Thinking about lowering my TJ Rubicon

rraulston

TJ Enthusiast
Well I have a 4.5" Rubicon Express lift and its a bit high for what I want. I was thinking about a set of 3" springs from Terraflex. I just need a little more driveability on the highway to get to the wheeling spots I want to visit. The way it is now, I wouldn't drive it 600 miles to hit Moab....too tall and a lot to handle. just wanted opinions before I decide....thanks

Nothing wrong with your plan. Just know that 3" isn't really enough for 33's unless you want to limit uptravel.

For 33s, you really want 4" of lift, so if you lower it, like Rob said, you'll lose up travel, which isn't good if you plan on off-roading it.

I'm all for good drive ability .

Mine sits at 4" with 33" and drives really smooth, take a look at your tire pressure and control arm bushings.

It's easy to check control arms ..put it in 4 wheel low and park it , grab a tire and rock it back and forth , and pay attention where they mount.

You can have a TJ lifted 4" that can drive near stock if it's done well. It took adjustable track bars front and rear to get mine there , but my point is it can be done .

Reactions: KCsTJ
I am in the process of doing the same, for the exact reasons you mention. I have driven mine all over the country with a 4" lift and 33s, but it's just not great on the highway. I have had a previous TJ at 2", 3" and 4". Something about that last inch of lift finally just seems to push the geometry of a short arm suspension just a bit too far. When I lowered my previous 4" lifted Jeep back down to 3", the difference was pronounced. So I am doing that again with my current Jeep. Springs don't change up travel as much as bump stops do. Typically, you should be on the bumpstop before your spring is fully compressed, regardless of it being a 3" or 4" spring. If, for some reason, you do find the tires getting into the fenders, add a little more bumpstop. The effect off road will be minimal. I *might* do a body lift / raised t-case someday to get the clearance back under the belly that I will lose, but that is down the road, as it brings its own set of headaches. I enjoy the road trip every bit as much as the wheeling. And I don't like trailering. Fine for those who do, but that is just a different kind of Jeeping to me. So, getting my Jeep to travel well is every bit as important as it's offroad abilities. It's all about finding the balance that suits you.

-T. (just another view)

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Yup! That’s exactly where I’m at. I enjoy the travel as well as the offroad. After some research I see there are 3” and 3.5” springs. I’m at 4.5 now. Tough decision....

Yup! That’s exactly where I’m at. I enjoy the travel as well as the offroad. After some research I see there are 3” and 3.5” springs. I’m at 4.5 now. Tough decision....

I can't speak to the 3.5's, but I ran the Teraflex 3" springs for a lot of years and was very happy with them. I put a lot of miles and trails on them, and never had issues with them sagging and I was happy with the ride quality.

just wanted opinions before I decide....thanks
100% !! I agree, did that. TJR, HighLine plus 2" lift. I run lots of highway. lots of mountain forestry road. lots of accessing the beach or....

I'm now back to 33s on a fully stock TJR suspension. Absolutely love it. Factory parts, factory handling, no more "well I changed this and now that is breaking so I better change that too which puts stress onto .... And handling?? A stock TJ is incredible. A stock TJR with lockers even more so.

Honestly my AEV HighLine was $1999.00 plus a weelend install plus $800.00 for the body shop to do a professional paint job. Guys will say thats a lot of $$$$$ and then spend $400.00 on..... ?????

Stock, with body mods is the smart choice. I still want the Tera Flex Sway Bar... I might do a 2" motor mount lift plus a flat belly, but I'll never lift another Wrangler.

Reactions: -T.
Done! Finished it yesterday. Drove about 75 miles today and am ecstatic!! It drives and steers awesome. Absolutely amazing how much better it drives! Here is some more info if interested.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...-3-did-my-toe-change.17109/page-2#post-279167

From this:

TJ.jpg

to this:

rr4.jpg

And a half and half:

rr3.jpg

Reactions: billiebob
Jeep looks great . 3inches you love beats 4+you hate. Nice job.

Great news! I'm glad it has worked out. I'm still in the middle of a bunch of cleaning, scrubbing and respraying the bottom of mine, so all of the new 3" springs are not yet installed. Fronts are in, but right now the rear axle is only attached the Jeep by the brake lines and driveshaft! haha.. It will be back on the road by Spring. Hoping to head to EJS again in '19. Or maybe another Rubicon trip?? Fingers crossed!