Third Brake Light: Mounting in Center of Spare

cjaama

TJ Enthusiast
I’m sure a lot of people have mounted their third brake light in the center of their spare.

I bought this product from Rock Hard 4x4:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/...Oo8SXP3nnn0_e8YNT1vZtXlWsccQicRIaAitBEALw_wcB

Everything is straight forward aside from how to mount the light. It has holes through the back and comes with self-tapping screws to mount it to the tire carrier, but I would prefer to have it mounted to the wheel. In the picture it looks like there’s some kind of black rubber gasket that holds it in place, which seems ideal. With it mounted to the tire carrier I would be afraid it would be damaged muscling a big heavy spare on and off (it’s a cheap plastic piece). I’m also a little concerned that it will be somewhat buried rather than flush against the wheel and look kind of crappy.

I’m interested in input from anyone who has done this.

Why would you want it mounted to the wheel? I did it with a 5 dollar LED from O'Reilly auto. Drilled a couple holes, epoxied the light to the mount, wired it up.
I3mB3pccmkWPmvuodQ9_2I1n8eRDBHJZChKxbN5ZZwXwpcEqgZxAOOIatBYhIajU_EndYPnDNrddMEvjy0=w1133-h637-no.jpg

Reactions: matkal and cjaama
Why would you want it mounted to the wheel? I did it with a 5 dollar LED from O'Reilly auto. Drilled a couple holes, epoxied the light to the mount, wired it up.
View attachment 31082
That actually looks pretty good. I thought it would look better flush against the wheel, and as I mentioned, I was afraid I might bash it while trying to get a heavy ass spare onto the carrier.

I saw a 4 door Wrangler last week from a distance, when it stopped, the inside of the spare would light up with solid red. Could not catch up to it, I wanted to. It looked sharp actually, also looked like the standard rear light was removed

I’m sure a lot of people have mounted their third brake light in the center of their spare.

I bought this product from Rock Hard 4x4:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/...Oo8SXP3nnn0_e8YNT1vZtXlWsccQicRIaAitBEALw_wcB

Everything is straight forward aside from how to mount the light. It has holes through the back and comes with self-tapping screws to mount it to the tire carrier, but I would prefer to have it mounted to the wheel. In the picture it looks like there’s some kind of black rubber gasket that holds it in place, which seems ideal. With it mounted to the tire carrier I would be afraid it would be damaged muscling a big heavy spare on and off (it’s a cheap plastic piece). I’m also a little concerned that it will be somewhat buried rather than flush against the wheel and look kind of crappy.

I’m interested in input from anyone who has done this.
Mine was like $12?

View attachment 31131
47733DB4-1390-409F-A366-ED7B206CCDD0.jpeg
DD3DA21B-C88C-44EA-976A-5DE9E9DE3D77.jpeg

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Your 3rd Brake light for the middle of your spare tire, Where did you get that and can it be installed without having to get another Spare Tire Mount?
It's just a flat LED, not much thicker than a reflector. I've seen them on ebay and Amazon. It has a single stud in the center, like I said, 6mm I think, and a nut and washer. The wires stick straight out of the back, about a half inch below the stud. Two holes and you're done. Splice the wires into the original third brake light wires.