Things you LIKE about TJs

lovemachine

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So there is a thread about "Things you dislike on TJ's".

How about a thread about what you like about TJ's compared to other vehicles?

Let's face it, our TJ's are old, high mileage vehicles. Maybe even outdated.

What do you like about them compared to the newer vehicles?
What makes you want to keep driving them, and keep dumping money into it?

Simple to work on, simple to add stuff to, simple to modify, simple to turn into a trail beast.

I didn't realize just how simple and easy my TJ is to work on until after I worked on a friend's JK all weekend and more recently after I bought my BMW. My BMW (which often leaves my arms bloodied from tight access) makes working on my TJ like working on an old Model T by comparison.

Last edited:
I love how the TJs (and older) look... I love being able to go topless, doorless, carpetless, even windshieldless! I love how simple they are... everything you need, no more and no less... I love the freedom they offer, and they look SO GOOD dirty!

The doors just pop off. You know how long it took me to make the doors come off my Cherokee? And then it still took twenty minutes to pull them off, since it was power everything.

Reactions: StG58
I like the Jeep community. The Tribe, as someone called it. I bought my TJ because it didn't make sense. It flew in the face of everything I'd been told to stay away from. I'm almost 50 and wanted a Jeep since my first stomach turning adventure riding in the back seat of a new CJ 7 with the top off going up a mountain. I was terrified. I cried. Growing up, my dad always told me they couldn't be insured so I shouldn't buy one. They flip over no matter how slow or straight you drive. They're noisy, dirty and down right impractical. What they never told me was what it was like driving through the country with the top off, radio blasting and the wind on my face. I'll be happy when I own about 6. I still scan all the trader apps to find my next one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the Jeep community. The Tribe, as someone called it. I bought my TJ because it didn't make sense. It flew in the face of everything I'd been told to stay away from. I'm almost 50 and wanted a Jeep since my first stomach turning adventure riding in the back seat of a new CJ 7 with the top off going up a mountain. I was terrified. I cried. Growing up, my dad always told me they couldn't be insured so I shouldn't buy one. They flip over no matter how slow or straight you drive. They're noisy, dirty and down right impractical. What they never told me was what it was like driving through the country with the top off, radio blasting and the wind on my face. I'll be happy when I own about 6. I still scan all the trader apps to find my next one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love it!

Reactions: 94c2500
Simple to work on, simple to add stuff to, simple to modify, simple to turn into a trail beast.

I didn't realize just how simple and easy my TJ is to work on until after I worked on a friend's JK all weekend and more recently after I bought my BMW. My BMW (which often leaves my arms bloodied from tight access) makes working on my TJ like working on an old Model T by comparison.

Truth. I found out that everything has been easy to work on, so far. And I didn't know how to change the oil in a vehicle before I bought my jeep.

I like their unobstructed 360' line of sight. And with the top down, other than motorcycles, there are very, very few vehicles with better visibility. I also like that the windshield is flat - some of those long curved windshields feel like they skew and distort visibility.
Amazingly (and stupidly IMHO), Consumer Reports puts the Jeep Wrangler in their category of "Cars with Worst Visibility". I could not disagree more with Consumer Reports on this.

Ease of parking. Partially due to the shorter wheelbase, partially due to being one of the few vehicles IMO that I can actually SEE (not guess) where the rear of my vehicle is, and partially due to the decent turning radius. I can parallel park more easily in places the majority of minivans, trucks and cars cannot. (Honda Fit type cars park even easier).
Deep winter snow parking also means more parking options for the TJ :)

The feeling of safety I have that I'm still going to be able to get home no matter how bad the storm (winter) is.

Bolt on/bolt off components. The Jeep TJ is so easy to modify. Want a new bumper? It's as simple as 6 bolts. My friend's car requires you to remove the front wheel to change the friggen battery!

Easy oil changes. Easy and simple access to the oil filter, and easy to get underneath the Jeep with the wheels on the ground.

Off-road capabilities, endless modification options, Jeep wave and culture (such as this Jeep forum), and a timeless, ruggedly sexy look. (Many vehicle styles do not age well IMO, although some age even better - classic muscle cars).