Jorge's LJ #elrojolj

View attachment 13728 View attachment 13729 View attachment 13730 We love our 06 model. The only issue I have with the trek too is that the back window is super tight and you can't really roll up/store the side windows as easy as the factory frame. If I could do it again I might have kept the factory soft top frame and purchased the bestop replace a top instead. We purchased the power stop drilled and slotted roters and pads for ours and love them! I sanded the calipers down and painted them with grey high heat paint and they have help up pretty good. Makes it much easier to work on if/when you have to take the rims and tires off. We have a 2 inch suspension and 1 inch body on 33x10.50x15's K02's and love the way it rides. If you have any questions on anything let me know! I think you have a great start so far and I'm looking forward to seeing the final product!

@Jeepersteve71
Your Jeep looks Great! I read your built as well and notice we share a passion for our respective built. As yo mention I do also like to keep the look as original I do can to kept the intrigue of what is hidden backstage. Thanks for the Trek top input, I was thinking on storage difficulties but more concentrate of loose the Sunrider option. Definitely will take this in consideration. Will look on the power stop brake as well.
We plan this project well we can to avoid a cluster as happen with the Sport 98 that end up been very nice but many set backs and last minutes changes that cost lots of extra money.

Last edited:
March 28, 2017
Today I do have a nice conversation with Dirk Sanders of DPG Offroad over the Ultimate TJ/LJ lift kit that include the OME 2.5' Springs and shocks but also include the JKS track bars and body lift kit. I have no experience with JKS so after read all the feedback on my JKS review thread I ask many questions I can and stack up a kit that will fit my LJ best. One of the things I removed was the JKS body lift kit, this kit uses a puck that goes in top of the OEM body mount and I already decide to replace all the body mounts so will be more convenient for me does all in one shot. I do still have an extra set of 1" lift motor mounts set on the garage, left over form the Sport 98 project that I can use for Unlimited so is no need to order a second pair. Brown dog MM looks tempting option...
Soon I do arrive home I start to work on the body mount lift install. Jonathan shows up to extend a hand with the motor mounts install and to attempt to convince me to lower the Sport 98 sale price, he got lot of work ahead of him.

View attachment 13776
upload_2017-4-5_0-58-52.png

upload_2017-4-5_1-0-6.png

I think I have and addiction to use anti-seize
upload_2017-4-5_1-1-34.png

upload_2017-4-5_1-2-22.png
upload_2017-4-5_1-3-12.png

As the body mount lift kit did not comes with the metal insert we also use Crown 52001961 insert.

@Jeepersteve71
Your Jeep looks Great! I read your built as well and notice we share a passion for our respective built. As yo mention I do also like to keep the look as original I do can to kept the intrigue of what is hidden backstage. Thanks for the Trek top input, I was thinking on storage difficulties but more concentrate of loose the Sunrider option. Definitely will take this in consideration. Will look on the power stop brake as well.
We plan this project well we can to avoid a cluster as happen with the Sport 98 that end up been very nice but many set backs and last minutes changes that cost lots of extra money.

I know our 06 model came with the sun rider top from the factory. Our LJ with the new trektop has the sun rider for it as well. It actually goes back further than the factory top. I think one of the best purchases we have made so far is the spider web shade. It makes a huge difference! It works with the top installed too. Once we put it on I have never touched it again. It's almost as if it's apart of the top itself. It's nice to get the sun and air you want with the sun rider but still have some shade as well. That and on a really hot day it almost serves as some added insulation.

Reactions: Jorge Bolivar
View attachment 13728 View attachment 13729 View attachment 13730 We love our 06 model. The only issue I have with the trek too is that the back window is super tight and you can't really roll up/store the side windows as easy as the factory frame. If I could do it again I might have kept the factory soft top frame and purchased the bestop replace a top instead. We purchased the power stop drilled and slotted roters and pads for ours and love them! I sanded the calipers down and painted them with grey high heat paint and they have help up pretty good. Makes it much easier to work on if/when you have to take the rims and tires off. We have a 2 inch suspension and 1 inch body on 33x10.50x15's K02's and love the way it rides. If you have any questions on anything let me know! I think you have a great start so far and I'm looking forward to seeing the final product!

