in stop and go traffic... I never saw his brake lights so I assumed they were burnt out or bad fuse so I stayed back a little further. Well the lack of brake lights caught the attention of a cop and he slid in behind said car. Amazingly the brake lights started working by the next stop light. 🤔 🤔 🤔

• Wow
Reactions: Apparition
Stupid any way you look at it because you never know if it Johny law is behind you.

It wouldn't be hard to set up a toggle switch and a couple relays so they only come on with the brakes when you have then switched on. Not saying that guy did or didn't do that but these days you never know.

I damn near rear ended a guy a couple years ago in stop and go traffic... I never saw his brake lights so I assumed they were burnt out or bad fuse so I stayed back a little further. Well the lack of brake lights caught the attention of a cop and he slid in behind said car. Amazingly the brake lights started working by the next stop light. 🤔 🤔 🤔

I have seen this type of thing also but there are times when driving my manual TJ I dont use the brakes much.