Thinking about getting an awning

Randun

TJ Enthusiast
I'm thinking about getting an awning. Do any of you have one on your rigs? If so, what are the pros and cons of having an awning that is mounted to your vehicle at all times?

Thank you all so much for your time and your help!

An awning? Like on the side of an RV? Why not just carry a collapsible tent?

Most of them are not strong enough to hold up to any strong wind plus they pool and leak in rain. You have to pack it away every time you want to drive . they are fixed to the vehicle.

They are a good shade source to use while setting up/ packing down camp.

1 x tarp 2 x tent poles 1 x cross pole 3 x guy ropes and a bag of zip ties, Try before you buy :)

Reactions: Randun
My wife has one on the left side of here mini compact Hyundai lol

tuff awning lol.jpg

An awning? Like on the side of an RV? Why not just carry a collapsible tent?
Yes an awning. Like on the side of an RV, on the side of a jeep, on the side of a truck, etc.

Why would it benefit me to carry a collapsible tent instead of an awning? An awning is typically used for shade purposes. I don't know how a collapsible tent would help with this need?

I have friends with permanently mounted awnings on their rigs (none are TJ's or LJ's).

What have I learned from listening to their experiences?

1. Don't cheap out.

2. High winds can be a problem without additional guy straps.

3. Sometimes the awning is on the opposite side of the vehicle you wish it was on that particular day because parking the other direction isn't feasible.

4. Smittybilt is cheaping out; ARB isn't.

5. Don't cheap out.

I have friends with permanently mounted awnings on their rigs (none are TJ's or LJ's).

1. Don't cheap out.

3. Sometimes the awning is on the opposite side of the vehicle you wish it was on that particular day because parking the other direction isn't feasible.

5. Don't cheap out.

So how about that $120 eBay one in the video above? :ROFLMAO:

Yes an awning. Like on the side of an RV, on the side of a jeep, on the side of a truck, etc.

Why would it benefit me to carry a collapsible tent instead of an awning? An awning is typically used for shade purposes. I don't know how a collapsible tent would help with this need?
Problem is you cant just keep moving vehicle around to catch the shade! its fine at 12 oclock when sun is directly above you or sun going down behind you, all over times the shade is out front or out to either side of the awning so anything you leave under the awning gets roasted.

Most of them are not strong enough to hold up to any strong wind plus they pool and leak in rain. You have to pack it away every time you want to drive . they are fixed to the vehicle.

They are a good shade source to use while setting up/ packing down camp.

1 x tarp 2 x tent poles 1 x cross pole 3 x guy ropes and a bag of zip ties, Try before you buy :)
Thank you so much for your time and your help. I really appreciate it.

Do you feel that a tarp would hold up to stong winds better? Also, do you feel a tarp would not pool up? Thank you for your opinions.

Problem is you cant just keep moving vehicle around to catch the shade! its fine at 12 oclock when sun is directly above you or sun going down behind you, all over times the shade is out front or out to either side of the awning so anything you leave under the awning gets roasted.

That's why I liked the idea of an EZ-up tent like @Mr. Bills posted. It seems like a more practical solution to me personally.

I have seen a product called a "shade wall" that takes care of this very issue. Neat idea I thought.

I use a tarp - specifically a Noah's Tarp. I have two, 9' and 12'. I decided that the 12' version is more versatile.

With two collapsible poles, rope and some tent pegs I can create many different types of shelter within minutes. Often, I run a rope from tree to tree or tie off one corner on the jeep and stake the opposite corner in the ground - no poles at all

71KHaATfxzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

As far as EZ-Ups are concerned, I find mine too bulky to use with a jeep. Its stowed away in the motorhome.

1. Don't cheap out.

5. Don't cheap out.
Thank you so much for your opinions! I really appreciate your time and your help!