TheDirtWorx Tire Carrier Review

PStov98TJ

TJ Enthusiast
Did this review on another forum 1.5 years ago, but figured I'd share it here as well. The very slight modifications I've made to it are listed at the end and were done purely for my evolving personal preferences and needs. All in all, I'd gladly buy it again. Enjoy the read and feel free to ask any questions you come up with.

I got this bumper back in March for about $400 shipped to my front door and it sat at my house for a while until I finished finals last week. His typical carrier with hi-lift mount has the hi-lift mounted at an angle and I wanted something a little different and thought mounting it horizontally looked a little cleaner. So I emailed him and he said it wasn't a problem at all. It comes with everything you'll need including grade 8 hardware and a hold down. The only other thing I would have liked is some frame tie-ins but I'm working on those now (I have since installed frame tie-ins). This is how it started out.

Bumper:
Front (side you see):
null_zps8bdb37e7.jpg

Rear (side attached to frame):
null_zpsed15485a.jpg

Side View:
null_zpsfda1ed6c.jpg

Carrier (it has a zerk fitting on the hinge and takes grease like a champ) :
Front:
null_zpscfaa763b.jpg

Hi-Lift Mount:
null_zps8a355ddf.jpg

After some sanding, Rustoleum self-etching primer, and then flat black Rustoleum, here's the final product. Came out pretty well for $30 worth of paint and primer. I can fully open the swing out portion even with the hi-lift attached without hitting the body and no interference at all with the hold down's movement. I did have to flip the top "hook" part of the jack over but that's not a big deal at all (picture of that down below). The hinge is very easy to move and the hold down that he provides is very sturdy and does a good job. There are no rattles coming from the carrier at all and I've driven about 100 miles with it on with the top down. I plan on getting a thick wire of some sort and running it through the spare, the jack, and the little spots for chains by the hitch to at least slow down a theft attempt and also as a back up for the hold down (just in case something jars it open, although I doubt it will) (Spoiler Alert: Nothing has EVER jarred the gate open 1.5 years later and I only run a wire through the spare to at least make theft less enticing). This is a solid carrier and I'd definitely buy it again if I had to do it all over again with zero hesitation. If you have any questions about it let me know. Here are some pictures of it:

null_zps61b0c1d3.jpg

null_zpsc78536f1.jpg

Backside view:

null_zpsce3c71fc.jpg

And this is with the carrier fully open showing the hi-lift not touching the body:

null_zps1a388be3.jpg

The only thing I have changed on this carrier is the hi-lift mount. Not thinking when I ordered it, I asked if it could be mounted horizontally as pictured, a custom modification he was willing to do for free. DirtWorx (Robert is his name I believe), normally mounts them on the A-frame part of the swing out gate - a much better location. Why I asked him to change it is beyond me at this point. Upon receiving the carrier, I remembered that I live on the coast in Mississippi. Mud is a fact of life and essentially unavoidable in the entire Southeastern region. That means the jack would get covered in mud every single time I hit the trails. I also didn't like how exposed it was down there (yes, I'm eating my words for those of you who have seen the original post…they taste like crow if you're curious). So…since my buddy decided to get a welder recently, I am planning on letting him practice on my bumper. I will cut the hi-lift mount off, shorten the support arm significantly, and weld it back exactly where it is to install some auxiliary back up lighting.\

I hope y'all enjoyed the read and feel free to hit me with any questions you have!

Reactions: Chris
As far as a third brake light, I installed Lug Nut LED's (forgot what company made them). But they are a super easy install and a quick, effective, and affordable solution if you need a 3rd brake light for your local laws…or if you're like me and just like giving the morons driving around us a little extra warning to avoid being rear ended. Because lets be honest, it's in their car's best interest. I don't see a cheap-o foreign built bumper or hood surviving well if they ever did hit this tire carrier.

This looks like a high quality made in the USA (I assume?) bumper. I like the fact that you were able to mount the jack on the back in the way that you did, that looks really slick!

Oh, as for the third brake light: I did away with mine completely and replaced my taillights with Rugged Ridge LED tails. My god those things are so insanely bright when you hit the brakes there's no way anyone could miss you. One of the best inexpensive mods I've done to my TJ thus far.

