Thinking of getting a XJ or ZJ for the winter season

Found pictures of my '90 Cherokee... it was a 4.0/AX-15 pioneer package, unsure of lift, but it cleared 31's

cherokee.jpg

Well the search is still on, had a few ZJs in Colorado and a nice looking XJ near me slip through my fingers, but I just had a interesting development last week and today.

Took the dog on a walk around the neighborhood last week and there is a family of Jeep addicts around the corner (my kind of people lol). They came out to say hello and asked me how my LJ was doing, and we got on the topic of my XJ/ZJ search and it turns out they have a 1996 2 door teal manual Cherokee for sale for $2000 or $3000. Not a fan of the color, but I'm pretty tempted. He didn't have it at the house so I told him to get some pictures of it sometime.

Then today I get some info that might throw a wrench in my plan. I used to have a 4 door 2011 JK Rubicon that I traded in back in 2017. It was a good vehicle, but the engine left a lot to be desired. Well my dad's friend bought it in 2017 from the dealer for his daughter and she ended up blowing the engine after like a year.😑 Fast forward to today my dad gives me the heads up that his friend got the engine replaced, its been a good runner and its for sale. Not sure of the price but it is tempting as well, depending on the shape.

Reactions: Squatch
Well the search is still on, had a few ZJs in Colorado and a nice looking XJ near me slip through my fingers, but I just had a interesting development last week and today.

Took the dog on a walk around the neighborhood last week and there is a family of Jeep addicts around the corner (my kind of people lol). They came out to say hello and asked me how my LJ was doing, and we got on the topic of my XJ/ZJ search and it turns out they have a 1996 2 door teal manual Cherokee for sale for $2000 or $3000. Not a fan of the color, but I'm pretty tempted. He didn't have it at the house so I told him to get some pictures of it sometime.

Then today I get some info that might throw a wrench in my plan. I used to have a 4 door 2011 JK Rubicon that I traded in back in 2017. It was a good vehicle, but the engine left a lot to be desired. Well my dad's friend bought it in 2017 from the dealer for his daughter and she ended up blowing the engine after like a year.😑 Fast forward to today my dad gives me the heads up that his friend got the engine replaced, its been a good runner and its for sale. Not sure of the price but it is tempting as well, depending on the shape.
XJ assuming it’s not in horrible condition, if his daughter blew up the engine god knows what else that Jeep has seen. I’ll take the AMC I6 over the pen-star any day. Not to mention you will become “one of them”

I would still be more inclined to look at the XJ. At the very least, get a look at the XJ first, before looking at the JK. You're already familiar with that one, to some degree. Just my opinion, of course.

Reactions: THEREALJIM
XJ assuming it’s not in horrible condition, if his daughter blew up the engine god knows what else that Jeep has seen. I’ll take the AMC I6 over the pen-star any day. Not to mention you will become “one of them”
The neighbor said the XJ was in "good" shape for the area, so my guess is there is rust lol Yeah if I go the JK route it will have to be for a steal. I'm not the biggest JK fan even after owning one lol

I would still be more inclined to look at the XJ. At the very least, get a look at the XJ first, before looking at the JK. You're already familiar with that one, to some degree. Just my opinion, of course.
I totally agree, leaning more towards the XJ/ZJ route. Going to try to talk to the neighbor when I get back from my work trip. I know when I owned the JK it was babied and well taken care of, but I have no idea how the current owner has been treating it😬 I'll probably end up sticking to my original idea

Reactions: Squatch
I’m the original owner of a 93 XJ sport... had it rust checked every year. It’s def my winter go to. Drives excellent and easy to maintain. I run it with Duratracs year round.

Won't a 2011 have the garbage 3.8L anyway? Even more reason to go with the XJ.

Reactions: THEREALJIM
Won't a 2011 have the garbage 3.8L anyway? Even more reason to go with the XJ.

Yeah the more I think about it the more I'm turned off by it, maybe they swapped it to a Hemi or LS!!(Doubtful) lol It would be cool to say I got my old Jeep back, but I'd rather it be my first one and my first vehicle, 99 Sport, rather than my third Jeep that I have mediocre feelings for 😕.

Think I'm sticking to my original plan, got a clean looking 1998 ZJ a few states away I may have to check out sometime after my work trip.

Screenshot_20201104-180236_Chrome.jpg

Yeah the more I think about it the more I'm turned off by it, maybe they swapped it to a Hemi or LS!!(Doubtful) lol It would be cool to say I got my old Jeep back, but I'd rather it be my first one and my first vehicle, 99 Sport, rather than my third Jeep that I have mediocre feelings for 😕.

Think I'm sticking to my original plan, got a clean looking 1998 ZJ a few states away I may have to check out sometime after my work trip.

View attachment 201020
Zj is good, Xj is better JK is just that, a joke. 😁

Zj is good, Xj is better JK is just that, a joke. 😁
Agree on this one... I still have my original XJ and have owned and got rid of my ZJ a few years ago (it was an 03)... it was ok in the winter but that engine was a pain compared to the 4.0

Slightly off topic, but when I was looking to get my first Jeep what I really wanted was a 4door XJ, (4.0 5spd) couldn’t find one down here that was Stick (a must) for under 10K. My budget was 1/2 that. Ironically I wound up with the TJ, little bit more of a pain to daily but the wheelbase off-road/ turning circle sold me.

while I love my TJ if someone offloaded to trade me for a 4.0 5spd XJ in good condition. I would probably take them up on it.

They don't even list the price... they say they put $50k of parts into it, did they replace everything except the body?

The ad says ... "BEING BUILT / $89,000" & "This "Pearl LS" XJ has nearly $30k more in parts and hundreds more labor hours which should put the price well over $90k." .......... YIKES!!!

It estimates an August completion date. No doubt it's been sold by now . ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Starrs