They really dropped the ball on Game of Thrones season 8

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Color me unimpressed.

They've tried to cram what should have been two more seasons into 6 episodes, and it really shows.

Everything is rushed, the battle with the white walkers was do damn dark I had a hard time seeing things even on my big screen TV with the lights turned off, and everything is just happening so fast.

I mean what, now we're supposed to believe that Daenerys is the "mad queen" (or at least that's where I think they are going with this) when in reality she hasn't done anything that incriminating yet (I'd be fucking pissed off if you killed my dragon and one of my advisors as well).

Oh, and Varys and Tyrion. Clearly they are working on betraying her, but for what?

Again, all of this has happened so fast it's just way too rushed. If they wanted her to turn all mad, they should have done this over the period of 2 more seasons so they had time to actually build on it.

I'm very, very, very disappointed with this season. This show is going to end with a lot of people just trying not to remember the final season.

I just don't get it though, with three Game of Thrones spin-offs in the works, clearly they can't say that they ended it after 8 seasons because of lack of interest. So then why?

HBO screws up most shows that make it multiple seasons, the Sopranos just went black, Boardwalk Empire completely dropped the ball skipping the Saint Valentine's Day Massacre, I heard Sex and the City's movies were terrible but I haven't seen them myself, Deadwood disappeared until the movie airs this month.I've been waiting a decade to find out what happened to Mr Wu.

HBO is best at single season shows they can wrap up in 1 go, Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Generation Kill, Chernobyl is even looking good so far.

Reactions: Chris
Agreed. Especially when each episode of S8 is like 1.5 hours long....give or take.

Was a bit anti-climatic that S8E3 battle ended with the knife to the gut.

I also felt that more "main" characters should have been offed in the battle...several were implied that they would die....like Jamie and the "Tall Woman"...during a scene but cut back and they've moved on.

Lastly, in S8E4, I was HUGELY disappointed that when Bran was to tell his sisters that Jon Snow was not Jon Snow, nor a Stark, they cut to another scene. WTF?? I'm here for the drama ..... show me their faces and them trying to ration it out.....oh well....DENIED! (as Wayne would say)

Reactions: JLLJ
Never saw it, never will.
game-of-thrones.jpg

The hype for the season was better than the season. I hate to say that but it hasn't been as awesome as I thought. The battle for WF was a letdown. You have the best air support available and it's too busy flying around in the clouds not doing anything; worst CAS ever.
Jon's role in that episode was useless and to have that many undead not just murder everyone...I mean c'mon man.

Another issue: If everyone had dragon glass weapons, and that was supposed to permanently kill the dead, how did the knight king bring them all back when Jon was charging?

Overall, I'm still going to watch with anticipation, but the execution has not been as good as advertised. I never cared for Dany, she annoyed me for the most part. Oh well...is it Sunday yet?

I read an article about a week ago saying, basically, since the end of the books all of the schemers and geniuses are now dumb and/ or irrelevant. It's sad but true.

Varys, who has reach all over the world, never uses it. He's relegated to being Tyrion's advisor.

Tyrion, who was a good strategic planner, now constantly screws up.

Littlefinger somehow never saw his demise coming? Really? One of the best at moving pieces around the board never thought that 2 sisters would communicate with each other? They're living in the same castle.

The show would have been great for 10 seasons. Time would allow for the many plots to play themselves out.

Oh well, if we get this worked up, it must mean they're doing something right.

I guess...

I'm looking forward to a big battle in episode 5, but also a huge letdown. With as rushed as things are, they are making things unbelievable by making them happening way too fast.

Like I said, Daenerys turning into the mad queen? I'm sorry, but for me to believe that it should have gradually happened over an entire 8-10 episode season, not one single episode!

Reactions: RV-TJ
The show would have been great for 10 seasons
I completely agree and would love to have at least one more good season, but it has to end or it will end up like the train wreck that is the walking dead; that show really needs to die.
Once I finish reading pet semetary, I may pick up the GoT books, rumor has it those will make me an elitest GoT fan.

Side Topic: Anyone interested in a book sharing thread?

I mostly enjoyed the books. Unfortunately I learned about half way through the first book that you can't get invested in the plot with any hope of there being good guys and bad guys and maybe the good guys will prevail. If the show ends with Cersei flying around on a dragon carrying Jon and Dany's heads on spikes while fucking the dwarf, it wouldn't be far fetched or out of any realm of how fucked up GRRM is or his control of the plot. It is entertainment, it is better than reruns of Friends or another bullshit episode of the Big Bang Theory. It isn't real, I don't expect it to be or for it to be accurate or make sense.

I mostly enjoyed the books. Unfortunately I learned about half way through the first book that you can't get invested in the plot with any hope of there being good guys and bad guys and maybe the good guys will prevail.

I haven't read the books, but from what I gather you're saying, there is no clear "good guy" or "bad guy" in the books.

It seems with the show they've gone the opposite direction and really established what they want people to perceive as "good guys" (Jon Snow), and "bad guys" (Cersei).

