The Weekend Fun Build

Finally figured out why I couldn't get my driver's side headlight aimed correctly.

IMG_20201228_171828.jpg

Rather than spend the money on new buckets, I think I'll spend a couple bucks on hardware and try @mrblaine's trick of using a regular bolt with washers and a lock nut on the back side.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Finally figured out why I couldn't get my driver's side headlight aimed correctly.

Fixed.

IMG_20201229_133215.jpg

The M5 socket cap screws at the hardware store weren't full thread so I just reused the old screw. Add a couple washers with a lock nut on the back side and it's plenty stable. I also took the time to reset the adjustment screws on both buckets before reinstalling and adjusting them. For the first time ever, the headlights on my Jeep are aimed properly.

Fixed.

View attachment 214984

The M5 socket cap screws at the hardware store weren't full thread so I just reused the old screw. Add a couple washers with a lock nut on the back side and it's plenty stable. I also took the time to reset the adjustment screws on both buckets before reinstalling and adjusting them. For the first time ever, the headlights on my Jeep are aimed properly.

I had to do something similar with an e-clip, some washers and a nylock nut:

headlightadjustmentfix.jpg

Reactions: fuse
Started installing the MORryde tailgate reinforcement this afternoon, but didn’t finish it. As always, projects are never as simple as they look.

33D89FEC-C008-4E03-A84C-3F31180DA5CA.jpeg

Getting all the bolts in was kind of a pain, and when I did get everything bolted up the tailgate had shifted slightly and didn’t open or close properly. So I spent an hour or so fiddling with trim sticks to line it back up. I got it pretty close, but it’s still off by a tiny bit.

Then I discovered that the snubber bolts in the kit have the wrong thread. Not a big deal, but I have to make a run for new hardware to get the right bolts.

And when I was tightening one of the tailgate bolts to spec with a torque wrench I felt the nut on the inside come loose. So now I have to drill a hole on the inside of the tailgate to get at it. Again, no big deal. Just not as easy as it could have been.

Hopefully I can finish the job tomorrow. But that depends on having the right hardware in stock at a local store.

Where are you in SD? I’m in La Mesa! We should get together and wheel!

Reactions: j8ksdad
Where are you in SD? I’m in La Mesa! We should get together and wheel!
Absolutely! I'm right in San Diego, near 8 and 15. So not far at all.

Saw you added me to the SoCal list. 👍

We've got a good group of friends who are pretty active. The usual spread of JKs and JLs with a couple YJs, BUs, and one FJ (Fake Jeep). I'm also sometimes out with the Ocotillo Trail Riders and occasionally with SDJC.

Put the final touches on the Morryde tailgate reinforcement the other day. Cut and painted some offsets for the snubbers and CHMSL.

IMG_20210305_112052.jpg

I drilled out the back side of one hinge bolt that had stripped out so I could install a nut. I guess the other tailgate bolts just thread into the sheet metal, which explains how the threads here had failed. Fortunately, the hole is the perfect size for a spare rubber diff plug. :D

IMG_20210304_123018.jpg
IMG_20210304_123113.jpg

Job done.

IMG_20210305_113050.jpg

I had to remove my CB antenna mount in the process, but I haven't used the CB in a long time anyway. Our group is all on Ham, so I'll upgrade to a mobile VHF radio soon and move the antenna to a taillight mount.

Reactions: bobthetj03