This guy is driving an old postal Jeep to Moab

Love reading this guy’s stuff. Always amusing. I like this part:

“In my previous story, I complained about how my fuel tank only takes roughly eight gallons of gas, and how that basically limits my range to 100 miles. But now, considering my oil loss issue, I’m okay with that small tank, because were it not for it, I’d literally have to stop for oil more frequently than I do for fuel, and that’s just ridiculous.

...since the rear main seal is clearly the main oil geyser. That, and all the oil that the engine burns thanks in part to valve guides—which I’m certain are worn out since, when I lapped by head, the valves slid right out with no resistance—means I’m basically driving the Exxon Valdez of Jeeps.”

Reactions: qslim
To sum up his words in a nutshell when asked, why?

"Simply, it’s a challenge.

It appeals to the engineer-y/problem solve-y side of my brain. Here’s a vehicle that—if we’re honest—was destined for the junkyard. It had a bad frame, a cracked engine, a horrible suspension, a bad ignition system...the list goes on.

Understanding these problems, laying out a plan to solve them, and ultimately bringing something that far gone back to life (i.e. making it reliable and—most importantly—safe) is a true thrill. To see an underdog back on the road and doing great things—to cheer it on as the dozens of repairs my friends and I made function flawlessly—is an amazing feeling.

The projects are also crash-courses in wrenching, with each year bringing unique challenges/learnings, but all usually yielding some common headaches that come with rustbuckets (seized bolts, mostly). In some ways, wrenching on a junker is the ultimate way to learn how to work on cars; If you can wrench on a crap-can, you can probably wrench on damn near anything. (This is obviously a simplification, but you get the idea)."

Hell i'd probably toss him some coin if he had a go fund me. I can relate to his attitude and it sure beats the others who sit in coffee shops staring at their phones endlessly.

His speed going up the mountain was around 35 mph😂