Thinking of moving to Texas

This is on my radar for a retirement state.

Mine as well or sooner if I can find a good job making what I make now in the Information Technology Field as a Network/System Engineer!!! You would think with over 25 years experience I'd find something fairly easy but it's been like searching for a needle in a hay stack.

• Sad
Reactions: Long Rider
Check prices in Prescott, Flagstaff, Payson. There are a lot of places in AZ that have VERY nice weather. Texas is too humid.

I live in Cypress, far Northwest Houston. There are +/- to anywhere in the state. Some aren't aware so if you already know then ignore. Property taxes vary from area to area depending on school district, MUD(municipal utility district), and some times subdivision HOA fi you choose to live in a subdivision. The MUD and HOA(home owners association) are usually only associated with subdivisions. While the HOA fees are not a tax they could change the yearly cost of living in the subdivision. MUD taxes are usually if your property will not have it's own well and/or septic system. Some areas can be a stones throw from one another and have a $1-$2 per thousand difference in taxes per year. If you venture this close to Houston I can answer more questions if needed. Anywhere in Texas will we great. Good luck! MOE

Central Texas. Bulverde, Bandera, Hill Country, generally north west 20-30 miles from San Antonio and Austin area.

Puts you in some of the prettiest country in Texas. Puts you pretty central in the state. No State income tax, fair sales tax that doesnt apply to food (grocery though shampoo is for example). Property taxes vary widely by area, but a look at the appraisal district website for the county you are looking in will give you an idea of total cost (school tax generally being the highest in many places).

Had a place in Houston for a few years. You need a great food truck at 3am? you can find it there.

Gas prices are generally lower, yes there are toll roads (which I love to bypass traffic when travelling through a metroplex. Toll 130 is posted at 85mph for a fair portion of it until it drops to 80MPH) as do several portions of I-10 to the west.

Now as to why, around here we measure travel by time and not mileage ;) I have friends that visit from Wyoming, they were going to drive down to see me. I told them that when they hit the Texas Border, that they were about halfway here.

Down side is that most land is privately owned, however there are thousands of miles in west Texas you can explore. I bought 5 acres on the Terlingua Ranch (adjoins to big bend national park). Cost for my five acres????? Inclusive??? $500.00 . Property taxes? 30 bucks a year. I dont have anything on the dirt I own, however it gives me access to all the VERY LOOSELY defined roads on the ranch 100s of miles of exploration of high desert.

How bad is the Illegal Immigration issue and drug cartel issues in Texas?

Depends on where you are. As others have said 50 miles from the border and you can follow the entire border on the north or south side for issues. Inland from there, no more issues than anywhere else.

That said, FM 170 the "river road" is one of the most beautiful drives you can have on a border. There are hundreds of writeups on that road. While I am prepared for just about anything (medical and violence) folks passing me wouldnt likely know it (aside from being fit) and i have never experienced a problem even when remote camping on the border.

Coyotes, Cartels, and IA's are generally in the business of making money and not bothering the little guy at the border (usually). Its bad business to make waves on the US side with folks that arent part of your business.

In reality Ive have more issues with panhandlers in Houston than anyone on the border (and those are still minor)

Im not saying not to prepare (and be equipped), but issues are rare unless you are part of the business or thwarting the business ( my profile when WORKING border operations is very different than when enjoying the region).

If you are in the region, taking Pinto Canyon Road (2180) out of Marfa South to FM170 (the river road) is well worth doing. Stop off at the Terlingua General store ( a little past the submarine at "passing Wind") and have a beer on the porch before exploring Big Bend National Park. All of this is a long way from anywhere, and thats what makes it worth doing ;)

Rained here in Austin last night for the first time in 2 months.

Too lazy to read the last 8 pages, but yes — we have property taxes — and no state income tax. State sales tax is 6% — in the city it can get tacked on up to 8%.

It all evens out — overall tax burden here is just below the national average (we rank somewhere in the low 30s).

