The world of Mahindra Jeeps

psrivats

Team green shackle
Supporting Member
Growing up in India, I saw a lot of Mahindra Jeeps all around. Police still use them a lot in the city. They are part and parcel of the life in semi-rural areas even to this day all over the country.

In some sense, Mahindra carried on the original Jeep legacy even longer than the various iterations of companies that owned the Jeep name did. These vehicles were very utilitarian (see the BHP numbers quoted in the article for instance) and for what they were built to do, they did it pretty well.

https://www.cartoq.com/the-many-many-jeep-clones-by-mahindra-stretching-a-legacy/amp/

I'll bet those things are very durable too, huh?

Easy to work on, utilitarian, etc. That's the type of vehicle you want if it's going to be used day-in and day-out in harsh conditions. Definitely beats traveling by foot (or camel?).

I'll bet those things are very durable too, huh?

Easy to work on, utilitarian, etc. That's the type of vehicle you want if it's going to be used day-in and day-out in harsh conditions. Definitely beats traveling by foot (or camel?).

The diesel engines in a good number of them are very easy to work on from what I heard. They are not HP/torque behemoths like a Cummins but they lasted a long time. Only bad thing about the older engines was that they were not very environmentally friendly. Newer ones are far better but still won't meet US/Euro standards I believe.

Reactions: Chris
In some sense, Mahindra carried on the original Jeep legacy even longer than the various iterations of companies that owned the Jeep name did. These vehicles were very utilitarian (see the BHP numbers quoted in the article for instance) and for what they were built to do, they did it pretty well.

Definitely agree with that point. I don't grudge Jeep for moving their cars into the modern era with all the new tech, but I still wish they made capable modern new Jeeps that were more simple and straight forward without all the unnecessary stuff.

Also, thanks for sharing the link. Was great to see more of the Mahindras.

Reactions: psrivats
Only bad thing about the older engines was that they were not very environmentally friendly.

Of course that also made them a lot easier to work on in most cases, as it required less bullshit.

The new diesels (according to my buddy who is a diesel mechanic) have actually become quite complicated. Nothing close to the old mechanical diesels of the past.

Is the engine from their tractor line? (Which is one of the best tractor brands) I saw a YouTube clip that claimed to double the h.p. Didn't say how, turbo be my guess. It wasn't blowing black exhaust. Moved that "jeep" right snappy like. Wonder how hard to bolt one of those in a TJ? Should be less than the $10G Cummins says their setup costs

I'm passing through southern Missouri right now and saw a Roxor rolling through town. First time I've seen one in person.

Reactions: StG58
I'm passing through southern Missouri right now and saw a Roxor rolling through town. First time I've seen one in person.

I thought they were illegal for regular road use? Were they flirting with the law perhaps? I'd like to drive one someday.

I have a 4x4 Mahindra and love it! :)
IMG_20190514_151445260_HDR.jpg