That thing looks fantastic! Nice, clean and simple, just the way I like it. Looks like you've got a real gem.

Don't even sweat about the rust on the brake rotors at all. That's completely normal, even @mrblaine will tell you that.

Wow, Jorge, that is sweet!
Don't sweat the rust on the break rotors...that sort of stuff can easily be fixed with electrolysis (one rotor a week) and you get to do a bearing re-pack too (yay!). http://www.instruccctables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-aka-Magic/ Lots of other examples of how-to-do-it online, just search for "electrolysis rust removal".
@DizJeep
Thanks for take a look and compliments...
This is a good info. Will look into try this. Curious how rotor will look after this process.

Reactions: Chris
Unless it is a Rubicon, or someone swapped axles, LJs don't have a front Dana 44, rear only.
I have been asking me how this thing ends up there too. I can't found any info either so I do take a look inside and is indeed a Dana 44 with 3.73 Track lock or true track on it that does not look to be on good shape. I have a Dana 30 30 splines shaft on the garage waiting for the Spartan locker to be installed, I will be swapping it soon until I can re gear and figure what is the real TruTrack conditions. One thing is for sure, PO does not use this Jeep 4x4 at all cause he may notice the issue for sure.

Reactions: JMT
September 14, 2017
I have been out a time to update my Build tread as my work travel spike up suddenly, but this does not mean that the Jeep build and Fun has stop. We have been working on it when I made it home and off road most we can.
On May 31 we swing by Cleveland 4WP and Dan advise us that he has the SRC and XCR bumper in stock and after some credit store I do have I end with a the bumpers loaded on the Odyssey...
upload_2017-9-14_23-33-43.png

The same day the suspensions parts start to arrive.
upload_2017-9-15_0-13-53.png

During this week was coping with Jonathan's Wife baby miscarriage. And since our girls has to stay on the Hospital we decide to enclose on the garage with a Jack Daniel bottle, suddenly we decide to install the bumpers.
upload_2017-9-15_0-31-13.png

Not without have some fun before...
upload_2017-9-15_0-33-43.png

Of course We change the enclosed hardware for Grade 8 hardware. Only thing I does not like from the front bumper is that the very common design and many fellas has the same. Rear one looks sturdy and the Tire carrier looks strong. simple design.

Reactions: JMT
It has been a long time I doesn't update this tread. Jeep and Plans has been change for good and sustancial so I will be posting few pictures and description of the related works until reach present days where the fun just has begun.

As the tread will be also designed to be informative it will contain links to different sub forums where we can learn about the different steps and ideas.

By the picture time the LJ has it's UCF Tummy Tuck, GR Trans cross member, Core 4x4 Tier 2 control Arms, 231TC with 2L, 6 gears planetary and new chain, pump and filter plus the SYE and new Drive shaft. Differentials has the Torq-Master lockers and chromolly axles shaft. PRP harness are supported by the Rockhard 4x4 harnes bar. By now this is a very capable LJ on 33's but have been learning and discovering many other things I'm willing to experiment with that not sure if it will remain like this for long time.

Few months later I do put 35" Pro Comp MT2 on it, just the tires were changed. Like to see myself what others mention about fit 35's with a 33's lift.

Reactions: Chris and JMT
Now let's the fun begin!
We decide to move tho a different level mostly because the terrain we wheel the most call for a different suspension set up and tire size.

New plans: (some details still on the drawing board)

Axles:
Rear: 14 Bolt. AAM edition.
Front: Dana 60 King Ping High Pinion
Lockers: Yukon Zip Lockers.
Gears 5:13 possibly 5:38 not sure on this yet.

