Technically your LJ is really a TJ Unlimited

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
This thread is really meant as a resource thread for owners who are new to the TJ platform. My intention is not to hurt anyone's feelings (read this thread so far and you'll find out that there are some super sensitive people on this forum), but more or less to educate new owners.

I've gotten personal emails from a number of people who ask me things such as "Why is your forum for TJs only and not LJs?" and other such questions. You wouldn't think so, but these questions get asked far more often than you'd think, which really brings to light the amount of new owners out there who are simply misinformed about what they have.

The term "LJ" (short for Long Jeep) is one that was coined by the TJ enthusiast community. It was never once used in any official Jeep marketing material at the time, nor was it used by the service department, parts diagrams, accessory catalogs, etc. It has always been referred to by Jeep as the TJ Unlimited, much like the JK platform has the JK Unlimited, and the JL platform has the JL Unlimited.

Now that is not to say that you can't continue to refer to it as an LJ. Again, my only intention with this thread is to inform people (and believe me, there are a lot of misinformed people) that it only ever referred to as the TJ Unlimited by Jeep.

Since the term "LJ" is just something that people made up to refer to the 04-06 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (it's still a TJ, just an "Unlimited" model), I got to thinking, why are we calling them LJs? After all, the JK Unlimited is referred to as a JKU, which makes a lot more sense.

Seems like we should instead be referring to the LJ as a TJU.

I think it's probably a lot more accurate than calling it an LJ, which I'm not entirely sure who made up (but clearly it stuck).

Just an interesting observation.

Long Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: JeepNWilly
The yellow body tag says LJ. The maroon is mine and says TJ.

Can anyone else with an Unlimited and non-Unlimited post pics of theirs to verify?
ba81fa2a0809a078306333b8eb6e27a4.jpg
731e244314424515af45eb3ccfc4459a.jpg

Reactions: JeepNWilly
It no longer matters whether "LJ" is correct or incorrect or whether or not it was ever an official designation by Chrysler. The TJ Unlimited has been called the "LJ" by jeep enthusiasts since it first came on the market in 2004 and "LJ" it shall always be.

BTW, my "TJ Unlimited" has the same LJ stamped on the body tag.

If LJ on the tag doesn't mean LJ as we have been using it, then what does it mean? Does the TJ stamp not really mean TJ? Do the tags ever say anything else?

Reactions: cjaama and Starrs
Here you go:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/what-does-tj-stand-for.1129/#post-14227

Blaine is right. It was never once used in any sort of marketing material, parts catalogs, diagrams, service manuals, or anything like that by Chrysler.

So while the plates may say LJ on them, it wasn’t an actual chassis code used by Chrysler.

Why it’s on that plate, I have no idea. It must have been an unofficial term, much like it still is.

Reactions: John E Lane
"The 2004½ Wrangler Unlimited (TJ-L or LJ) was the first introduction of the Jeep Unlimited name." -Wikipedia