• Want to add an app icon for this forum to your mobile device's home screen? Check out this thread to see how.
  • Have an event you want to share? Check out the new forum event calendar and how-to use it in this thread here.
  • To both new members and existing members, please read this thread about posting your topics in the correct sub-forum. It makes my job (and my life) a lot easier!

There's really no such thing as an "LJ"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Since the term "LJ" is just something that people made up to refer to the 04-06 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (it's still a TJ, just an "Unlimited" model), I got to thinking, why are we calling them LJs? After all, the JK Unlimited is referred to as a JKU, which makes a lot more sense.

Seems like we should instead be referring to the LJ as a TJU.

I think it's probably a lot more accurate than calling it an LJ, which I'm not entirely sure who made up (but clearly it stuck).

Just an interesting observation.

FTI76

Brian Flad
Supporting Member
Since the term "LJ" is just something that people made up to refer to the 04-06 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (it's still a TJ, just an "Unlimited" model), I got to thinking, why are we calling them LJs? After all, the JK Unlimited is referred to as a JKU, which makes a lot more sense.

Seems like we should instead be referring to the LJ as a TJU.

I think it's probably a lot more accurate than calling it an LJ, which I'm not entirely sure who made up (but clearly it stuck).

Just an interesting observation.
Long Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: JeepNWilly

jjvw

It's great. No Issues.
Supporting Member
The yellow body tag says LJ. The maroon is mine and says TJ.

Can anyone else with an Unlimited and non-Unlimited post pics of theirs to verify?
ba81fa2a0809a078306333b8eb6e27a4.jpg
731e244314424515af45eb3ccfc4459a.jpg

Reactions: JeepNWilly

Mr. Bills

TJ Addict
It no longer matters whether "LJ" is correct or incorrect or whether or not it was ever an official designation by Chrysler. The TJ Unlimited has been called the "LJ" by jeep enthusiasts since it first came on the market in 2004 and "LJ" it shall always be.

BTW, my "TJ Unlimited" has the same LJ stamped on the body tag.

jjvw

It's great. No Issues.
Supporting Member
If LJ on the tag doesn't mean LJ as we have been using it, then what does it mean? Does the TJ stamp not really mean TJ? Do the tags ever say anything else?

Reactions: cjaama and Starrs
OP
Chris

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Here you go:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/what-does-tj-stand-for.1129/#post-14227

Blaine is right. It was never once used in any sort of marketing material, parts catalogs, diagrams, service manuals, or anything like that by Chrysler.

So while the plates may say LJ on them, it wasn’t an actual chassis code used by Chrysler.

Why it’s on that plate, I have no idea. It must have been an unofficial term, much like it still is.

Reactions: John E Lane

EJD

TJ Overlander
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
"The 2004½ Wrangler Unlimited (TJ-L or LJ) was the first introduction of the Jeep Unlimited name." -Wikipedia

Status
Not open for further replies.