Jorge's LJ #elrojolj

Jorge Bolivar

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I start this tread with the intention to log all the work done on the Jeep plus have a Journal of my new adventure. Try to do this with the 99 Sport project but never start.

On March 19, 2017 I do spot this Red 2004 TJ/LJ on Car guru.com I wasn't looking for another TJ but the fact that was an LJ call my attention.

upload_2017-3-30_22-20-41.png

On March 21, 2017 I place a call to Berea Auto mall, Shaun answer the phone and give me full details on this Jeep.

Red
2004 TJ/LJ
Soft top
Clean in and out
Chassis with surface rust.

He encourage me to come as see it but As I was on Alabama probably will be sold by the time I will return Home.
Ask to my Fiancee to go and see it. Well she love it. She went below and look on the usual rust spots, lift all the mats and look on the motor compartment. As she are my partner in crime on the 99 Sport project she have very good knowledge of the TJ and why I want the LJ specifically, so I trust her advice and a small deposit was drop to hold the Jeep until I can flight back to CLE.

Of course I barely sleep, I have to really put this act together as the summer time is around the corner.

After inspect the Jeep myself this was what I determine.
Body is on good shape, minimum rust.
Frame it's on good shape, 5% surface rust, nothing compared to my 99 Sport.
To be an Northeast Ohio jeep is not bad at all.
Dana 44 rear and front, can saw the gear box label.
Shocks looks like the OEM and the Soft Top looks like has never been removed.

Was lot's of thinking and to decide, sure we can found another on better conditions, when? How Much? In life you have to take chances, here we go...

Friday, March 24, 2017 We become proud TJ/LJ owners.

The Master Plan it's
KO2's 33/10.5r15 tires
SRC front bumper
SRC rear bumper with tire carrier
Winch
Trektop
DPG Old Man Emu Ultimate lift kit
CB
Side mounted Hi-Lift
On board air system.

Last edited:
Reactions: derekmac and JMT
Nice man! 44 frt and rear is awesome, thought only Rubicons had frt 44's. Any plans for gears and lockers? Your plan looks good, keep updating as you go.

Reactions: Jorge Bolivar
Nice man! 44 frt and rear is awesome, thought only Rubicons had frt 44's. Any plans for gears and lockers? Your plan looks good, keep updating as you go.
Unless it is a Rubicon, or someone swapped axles, LJs don't have a front Dana 44, rear only.

I do also was thinking the same. I have no much chance to check the transfer case but runs like a Rubicon. Is a long term plan to re-gear 4:56 and add ARB lockers if budget permit.
My initial plan is to built for on and trails offroad. Like to drive it where works call and wheeled on the afternoons and weekends and met other state Jeepers as well. Beach trip is on Plans too!

Reactions: Rob5589
March 25, 2017
Replace the wiper blades and add the Hi-Lift side mount.
upload_2017-3-30_23-12-47.png
upload_2017-3-30_23-13-59.png

upload_2017-3-30_23-15-22.png

Jeep for us is a Family matter. Here we can saw my youngest daughter wrenching around. She is also the build thread encouragement person. As well she make me ride her to Krispy Kreme for the sweeties...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac and JMT
I start this tread with the intention to log all the work done on the Jeep plus have a Journal of my new adventure. Try to do this with the 99 Sport project but never start.

On March 19, 2007 I do spot this Red 2004 TJ/LJ on Car guru.com I wasn't looking for another TJ but the fact that was an LJ call my attention.

View attachment 13412

On March 21, 2017 I place a call to Berea Auto mall, Shaun answer the phone and give me full details on this Jeep.

Red
2004 TJ/LJ
Soft top
Clean in and out
Chassis with surface rust.

He encourage me to come as see it but As I was on Alabama probably will be sold by the time I will return Home.
Ask to my Fiancee to go and see it. Well she love it. She went below and look on the usual rust spots, lift all the mats and look on the motor compartment. As she are my partner in crime on the 99 Sport project she have very good knowledge of the TJ and why I want the LJ specifically, so I trust her advice and a small deposit was drop to hold the Jeep until I can flight back to CLE.

Of course I barely sleep, I have to really put this act together as the summer time is around the corner.

