Thimbles are almost here

I finally got samples and am about to place an order for some spools of line. I mean I literally just got them yesterday.

Great news !

Might want to write on the eventual web page "no abrasion sleeve will be included" before someone orders it and then calls you to ask for one :)

• Haha
Reactions: MountaineerTom
FYI- a bit of clarification on the plastic fids that I've been sending with the thimbles. Yes, I am just as sad as you are over the less than stellar quality. But, you are only going to use them a few times so if you need something better, don't depend on others to provide it. You know what you need by that time, fetch it up. Now for the rest of the story. Somehow in some manner, the very high quality versions that we used to get have now been changed in both part and company name. But, if you look at the back of the package, they are still Wellington.

Wellington is the name on the older stock I had a pack from. I ordered based on that and kept getting the Secureline junk in its place. When I went to return them, that is when I figured out the name change and sorta maybe what they did. All I really know is I can't find the older good ones anywhere and I've got too many of the junk ones to throw them away. They work, they just aren't nice like the original Wellington stuff is.

1670340738685.png

I used that set for mine. It got the job done. I have had decent luck with hacked up Bic pen too or no fid at all. I used these videos as a reference below and he doesn't use a fid at all.

I used that set for mine. It got the job done. I have had decent luck with hacked up Bic pen too or no fid at all. I used these videos as a reference below and he doesn't use a fid at all.

I know they work, they are just not who I am. But another side of me doesn't like throwing stuff that will work away. I'll just send them out with a bit more shame that I can't do better than I would like and apologize in advance.

I know they work, they are just not who I am. But another side of me doesn't like throwing stuff that will work away. I'll just send them out with a bit more shame that I can't do better than I would like and apologize in advance.
I feel your pain. Its hard to put out a quality product when you can't get quality from your suppliers. I won't bore everyone with a long story, but I had to deal with a similar situation, and use parts of acceptable, but lower quality than I wanted, for my own product, the Sistra (Sistrums) that I make.

I understand that completely. I only mentioned it as a satisfied customer with the hopes that maybe you wouldn't be so hard on yourself for it. The end product is really nice. I got my thimble and fairlead swapped on recently and it's real nice!

Reactions: Zorba and mrblaine
So not ready for prime time?

I'm less than pleased but we are fighting another problem that I've held off talking about for personal reasons. I was pretty good friends with our machinist who did a lot of stuff for us. Knuckles, tie rods, fair leads, lots of rotor work for brake kit adapting to hub kits, control arms when needed, etc. I got a call from his son right before Christmas telling that his father passed away. We have been in a mad scramble to replace the services he performed for us and are just now starting to see some progress. To call it insanely difficult in today's highly screwed up work environment is an understatement. That and I'm very sad I no longer have him as a friend which has not been pleasant.

There are two groups of machinists out there now for the most part. On the verge of retirement and not taking on big jobs, or extremely busy and very high priced. That and a lot of them are just parts makers. They don't know how to solve problems, they just want a print and number of pieces to run. Almost none of my work does well in that environment. I need someone who can think, solve problems and is creative.

Very sorry for his family and you, Blaine, he must have been one heck of a good guy on all fronts...