Things I learned on the latest SW Colorado trip

Phil Younger

1Outlaw
Lifetime Supporting Member
THINGS I LEARNED ON THE LAST SW COLORADO TRIP (July 2016)

1) I need a lift kit of 2-4”. With 3 guys, full backpacking gear, Jeep tools, etc. which totaled likely near 950# the tires rubbed the rear flares on big interstate bumps and several trail bumps—not so much though where vehicle had to flex over rocks. We actually had 4 in the Jeep for trails but no gear-only tools since we put our backpacking gear in a friend’s truck at the trailhead.

2) The new air compressor and deflators worked well and trail ride was much improved.

3) The Aussie locker worked great and got me thru tough spots with no trouble where last year was a problem. Only drawback—I ran in 2 high instead of 4 low more than I should have to avoid drivetrain stress by having the front axle locked when traction was not needed. (See #6 below)

4) Hanging the high lift jack on the rear bumper was a good place (I made my own mounts) but accentuated the issue with needing a lift.

5) I should put in a second battery in the front and ditch the emergency battery/light due to weight and space in the back.

6) Got a transmission overheat code just like last year resulting in rough 1-2 shift. Though trans oil looked and smelled great—I put in a trans cooler after the trip.

7) After putting in the trans cooler i got another trans overheat code and started reading up on this—not liking what I am seeing. It sounds like the ’06 PCM is likely going bad. AAARRRGGG. Still glad to have the cooler anyway.

8) GoPro camera mount worked great BUT- to really show what you are seeing someone either needs to take pictures out the side or re-aim the camera at times..

9) Do NOT continue east of Stoney Pass—turn around and go back to Silverton until you are a glutton for punishment.

10) Do get out and look in bad spots no matter how tired you are or how late it is. I used every skid plate and rear bumper on a spot I thought MIGHT be ok while driving in the dark. (see #9)
11) Trees fall down on your driveway while you are gone just like when you are home so go Jeepin anyway.

2012-03-11_14-33-10_494.jpg

I guess I really did not say what was on my Jeep prior to the trip- stock suspension, 31" tires on 16" rims, and an Aussie locker--that was it. Last year without the locker I was able to get over Imogene Pass (and I did not air down) but this year the locker and airing down made it a walk in the park. Thanks for your help guys (yes I read threads but usually do not comment)- discussions here led me to decide to air down.

I have a Curry Antirock sway bar that will go on as soon as I lift it. I bought it last winter but did not want to cut the rods down until I settle on how much lift. The Curry bar is shipped for a 4" lift so I assume I will need to shorten them for less lift so that the arms are level.

Since I am going to be set back what I assume to be north of $600 for a new PCM the spring kit and Bilstein shocks are going to have to wait a few months. I also want to get a rust spot fixed before it grows (about $500) before the lift kit- I hate rust so much that my Jeep is parked inside in winter and never hits the road until all salt and calcium chloride is washed off the roads by spring rains.

I guess I really did not say what was on my Jeep prior to the trip- stock suspension, 31" tires on 16" rims, and an Aussie locker--that was it. Last year without the locker I was able to get over Imogene Pass (and I did not air down) but this year the locker and airing down made it a walk in the park. Thanks for your help guys (yes I read threads but usually do not comment)- discussions here led me to decide to air down.

I have a Curry Antirock sway bar that will go on as soon as I lift it. I bought it last winter but did not want to cut the rods down until I settle on how much lift. The Curry bar is shipped for a 4" lift so I assume I will need to shorten them for less lift so that the arms are level.

Since I am going to be set back what I assume to be north of $600 for a new PCM the spring kit and Bilstein shocks are going to have to wait a few months. I also want to get a rust spot fixed before it grows (about $500) before the lift kit- I hate rust so much that my Jeep is parked inside in winter and never hits the road until all salt and calcium chloride is washed off the roads by spring rains.
That salt crap nearly destroyed Stinger. It took me months, with the tub off to get it off/out.

Reactions: Chris
Where did you pick up all your rust from? Didn't think it was too bad here in Oregon.
Remember Chris we just came back home to Oregon. Stinger has spent most of its life in Utah. Plus, I was a full time ski patroller for 8 years driving the heavily salted mountain roads at least 5 days a week. Even though I ran a house under it when I got home I think I just allowed the salt to penetrate deeper with water as a vehicle.

Remember Chris we just came back home to Oregon. Stinger has spent most of its life in Utah. Plus, I was a full time ski patroller for 8 years driving the heavily salted mountain roads at least 5 days a week. Even though I ran a house under it when I got home I think I just allowed the salt to penetrate deeper with water as a vehicle.

Oh yeah, forgot about that! They don't call it salt lake for no reason, huh?

Here they moved away from all NaCl (salt) to CaCl (calcium Chloride) or MgCl. The latter two are effective to much lower temps and are generally in liquid solution. They spray it on the bridges (especially) and shady parts of roads long before a storm hits. This stuff is nasty- I had bags of it in dry form in the past and it turns to sticky liquid in the presence of humidity. It clings to brake calipers and underbody and will not come off without serious scrubbing- even a pressure washer will not get it if not hit at direct angle. We are seeing very accelerated corrosion on vehicles. The only one I have that is not bad (besides the parked Jeep) is a 2006 Impala with an all aluminum underbody and plastic skin- it has 260,000 miles on it and was not washed all that much. My 2012 Avalanche with 100,000 miles (work truck) already has had one panel cut out and replaced due to this crap. The underbody and frame looks horrid. So do the chrome front rims.