After inspect the Jeep myself this was what I determine.
Body is on good shape, minimum rust.
Frame it's on good shape, 5% surface rust, nothing compared to my 99 Sport.
To be an Northeast Ohio jeep is not bad at all.
Dana 44 rear and front, can saw the gear box label.
Shocks looks like the OEM and the Soft Top looks like has never been removed.

Was lot's of thinking and to decide, sure we can found another on better conditions, when? How Much? In life you have to take chances, here we go...

Friday, March 24, 2017 We become proud TJ/LJ owners.

The Master Plan it's
KO2's 33/10.5r15 tires
SRC front bumper
SRC rear bumper with tire carrier
Winch
Trektop
DPG Old Man Emu Ultimate lift kit
CB
Side mounted Hi-Lift
On board air system.
Awesome! So happy for you! Great day and days to come. Thanks for sharing. I'm at my first beach outing now. Will head south tomorrow for several miles down 4x4 only beach. Should be great. Secluded

-March 26, 2017
Once of the things I do love the most is drive top less listening music.
Today we work on the Sound System upgrade.
upload_2017-3-30_23-25-4.png

Front
Pioneer 3 way Speakers TS-576M
Insert by Custom Install Parts B009DHE462
Rear
Pioneer 3 way Speakers TS-576M

Additional was ordered
Metra 99-6503 Dash Kit
Metra 70-6502 Wiring harness

Last edited:
How do you like that sound system Jorge? Is it noticeably better when driving with the top / doors off.

Awesome! So happy for you! Great day and days to come. Thanks for sharing. I'm at my first beach outing now. Will head south tomorrow for several miles down 4x4 only beach. Should be great. Secluded
Thanks!
So jealous, Can't wait for me to be on one of those 4 x 4 by the beach.
Enjoy at large and be safe!

Reactions: Chris
How do you like that sound system Jorge? Is it noticeably better when driving with the top / doors off.
Yes,it is very noticeable change for better. I do use Pioneer TS-576M that has low db sensitivity and response well to the OEM head unit and should work well with the aftermarket head unit I have on plans for it. I'm pretty much incline to add the Tablet mount and use as a music player and other geeks as the Inclinometer and GPS. So many options this days...

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
March 27, 2017
After removed all the patio furniture and the Sport 99 out the Garage, clean and start up my air compressor the Unlimited made it in to the garage for the well deserved lugs nut replacement.
upload_2017-4-2_12-38-1.png
upload_2017-4-2_12-43-50.png

Yo'll know how fun is have to deal with one of this lugs without the beauty cap. Other was so corroded in between cap and lug that has to use an oversize socket to remove.
upload_2017-4-2_12-45-5.png

upload_2017-4-2_12-45-44.png

As I do not like chrome and still not sure if I do stay with the stock rims or go with metal rims yet I do get Pro Comp 1/2 Spline lugs
Part number 21184B
This ones can be used with both rims materials and are affordable temporary or long term solution.
Wire brush the studs, flanges and the rim flange, of course I do use anti-seize on the studs.

As well brake inspection was made. They are on good conditions but rusty as hell. Time to start searching the Forum threads fro brake system overhaul, but that is on the non expected mods list for now.
upload_2017-4-2_12-54-17.png

Last edited:
IMG_4739.JPG
IMG_4964.JPG
IMG_4552.JPG
We love our 06 model. The only issue I have with the trek too is that the back window is super tight and you can't really roll up/store the side windows as easy as the factory frame. If I could do it again I might have kept the factory soft top frame and purchased the bestop replace a top instead. We purchased the power stop drilled and slotted roters and pads for ours and love them! I sanded the calipers down and painted them with grey high heat paint and they have help up pretty good. Makes it much easier to work on if/when you have to take the rims and tires off. We have a 2 inch suspension and 1 inch body on 33x10.50x15's K02's and love the way it rides. If you have any questions on anything let me know! I think you have a great start so far and I'm looking forward to seeing the final product!

@Jeepersteve71, super clean, tastfully done, great job, man!
Thank you! We just got the SYE kit in. Saving up for new drive shafts, skid plates, and control arms now. Want it to look factory as possible. The only mods I want people to think I have is the winch and windshield lights. Other than that I want them to question it until I show them the changes.