The Wiper Arm Sprayer Mod: Your Windshield Doesn't Need To Be Filthy Anymore.

jjvw

useless stäff member
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
This is the wiper arm sprayer mod for adding sprayers to the wiper arms of a TJ. GM cars and truck have this. The idea is to put wiper fluid directly onto the windshield as the blade wipes across the windshield. This helps with clearing the windshield on windy days and during heavy snow when the hood mounted sprayer might get covered. I have experience both problems often enough that the modification intrigued me. A quick trip to the junk yard and $7 later I have a big handful of GM sprayer nozzles, hoses and T's.

This became an education in the variety sprayer nozzles. The type I selected came off of a early-90's van. The middle piece below. It shoots water in three directions. Up, down and directly at the windshield. I blocked off the holes that sprayed down, because all they did was soak the hood.

20160320_174058-jpg.jpg

Most of the nozzles have this little nub that needs to be cut away.

20160320_174318-jpg.jpg

Find this retainer clip to help secure the hose to the wiper arm.

20160320_173911-jpg.jpg

The nozzle is positioned so it is just below but not blocked by the wiper blade.
20160320_174811-jpg.jpg

20160320_174541-jpg.jpg

Remove the cowl and drill a hole.
20160320_172637-jpg.jpg

This is easiest to do from the engine bay where there is a small dimple to the right of the bracket that hold the main wiring harness.
Image coming....

This tee fits through the new hole in the firewall.
20160320_173314-jpg.jpg

Two water lines run from the tee to each wiper arm shaft.
20160320_183449-jpg.jpg

Splice a tee into the factory water line.
20160320_181510-jpg.jpg

Run a water line connecting the factory hose to the tee that passes into the cowl.

Replace the cowl cover and fit both water lines though the wiper arm holes. The 90* elbow serves as a quick release for all those time we remove our wipers and fold down the windshield.

20160320_184321-jpg.jpg

Install the modded wiper arms and connect the new water lines.
20160320_185239-jpg.jpg

You will now have a very clean windshield very quickly.

I added silicone to all the connections inside the cowl, just to make sure they stay sealed. I also kept the factory hood nozzle active. The pump has no trouble pushing all three sprayers.

A few days after, I drove 4 hours to Aspen during a heavy blizzard and the subsequent road spray combined with heavy winds. This was the perfect test. During similar conditions in the past, the wind could blow much of the spray away before hitting the windshield. The additional wiper fluid made quick work of the dirty salty mist that accumulates and quickly dries on the windshield.

Hopefully someone can find them for us! I would really like to tackle this task tomorrow. I have a pump not working.

Part numbers will be tough to get. These are little junk yard pieces from multiple 20-30 year old vehicles. Just walk the rows and start collecting anything that might work. Be creative. What I came up with isn't the only way and hopefully not the best way, either.

I got mine from early 90s to early 00s gm vehicles. I think I also found one that would work from a 90s ford van. Junkyard didn’t even charge me for mine

Last edited:
Hey guys I found some nozzles that worked really well. I followed all steps as @jjvw said to do. I didn't really have time to go to a junkyard so I started researching around. I found these and they worked really well for me. It came in a (3) pack for around $7. Here is the link below.

Dorman 924-5403 Windshield Washer Nozzle Kit, Pack of 3 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009PJK0M0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Hey guys I found some nozzles that worked really well. I followed all steps as @jjvw said to do. I didn't really have time to go to a junkyard so I started researching around. I found these and they worked really well for me. It came in a (3) pack for around $7. Here is the link below.

Dorman 924-5403 Windshield Washer Nozzle Kit, Pack of 3 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009PJK0M0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Thank you! Was hoping that by the time Spring hits someone would have posted a known usable part. Takes care of the last $8 on my gift card from Christmas :)

Reactions: jjvw