Things I have found that rattle, chirp, or squeak

Top of my dash, somewhere under the top trim piece. Something there that slides left/right when I go around curves. My daughter calls it the nickle. I've popped that trim off many times, used a flashlight and mirror, still can't find it.

someone just posted recently that they pulled a scent/deodorizer ball out of a vent that was rolling from side to side.

• Haha
Reactions: Modoc Guy
Top of my dash, somewhere under the top trim piece. Something there that slides left/right when I go around curves. My daughter calls it the nickle. I've popped that trim off many times, used a flashlight and mirror, still can't find it.
I had a similar rattle in my dash, finally figured it was the clips that hold the trim piece down. I used some foam insulation and glued a strip to both the bottom of the trim piece and inside the dash to eliminate the gaps causing the rattle.

Reactions: Sam Solo
Every manual TJ I've owned has had a rattley clutch pedal. Just the way they're mounted. I always wanted to find a fix but then I forget about it until I'm on a bumpy road again

Here is my “fix”. Fabbed out of the decorative garage door hardware I removed. This is not putting any undue pressure on the pedal, but just keeping it from rattling.

E8E78076-C2D3-4861-A934-31B5019F55B9.jpeg

CDBD4AC4-CADC-4209-997D-9E34C8AAA5DB.jpeg

Hahaha. Good to read this. I like to film some of my rides using a camera mounted to the windshield. The movies look great, but there is always a rattle that can be heard in the movie that annoys my buds. Lately, I have been adding music to the movies to pacify the crowd. This thread has inspired me to get serious about finding the source (I'm betting on those dash nuts and bolts).

I have a high pitched chirp every time I hit a sharp bump. With pothole season starting it would have driven me nuts.

I finally found it goes away when I pull up on the e-brake handle slightly to put tension on everything. Not enough to engage the brake of course. My temp fix is to fold up a scarf I put in the car for winter and put it on the floor under the handle. That holds the handle up a little while freeing my hands to shift. If the handle works it's way down and the chirp starts up, the scarf covers part of the opening and muffles the chirp enough the radio drowns most of it out.

I need to find the time to take the center console out and see what's going on, but the temp fix works for now.

I replaced the front sway bar bushings a couple years ago with some from Moog. They are blue and I don't think they are 100% rubber. Most of the year they are perfectly fine. When it's colder than the lower 50's they squeak every time I go over the speed bumps at work. It took me a few days to narrow it down, but the day I disconnected the sway bar, I had no squeaks. I reconnected and turned around and drove back over them and it squeaked again. I guess I didn't get enough grease on them when I installed them.

I bought a Jeep from someone once that had all kinds of rattles I couldn't figure out. While doing a restoration on it, which had no carpet or drain plugs installed, I discovered all of this had fallen into the front floor drain holes and was trapped in the channels below. I cleaned it out and the rattle problem was solved!

zUTwMyz.jpg

Add Clutch Fan to the list. That was my under the hood chirp I battled for years.
X2

Chasing a long time chirpy belt type sound, and after replacing what seemed like everything possible with the help of @JeepZilla380 we narrowed it down to the fan clutch. I had not suspected it previously because I had just replaced mine during my engine swap with a brand new Hayden. Turns out it was faulty from the start and was the source of my chirp the whole time.

Reactions: JeepZilla380
I had a rattle in my side door also. Pulled the panel and discovered the fabric sheath that the door lock wire runs through was disintegrated. I put wire loom over it and it helped for a while, but now rattling again from time to time.

I bought a Jeep from someone once that had all kinds of rattles I couldn't figure out. While doing a restoration on it, which had no carpet or drain plugs installed, I discovered all of this had fallen into the front floor drain holes and was trapped in the channels below. I cleaned it out and the rattle problem was solved!

View attachment 134741
I see some karma dollars for your troubles right there... 👀

I have found two relatively easy noise fixes...

The first one was the hardtop latches that rattle even when they are snapped, the solution: added some felt pads on the inner latch, this can also be done with rubber sheet.

The other is rattling of the metal door latches, I removed the door latches and found the two springs that hold the metal latch in position and keep the locking rod in place were broken, the solution: I ordered new door latches to be received and installed next week.

I recently had a rattle while driving that slowly made me go insane trying to locate the source. Sounded like it was coming from the drivers side corner of the dash/vent area.. or possibly door mirror. Popping, creaking. Yesterday I come up to a red light and leaned over to grab my water bottle behind the passenger seat and heard my seat make the noise I was hearing. Sometimes it's amazing how sound travels, especially while driving and throws you completely off to where it is coming from.

X2

Chasing a long time chirpy belt type sound, and after replacing what seemed like everything possible with the help of @JeepZilla380 we narrowed it down to the fan clutch. I had not suspected it previously because I had just replaced mine during my engine swap with a brand new Hayden. Turns out it was faulty from the start and was the source of my chirp the whole time.
Thanks for collaborating with me to find a fix, and glad that solved your mystery chirp too!

Reactions: EJD
Was on a wheeling trip in Colorado and developed a squeak that almost sounded rotational but was still too inconsistent.

Couldn’t figure it out.

About a month later with me under the Jeep on a creeper with someone else shaking it we recreated the squeak. It was the shifter mechanism.

Temporarily hosed it in fluid film which eliminated the squeak.

Permanently replaced it with Savvy’s cable shifter.

Reactions: AndyG