The unfortunate TJ of the day thread

After WWII, we left a lot of vehicles, including Jeeps in the Philippines. The locals took them, extended the chassis, made tops for them, and THEN, personalized them, and used them as busses which they called Jeepneys.
When I was there in the 1980s, a lot of these original Jeepnets were still around. By now though, I would bet that they have been retired and replaced by more modern, (by Philippines standards) vehicles. The pics below are examples of the originals.
jeepney-front-533x400-740x480.jpg

jeepney-still-5-20-21.jpg

hsi-002450-1.jpg

After WWII, we left a lot of vehicles, including Jeeps in the Philippines. The locals took them, extended the chassis, made tops for them, and THEN, personalized them, and used them as busses which they called Jeepneys.
When I was there in the 1980s, a lot of these original Jeepnets were still around. By now though, I would bet that they have been retired and replaced by more modern, (by Philippines standards) vehicles.

It may not be the ones you saw but what I see going by my condo on regular basis don’t look all that different. I’ll try to remember and take a couple photos to share. It definitely is still one of the primary means of mass transit and cost or a ‘ride’ in my last post is accurate. Though I guess when a construction worker makes less than P1,000/day (~$20) spending even $1 on your commute is big deal.

When I was there in the 1980s, a lot of these original Jeepnets were still around. By now though, I would bet that they have been retired and replaced by more modern, (by Philippines standards) vehicles. The pics below are examples of the originals.
View attachment 280440
View attachment 280441
View attachment 280443
I'm kinda disappointed that "Bert" is missing his left parking light...

Reactions: drivincar67
View attachment 280440
View attachment 280441
View attachment 280443
Although we left alot MB's after WWII these seem to be based on CJ 3B's imported after the war.
Maybe even Mihindra licensed Jeep knock offs.
I give them somewhat of a buy in that these " Jeeps " were modded by locals into a type of vehicle they really needed.
Probably not many Chevy Suburbans imported to the Philippines in those days.
These are definitely weird but what the hell we have weird Jeeps on the Forum all the time.o_O

Not a TJ and I do not think they are unfortunate. Classic Willys Jeeps in Colombia. They were/are used to move heavy loads through the mountainous terrain, mostly coffee.

936A28E8-9277-454D-A43E-1AFEC8519B48.jpeg

EA383471-38ED-45AA-AC6C-D29D93900EF4.jpeg

7A926DBB-1334-4AA5-A5C2-DA4CBB9CBA0E.jpeg

CBC1AEB5-02C1-4207-A86F-A9181BB6B277.jpeg

BA4A147B-623D-4B90-A9BB-29EBB921F110.jpeg

CC0C4374-EAF3-4FBA-A441-3F4971016121.jpeg

I love the CJ-3B and hope to have an early 60s US Navy version one day.

To me, the difference between these Jeepney types and the "unfortunate" examples is the difference between making something unique with what you have and throwing outrageous amounts of money at bling.

I love the CJ-3B and hope to have an early 60s US Navy version one day.

To me, the difference between these Jeepney types and the "unfortunate" examples is the difference between making something unique with what you have and throwing outrageous amounts of money at bling.
Part of the difference, too, is the culture. In a country where everything is dirt colored & the average wage is chickens (slight exaggerations) bright colored clothes/accessories are the norm & expected

Was able to grab half way decent pic today. As I said before, there really isn’t anything Jeep about the Jeepney. A lot of them look older and more beat up than this one. Probably 15 or so people can be crammed into one of these on bench seats down each side. Especially in province (rural area) isn’t uncommon to see people hanging on back as well. Have also seen them totally loaded down with pineapple, coconuts, rice, etc.

5B5A6AF3-6175-4DED-8882-39F94983180C.jpeg

I gotta say, I'm diggin' the Jeepneys :) Looks like more fun than any of the Lyft or Uber rides I've had!

Except the one stacked 15ft high with appliances and such ... I don't get that.

• Haha
Reactions: 707kevin and RINC
My buddy was an executive for McDonalds and the Philippines were part of his territory. When they introduced drive thru service in the 80s the lines stretched down the street. Locals would order one item and then get back in line and do it all over again. They love their vehicles there.

Reactions: B252