Thinking about my first winch

nathanotis

TJ Enthusiast
I've been reading and comparing, researching and learning. I'm considering Warn and Superwinch.

Warn has the M8... and I'm trying to determine what series of Superwinch competes most directly with Warn's M8? Would it maybe be the 9.5 Tigershark or Talon series?

I have also read that there has been a change in ownership at Superwinch and their service may be faltering. Any truth or accuracy to that?

Thanks in advance.
n.

I have no experience with Superwinch, but if you’re comparing Warn versus Superwinch, I wouldn’t questionably go with Warn just given their name, warranty, and reputation.

Superwinch went TU a couple years ago and the intellectual property and some inventory was acquired by Westin. Last fall when I talked to them they were not offering any parts for any of the older winch models. Bummer too as I have a couple friends that I was trying to help fix some minor things and now they have expensive paperweights.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Superwinch went TU a couple years ago and the intellectual property and some inventory was acquired by Westin. Last fall when I talked to them they were not offering any parts for any of the older winch models. Bummer too as I have a couple friends that I was trying to help fix some minor things and now they have expensive paperweights.
That sucks, but nice to know.

Lockers avoid most of the need for a winch in my opinion, but still a necessary item.

Reactions: D M
Lockers avoid most of the need for a winch in my opinion, but still a necessary item.
I passed on getting a winch in the past because every time I saw one used, it seemed like a big dog and pony show where the desired result could have been achieved with a strap... These days I feel it's a thing that's better to have and not need.

I've had a Superwinch EPI9.0 for going on ten years now. I'm on my third winch line and the winch has been 100% trouble free. That said, parts are no longer available, so when it finally goes, it will be replaced by a Warn.

Reactions: JMT and Apparition
I found a XD9000i on CL last weekend for 300 bucks. Other than some missing paint it looks almost new
20210525_095758.jpg

I didn't know Superwinch had gone TU, that's too bad as they were one of the better brands when they were still being made in the US. Last I looked all their winches were being made in China except for two, I suspect they simply could no longer compete with all the Chinese winches being sold now.

Older and some newer Warn winches, Ramsey, and Mile Marker are made in the US.

I kept money handy and searched for used. 12,000 lb winches came up a lot, but I felt they were too big. I found a used Warn 9000i and lightened it with synthetic.

I've got an lp8500 thats been on the front for a number of years now. Slow as molasses but it has worked every time. If you can find a used superwinch (if you're still looking) I'd jump on it. Around these parts, used warns are still bringing in big bucks.

I just bought a winch today. Not proud of my Harbour Freight special but after reading all the threads about reasons why to have a winch. I had to go get one. By the end of this month I will be in Colorado and probably running trails alone. I just don’t want to tie up so much cash in a winch.

Good Luck with your decision.