This looks like a high quality made in the USA (I assume?) bumper.
Yep. Made in California in his garage. He's a one man operation (or was at the time at least). Super nice guy and a joy to do business with.

I plan on getting the savvy taillights eventually. If two little LED's are that bright, I can only imagine what a whole taillight housing of them would be like. But I have a few driveline and mechanical upgrades I want to do first. I've gotten my fix of body/exterior mods out of the way in the form of some Metalcloak products that I will be installing after Christmas :D And those will also get a write-up, possibly in a build thread if I can come up with a good title for it by then.

Nice, gotta love stuff that's made in the USA. That's one reason I love Revolution stuff so much, as well as anything that Blaine has set his hands on.

I'll be looking forward to seeing how thanks fenders look and the finished result. In the meantime, I need a new rear bumper / tire carrier myself. I've considered ditching the rear tire altogether, but that seems like it just wouldn't have that classic TJ look at that point.

Reactions: mikespine
I rocked the no spare for a while when I was looking for a good carrier. I kinda liked it. Access to the rear was so easy and I could actually see out the back window. But my jeep just isn't built up enough yet to really pull it off in my opinion. And I have to drive pretty good distances to get to any trails that are more than just rutted out mud pits, so having a spare for all that highway driving is a must in my mind and gives me some peace of mind when I'm 100-150+ miles away from home.

I rocked the no spare for a while when I was looking for a good carrier. I kinda liked it. Access to the rear was so easy and I could actually see out the back window. But my jeep just isn't built up enough yet to really pull it off in my opinion. And I have to drive pretty good distances to get to any trails that are more than just rutted out mud pits, so having a spare for all that highway driving is a must in my mind and gives me some peace of mind when I'm 100-150+ miles away from home.

Yep, I agree. In addition that, I drove without the spare tire for a while but it just looked a bit naked on the back without it. I guess I had gotten so used to it that I just missed it.

Here's an update. Installed reverse lights. Wired to the reverse switch and a switch on the dash. Very bright and I wish I had better pics of them.
3359092F-CBCA-42F1-A63F-0AE3FD90A663_zpsne6qeqco.jpg

That's definitely a nice one! Back when I was looking for a tire carrier, I was too scared to drill into the body. Now not so much. I don't regret my decision, but that ORfab is VERY nice as well.

That's definitely a nice one! Back when I was looking for a tire carrier, I was too scared to drill into the body. Now not so much. I don't regret my decision, but that ORfab is VERY nice as well.

I had that same reservation about drilling into the body. I overcame that though in the past months because I realized in the end it's worth it.

It's very spendy but I really like the way it works and looks.

Yep. Definitely worth it. And the factory drilled plenty of holes, a few more can't hurt

As long as they're covered up nicely and drilled properly, it can't hurt at all. For some reason I was afraid to drill holes because I was thinking it would negatively affect resale value. I realized now after all the money and mods I've done that of anything my resale value is more than it would be if it was stock.

I know a guy locally who does nothing but build Jeeps. He recently very easily sold one of his very, very modified Wrangler TJs for 40k.

Granted this thing was fully built with axles, lift, etc., the point is that I think you can easily get your money back on mods if you sell the vehicle to the right person who wants an off-road capable rig.

Reactions: PStov98TJ
I'm a big fan of Dirt Worx's quality, I've bought two of his rear bumpers over the years and I'm running one on my present TJ. The owner is definitely a good guy, I went to his house to pick up the first bumper and he has a cool bumper manufacturing operation going on in his garage. What I worry about on that spare tire carrier though is it looks like the swing-out arm is only held on by a sleeve over a post with no bearings. Good bumper mounted spare tire carriers use heavy bearings or an axle hub with a top & bottom bearing.

I have to say I'm no fan of any bumper-mounted spare tire carrier so my concern over the lack of bearings on the Dirt Worx swing-out may be a little clouded by that. Not to mention that is also how Smittybilt makes their swing-out tire carrier. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: mikespine
Well I can say that after greasing it intermittently, it has served me well. I don't beat it on the rocks (none where I live) but it hasn't skipped a beat as far as my use has gone.