Thinking about selling my Harley Davidson

Tscott

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Bought a TJ a month ago and have been thinking about selling the motorcycle. I rode it for the first time yesterday since buying the Jeep. Was a nervous wreck every time I thought an approaching car might turn left in front of me.

Wife says to keep it. She said I regret it every time I sell a Jeep or motorcycle. I enjoy driving the Jeep as much or more than riding the bike.

id love a bike but i feel like there are too many people on the road with electronics in their hands distracting them from whats going on.

i feel the same way when towing some weight behind me, people dont understand how long it takes to stop and i get cut off alot.

people are too rushed anymore, id off the bike and enjoy the freedom of a topless jeep you can take anywhere. locally there has been alot of motorcycle accidents lately from deer, intoxication to people pulling out in front of bikes claiming they didnt see them coming.

this one comes to mind that happened in 2017, really sad. motorcyclist dies after hitting deer then ran over by another vehicle. im not saying cars are safer but id feel better in a cage with more metal rather than sitting on a bike.

Last edited:
I sold my motorcycle(s) once I got the Wrangler. It's the only vehicle I've ever driven that comes close to the experience of riding a motorcycle.

Not to mention there are far to many distracted drivers on the road these days for me to want to worry about when riding.

I love riding and want a Ducati Monster, but owning a bike isn't in the cards for me anymore. I'm too old to safely do my best Mick Doohan impression, and we can't legally lane split in Oregon.

I miss riding, but I have to remind myself every time I look at getting back into it, I see how many distracted drivers are out there. No thanks.

I have been riding motorcycles since 1983 and owned only Jeeps since 1989.
Best of both worlds. However, being older and increased traffic with predominantly terrible drivers causes me to be extremely careful and defensive on the bike.

I dumped my last Harley over 10 years ago & never looked back.

this one comes to mind that happened in 2017, really sad. motorcyclist dies after hitting deer then ran over by another vehicle. im not saying cars are safer but id feel better in a cage with more metal rather than sitting on a bike.

this story above was exactly why, I witnessed an horrific accident caused by a deer jumping out of a bush; up until that day I actually believed I could anticipate all perils on my bike (mostly idiots turning left in front of me) & operate it accordingly however one thing that is out of every rider's control is mother nature, whether it's wildlife causing someone to overreact resulting in an accident, a tree branch laying in the road right around the next bend or otherwise... you just can't anticipate everything & when you're on a bike with zero protection that spells organ donor far more often than being in a car/truck/jeep. Everyone's risk tolerance falls somewhere different on the scale, for me two wheels just rolled right off the chart

I have been hit twice by a car on a bike (not the same car) but it seems nobody wants to run into me while driving a Jeep.

The only harley's I see anymore are sitting on the side of the road or are on back of the trailer...actually i see a lot of jeeps that way too, now that I mention it...

• Haha
Reactions: gosborne
I sold my motorcycle(s) once I got the Wrangler. It's the only vehicle I've ever driven that comes close to the experience of riding a motorcycle.

Not to mention there are far to many distracted drivers on the road these days for me to want to worry about when riding.

My wife and I both stopped riding when we had kids about 8 years back. Since I bought the TJ last year (and joined this forum) she has COMPLETELY taken the Jeep over in the summer when I take the top and doors off. She says it reminds her of riding her GX750, so I get about zero Jeep time in the summer. She leaves a Lexus with all the bells & whistles in the driveway and hops in a 20 year old Wrangler to go run her errands every day.

Reactions: Chris
My wife and I both stopped riding when we had kids about 8 years back. Since I bought the TJ last year (and joined this forum) she has COMPLETELY taken the Jeep over in the summer when I take the top and doors off. She says it reminds her of riding her GX750, so I get about zero Jeep time in the summer.
Time to buy another...

Yeah, I sold a bunch of bikes when I got the TJ too... and now I'm down to only four (HD Street Glide Special, Aprilia RSV4, KTM300 and Suzuki DR650/790... and a Honda Rincon ATV... and a saltwater fishing boat... and a duckhunting boat... and... wait, where was I going with this??!

Oh yeah, now I remember: what are you thinking, you don't sell toys, you just acquire more!! :cool:

I had a co-worker tempt me badly last summer with a Suzuki DR-Z400 that he offered at a heavy discount. It pained me to say no.

I rode for about 6 years before hanging it up when my uncle was killed riding his harley. That was 2007. 12 years later everyone is on their damn phones, and I cannot imagine ever feeling comfortable on a motorcycle knowing nobody is paying attention.

I would love to own a Harley or BMW gs some day but I would never commute it.

I wouldn’t make that decision after only 1 month, never mind the wife is telling/allowing you to keep it, I would hang onto the bike for now just to make sure you won’t miss it. I recently purchased my first TJ but I’ve owned bikes since I got out of high school back in the late 80’s, the wife and I love riding in/on both. I find the TJ and the Harley serve us in 2 different ways but neither are my daily driver, if I didn’t have a company vehicle I would be on the motorcycle every chance I could.
I will admit I avoid the highway and the city’s but I’m fortunate where I live in Massachusetts I have plenty of back roads with little traffic and our none of our back roads are straight which keeps the speed down and makes it feel safer.

I had a co-worker tempt me badly last summer with a Suzuki DR-Z400 that he offered at a heavy discount. It pained me to say no.
I could see something like this or a KLR 650 to ride dirt roads only. There is a dirt road route that covers all of Michigan north to south, but I would still be nervous.

Reactions: zebra12
I have gone back and forth on selling mine for the reasons mentioned--to many distracted drivers. They really take the enjoyment out of riding. I've listed it multiple times but only get nibbles. My wife says to hang on to it. Every now and then I debate trading it in on a truck. We'll see..

As for your situation--one month is too soon. See where your head is at after a year I say.