The virtues of having a winch

DavidBT

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Went exploring in an area near me called Las Cienegas NCA. Had a great day other than dropping my front tires and sticking my front bumper in the opposing bank. Fortunately there was a tree close enough to reach to pull myself out? I have to go back and try to find the end of the trail. It's following some power lines. I think I'll try next week. The yellow tape was broken and I didn't see it. I was able to find the pieces and put it back. Hope the next person finds it. There is a little bypass to get past this point fortunately.

20220907_132646.jpg

20220907_132620.jpg

20220907_120617.jpg

20220907_113230.jpg

Not preaching but be careful out by yourself-

If you have somebody with you at least you have a mobile winch point.

It is fun to get out, your Rubi looks nice.

Went exploring in an area near me called Las Cienegas NCA. Had a great day other than dropping my front tires and sticking my front bumper in the opposing bank. Fortunately there was a tree close enough to reach to pull myself out? I have to go back and try to find the end of the trail. It's following some power lines. I think I'll try next week. The yellow tape was broken and I didn't see it. I was able to find the pieces and put it back. Hope the next person finds it. There is a little bypass to get past this point fortunately.

View attachment 357748

View attachment 357749

View attachment 357750

View attachment 357751

Try putting your tires on each side of it

20220907_132646.jpg

Agree ^^^^

A winch gives you the confidence to sometimes get yourself in deeper than w/o one

But don't listen to this guy that goes out alone :sneaky:

Agree ^^^^

A winch gives you the confidence to sometimes get yourself in deeper than w/o one

But don't listen to this guy that goes out alone :sneaky:

Man I hear ya I love to get out and play around so much and everybody schedule is so busy in the modern world we would only get to go out once every five years if we wait for everything to line up-

I do think that it’s a good idea that somebody knows where you’re going especially if you get off the grid-

It’s a good idea to have some food and water in case you break down and you end up out there a while

Something to start a fire with could be pretty important

Anyway I feel like I’m doing to you what people do to me and I am getting in your business 😂

At the same time if you’re new to this these are just things to think about I nearly lost a really good friend years ago when we were out in the wild and never want to see anybody go through that-

One of the complications we had was when we got back to the vehicle nobody knew where the keys were- Anyway that’s another story for another day

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: JMT and Plumber1
Lack of winch is the reason why i am very careful when offroading down south. When dry it is fine, but after rain any innocent looking puddle more often than not ends up like this.

Screenshot from 2022-09-07 19-25-17.jpeg

When you see that much recently moved dirt and a shovel nearby, tread carefully anywhere the ground is not visible!! 😂

Reactions: DavidBT

View attachment 357748

View attachment 357749

View attachment 357750

View attachment 357751

LOL I started reading and thought wait a second. I know where that is. You don't even look lifted. Good on you for getting out there. What kind of winch do you have? I've been out that area with about 30+ Tucson Jeep clubbers.

Thanks Andy. I'm retired and haven't met anyone in my area or made any friends. I'm not into clubs and they're funky rules. At some point I do hope to meet up with members from this forum at some point. Maybe in the next year or so. I've been out of wheeling for 20 years or so and really having a great time exploring the area that I live?

LOL I started reading and thought wait a second. I know where that is. You don't even look lifted. Good on you for getting out there. What kind of winch do you have? I've been out that area with about 30+ Tucson Jeep clubbers.

This was heading North and towards the East cutting across the Whetstones following some power lines. I plan on going back next Wednesday to try and find the end or maybe cross the mountain. It would be cool if I can go across to hwy 90. I have a 12,000 lb winch that was on the jeep when I bought it? I never even tried the winch up to this point, my bad, I know. It did save my ass though.

Reactions: R3ID05TJ
Tomorrow I'll dig up my last gaia maps trail I did out that way last year. Nice scenic off road drive with a challenging hill to try and make it up to the top. With a really nice shaded tree area to take a break at.

It's just a tad bit north of there coming offoff 83 on east empire ranch road going up to North Canyon with a big loop by middle canyon and cedar canyon.

Reactions: RINC
Man I hear ya I love to get out and play around so much and everybody schedule is so busy in the modern world we would only get to go out once every five years if we wait for everything to line up-

I do think that it’s a good idea that somebody knows where you’re going especially if you get off the grid-

It’s a good idea to have some food and water in case you break down and you end up out there a while

Something to start a fire with could be pretty important

Anyway I feel like I’m doing to you what people do to me and I am getting in your business 😂

At the same time if you’re new to this these are just things to think about I nearly lost a really good friend years ago when we were out in the wild and never want to see anybody go through that-

One of the complications we had was when we got back to the vehicle nobody knew where the keys were- Anyway that’s another story for another day

I always tell my wife what area I'm wheeling in for sure. I definitely need to work on setting up a backpack just in case I do have to hike out aways.

Tomorrow I'll dig up my last gaia maps trail I did out that way last year. Nice scenic off road drive with a challenging hill to try and make it up to the top. With a really nice shaded tree area to take a break at.

It's just a tad bit north of there coming offoff 83 on east empire ranch road going up to North Canyon with a big loop by middle canyon and cedar canyon.

Is that trail in the Santa Rita OHV area?

I did the Santa Rita ohv trail from the mines all the way across the Santa Ritas to Madera canyon road with the wife and kids. That was a trek. Wasn't prepared for it. Came out of sahuarita Highlands and went South to the mines and then all the way across the mountain range to the West. Fun cruise but it was too long for the kids then went up Madera canyon to find a bathroom and they was freezing because I had the top off.

That took a few hours.

I did the Santa Rita ohv trail from the mines all the way across the Santa Ritas to Madera canyon road with the wife and kids. That was a trek. Wasn't prepared for it. Came out of sahuarita Highlands and went South to the mines and then all the way across the mountain range to the West. Fun cruise but it was too long for the kids then went up Madera canyon to find a bathroom and they was freezing because I had the top off.

That took a few hours.

I plan on checking that route out sometime myself. I live in Sierra Vista.

Reactions: R3ID05TJ
Was just in Sierra Vista couple weekends ago. Son played flag football against them. Nice views out there of Miller peak from stone sports complex.
IMG_20220813_083243.jpg

IMG_20220813_083245.jpg