Third Brake Light Question

FTI76

Brian Flad
Supporting Member
Sorry for the dumb question, I googled this and I cant find an answer.

Does the third brake light only illuminate when you press the brake, or should it be illuminated when the lights are on, just like the tail lights are?

Yeah I don't think I would have any problems without it but just want to make sure I'm maximizing the full capabilities of my nerdy 3rd brake light.

88ddd0fa46412b92ccff26c82e4a9157.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is the third brake light a "legal necessity" or just a safety precaution? Just curious.
It's a legal necessity when new and sold by the dealer but not all states require them.

But personally, I think we need to give all the drunk, high, and inattentive drivers all the help possible to help them notice that that we're braking. I like the idea of 3rd brake lights for that reason.

Reactions: Chris and FTI76
I guess it does put the brake light at eye level of all the idiots texting. I have always wanted to invent a device that sets off a drivers airbag if they pick up their phone while driving!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: JimT
I guess it does put the brake light at eye level of all the idiots texting. I have always wanted to invent a device that sets off a drivers airbag if they pick up their phone while driving!

Dude! Millions of millennials would die!

Reactions: Chris

How about a device that shuts off their car if they pick up their phone?

Reactions: Chris and StG58
Enough lift, big enough tires and appropriate body armor and the lowered Honda's and Subaru's will just slide under and bounce off. Not seeing a problem here.

Can someone explain to me why certain segments of the American population are constantly trying to get back into the womb, and constantly trying to force the rest of us to go along with them? I just don't get it, but then I'd still be raiding west if the law and my morals didn't frown on it so much.

Maybe Jeep owners are trying to avoid just that... Nevada's not a real "utopian" state... [emoji6]
Well, when you look at Jeep owners, you do get the 'not interested in following the crowd' feeling. The vast majority of the public has no interest in a vehicle with a convertible or no top, no side airbags, easily removable doors, short wheelbase, folding windshield, mileage that is dismal in relation to the econoboxes, very few electronic nannies, and cannot be charged by plugging it in overnight. That's what makes them so enjoyable!

Reactions: LeePTI and StG58