It's an issue nationwide close to the border. Not an issue as far as safety goes unless you're within an hour or so from the border.
Yea, in my 20ish years in San Antonio, I never really saw any issue from anything related to drug cartels or violence stemming from immigration.

As for illegal immigration, I don't know that it was really much of a problem, but there's definitely a large hispanic population. However, I always liked that about S.A. Most people I met who moved there from Mexico were really friendly people and the Tex Mex food in that area is amazing. I mean, the biggest threat I can see anyone arguing about from this is just the risk of obesity since it's all the delicious stuff made with refried beans, not that healthy California-style crap.

There's definitely problems in Mexico though. One of my former bosses had a father who was a big shot in an important company in Mexico and the family had to deal with him being kidnapped for ransom, which is unfortunately pretty common there. I mean, there is some genuinely horrific stuff that happens south of the border, but the people behind that stuff tend to keep it there because they can control those areas in ways that they have never been able to control in the U.S.

Basically, the only risk you have with this kind of stuff is encountered if you decide to actually cross the border (unless this has changed in the last 5-ish years since I moved away). Also, your mileage may vary if you look at places closer to the border, like Laredo. I can't speak to that either.

Reactions: Chapman4266
Depends on where you are. As others have said 50 miles from the border and you can follow the entire border on the north or south side for issues. Inland from there, no more issues than anywhere else.

That said, FM 170 the "river road" is one of the most beautiful drives you can have on a border. There are hundreds of writeups on that road. While I am prepared for just about anything (medical and violence) folks passing me wouldnt likely know it (aside from being fit) and i have never experienced a problem even when remote camping on the border.

Coyotes, Cartels, and IA's are generally in the business of making money and not bothering the little guy at the border (usually). Its bad business to make waves on the US side with folks that arent part of your business.

In reality Ive have more issues with panhandlers in Houston than anyone on the border (and those are still minor)

Im not saying not to prepare (and be equipped), but issues are rare unless you are part of the business or thwarting the business ( my profile when WORKING border operations is very different than when enjoying the region).

If you are in the region, taking Pinto Canyon Road (2180) out of Marfa South to FM170 (the river road) is well worth doing. Stop off at the Terlingua General store ( a little past the submarine at "passing Wind") and have a beer on the porch before exploring Big Bend National Park. All of this is a long way from anywhere, and thats what makes it worth doing ;)

Sounds like a beautiful area. I hope to see it one day. Although no matter where I go I always go to states that reciprocate my CCW and never go anywhere with my pistol. You can never be too careful! Good luck!

San Antonio is decent but housing prices are crazy right now. I sold a 1400 sq ft house I bought in 2009 for $150k and houses in the hood are now going for >$200k. The house my wife and I live in was $250k and is now valued about $305k. This happened to Austin a few years ago and I am surprised it happened here — basically you have to have a huge chunk of cash if you want to own. The city is getting gentrified like crazy and lofts are going up downtown. Suburbia is expanding further outside the city and that is where the cheaper homes are.

Overall general livability is good here in SA. The weather is miserably hot/humid a few months out of the year but the winters are mild. The hill country is pretty but pray you aren't allergic to cedar or oak pollen. Tons of good restaurants and things to do here. Lots of parks/rivers/lakes for outdoors stuff. Lots of jobs, good health care and all of the necessities.

Good point on the allergies. Anyone moving here, don't underestimate it. I was never allergic to anything until I lived here and the cedar hits me hard every year. Flonase and whatever allergy pills come in the green bottle is your friend.

Either the oak or the cedar hits everyone I know, some both.

Reactions: Jack72
Ok, the allergy thing is true. If you go to the coast, humidity will be a mite higher but always a coastal breeze ( sometimes pretty strong aka Harvey ;) Can drive on the beaches, can drive 60+ miles on padre island national seashore.

But if I was to do it again Bulverde / hill country is where I should have set my cap 19 years ago ( Uncle Sam owned my cap before then )