Transfer case:

Dana 300 (flipped)

Suspension:

Hope to use a mid arms. I do still playing on the Triage 3 - 4 link calculator , lets see what's the final product it is.
Front: 3 Link
Rear: 4 link

ORI Struts

Rear: 12"
Front: 14"

Steering:

PSC:
Big bore Steering Box w Port assist, High volume pump and Ram assisted.
High Steer, Custom.

Body:

Hi-line fenders and fender flares. Rock Rails and Corner armor. Most aluminum is possible.

Tires:

40 x 13.5 R17 Pro Comp or Cooper but open to others depending on research.

Rims:

TBD

The will be non bead lock as We are planning to use Coyote Beadlock System

Full cage:

Looking at the UCF LJ roll cage as I can use the Trek Top and a Friend has it to proved that, but open to other options.

As anyone does when working on a project I do tons of info search and data recollection. I will be linking most of this info but will be up to the Administrator to allow it. (I like to play by the rules and some fellas dislike to see their info or websites published on this awesome forum. But that is different subject) Plus I will be doing my own How to Write ups to share my experiences as I do plant to do the 99% of the work on my Garage.

Will update later on.

Last edited:
Reactions: tomtaylz and Chris
It has been a long time I doesn't update this tread. Jeep and Plans has been change for good and sustancial so I will be posting few pictures and description of the related works until reach present days where the fun just has begun.

As the tread will be also designed to be informative it will contain links to different sub forums where we can learn about the different steps and ideas.

View attachment 78661

By the picture time the LJ has it's UCF Tummy Tuck, GR Trans cross member, Core 4x4 Tier 2 control Arms, 231TC with 2L, 6 gears planetary and new chain, pump and filter plus the SYE and new Drive shaft. Differentials has the Torq-Master lockers and chromolly axles shaft. PRP harness are supported by the Rockhard 4x4 harnes bar. By now this is a very capable LJ on 33's but have been learning and discovering many other things I'm willing to experiment with that not sure if it will remain like this for long time.

Few months later I do put 35" Pro Comp MT2 on it, just the tires were changed. Like to see myself what others mention about fit 35's with a 33's lift.
View attachment 78662
How long did you run 35s and the OME Ultimate kit for? Did you have to trim or add additional bump stop to the rear (greater than the 2" that already installed with the kit?)

I do run it for 6 - 7 months. Stillwell Jamboree OH, Raush Creek PA, Windrock TN, Wellsville OH, Phoenix Offroad park, OH plus other locals trails when i do have the time.

No, I didn't add bump stop but I do removed the rear OEM flares as the tires scuff them. Front no matter if you removed the flare you need to add more bump stop, but I didn't add them. If this will be your final set up, trim around 3/4" on the back of the rear wheel well avoid the tire hit the tub when flexing, the front is more complex as the rear is cover by the inner fender but is not that bad.

I do Offroad most of the time and no make major damage I wasn't expecting to, Onroad you have to watch the turning radius.

Reactions: IPerkWVU
I do run it for 6 - 7 months. Stillwell Jamboree OH, Raush Creek PA, Windrock TN, Wellsville OH, Phoenix Offroad park, OH plus other locals trails when i do have the time.

No, I didn't add bump stop but I do removed the rear OEM flares as the tires scuff them. Front no matter if you removed the flare you need to add more bump stop, but I didn't add them. If this will be your final set up, trim around 3/4" on the back of the rear wheel well avoid the tire hit the tub when flexing, the front is more complex as the rear is cover by the inner fender but is not that bad.

I do Offroad most of the time and no make major damage I wasn't expecting to, Onroad you have to watch the turning radius.
Always just thinking about 35's, staying with 33s this summer but who knows after that. I thought you had to trim about 3/4" of the rear corner to not have interference. May look at Metalcloak front fenders and keeping the suspension the same.

Doing the Tennessee Mountain Jamboree in April, looking forward to exploring Windrock

Good luck on the build, you got a serious list!