I think part of that may just be Hollywood. I'd read an article years back talking about how many screenwriters were forced to change the endings of books (ones that had sad endings), because sad and unhappy endings didn't sell well on TV and in movies.

Guess we'll see how they end the show, versus how he ends the books.

Reactions: ICDGary
The 2 show runners (we'll just call them Dumb and Dumber) ran out of George RR Martin's book material in Season 6. This showed in 6 just a bit, a whole lot in 7, and 8 just plain blows chunks. I used to be a prolific reader and enjoy a great story with rich character development. GOT had that on TV, but season 7 went to hell in a handbasket with folks "teleporting" all over the GOT world map, changing locations in a matter of hours where before the show used to respect distance by moving on to stories of the other characters.
I get the need to wrap it all up now, but holy time compression, Batman, this has gone far beyond goofy.
Think back to when Jon and the crew so stupidly went north to bag a Wyte (wight?) to "convince" Cersei of the Army of Dead threat: They trekked for 3 days, and once under attack Gendry runs back to the wall in a few hours, which kicks off a raven to Dany (A hyper-sonic raven apparently) who flies 800ish miles in minutes then Dany flies back with a few dragons (again hyper-sonic travel) all in less time than it takes to chill our heroes fully. Those heroes who were ultimately protected by the wicked thick "plot armor" of course, because nearly every male hero was out past the Wall on a wild goose chase. It's crap like that where a story starts going sideways and it has basically gone down hill since then.

All that being said, I look forward to it getting wrapped up, not so much for the sheer entertainment as it was before, but to see just how badly they jump the shark in the final two episodes. Unfortunately these two dimwits that have ruined what was one of the best ever series on television (think back to the series finale of Dexter, this is becoming that bad.... eek!) have a 3 movie deal to do Star Wars stuff. Yes, I'm an old man who saw the original Star Wars when I was 8, it is a favorite as it has been with me literally my whole life, but these chuckleheads are going to ruin it deeper than Rian Wilson did with the Last Jedi garbage.

And yes. I am ashamed I know all this and typed it all out. Not deeply ashamed, mind you, but ashamed nevertheless.

I haven't read the books, but from what I gather you're saying, there is no clear "good guy" or "bad guy" in the books.

It seems with the show they've gone the opposite direction and really established what they want people to perceive as "good guys" (Jon Snow), and "bad guys" (Cersei).

I think part of that may just be Hollywood. I'd read an article years back talking about how many screenwriters were forced to change the endings of books (ones that had sad endings), because sad and unhappy endings didn't sell well on TV and in movies.

Guess we'll see how they end the show, versus how he ends the books.
No, there were clearly good guys and bad guys in the books. You just learned early on that you can't get invested in rooting for the good guys because them being good usually meant they weren't going to be around long. One of the first bad things that happens is Ned kills one of the dire wolves that each of his children were given due to someone lying about being hurt by it. Shortly after, Mr. Stark's head is on a pike.

Reactions: Chris
...but it has to end or it will end up like the train wreck that is the walking dead; that show really needs to die.

I was into that show for the first 4 seasons, havent seen it since. After that it just got boring. How long can you run from zombies?

The 2 show runners (we'll just call them Dumb and Dumber) ran out of George RR Martin's book material in Season 6. This showed in 6 just a bit, a whole lot in 7, and 8 just plain blows chunks. I used to be a prolific reader and enjoy a great story with rich character development. GOT had that on TV, but season 7 went to hell in a handbasket with folks "teleporting" all over the GOT world map, changing locations in a matter of hours where before the show used to respect distance by moving on to stories of the other characters.
I get the need to wrap it all up now, but holy time compression, Batman, this has gone far beyond goofy.
Think back to when Jon and the crew so stupidly went north to bag a Wyte (wight?) to "convince" Cersei of the Army of Dead threat: They trekked for 3 days, and once under attack Gendry runs back to the wall in a few hours, which kicks off a raven to Dany (A hyper-sonic raven apparently) who flies 800ish miles in minutes then Dany flies back with a few dragons (again hyper-sonic travel) all in less time than it takes to chill our heroes fully. Those heroes who were ultimately protected by the wicked thick "plot armor" of course, because nearly every male hero was out past the Wall on a wild goose chase. It's crap like that where a story starts going sideways and it has basically gone down hill since then.

All that being said, I look forward to it getting wrapped up, not so much for the sheer entertainment as it was before, but to see just how badly they jump the shark in the final two episodes. Unfortunately these two dimwits that have ruined what was one of the best ever series on television (think back to the series finale of Dexter, this is becoming that bad.... eek!) have a 3 movie deal to do Star Wars stuff. Yes, I'm an old man who saw the original Star Wars when I was 8, it is a favorite as it has been with me literally my whole life, but these chuckleheads are going to ruin it deeper than Rian Wilson did with the Last Jedi garbage.

And yes. I am ashamed I know all this and typed it all out. Not deeply ashamed, mind you, but ashamed nevertheless.
I was going to mention Dexter in my first post. Up through season 4 was really good. I've told people that asked about that show to stop there.