This guy is driving an old postal Jeep to Moab

qslim

The Man with the Big Yellow Car
Lifetime Supporting Member
So this journalist David Tracy from Jalopnik has a habit of buying old Jeeps and driving them to Moab every year from Detroit. This year he spent $500 on an old rusted to hell postal Jeep, got it what I guess you would call road-worthy, and is currently on his way out to Moab for the Easter Safari thing they do. Here is a link to his rebuild saga, reminds me of the dumb shit I used to do before life took over.

https://jalopnik.com/tag/project-postal

I didn't look at all the build threads, just skimmed a few of them. That guy actually paid $500 for that thing. You would have to give me $500 to take it off your hands. I'm betting that thing breaks on the trail.

Reactions: A. Paul
There's no way I'm reading all that but based on the latest picture, with him sitting in it and giving the thumbs up, it looks like it's still 2wd so I don't think he'll get very far on the trail.

As long as (he thinks) he's having a good time, I say let him go for it.

To each their own. Its a quirky and the contradictory thing to do when prepping for what I believe is considered the holy grail home of trails. So hey, interesting I say, and even more hilarious if he gets through anything there w that thing. Proving that a ‘fully loaded’ Jeep isn’t always needed to have a good time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to own a 1970 CJ5. That was the shortest wheelbase CJ5 model. I once drove a round trip from Colorado, to Wisconsin, then Illinois and back. In the span of two weeks. That trip beat the heck out of me. I did wear earplugs. Shockingly though, the CJ5 didn't skip a beat. That old 225ci V6 and all stock drive train just kept trucking for many years. Worse part about the drive, was arriving in Appleton Wisconsin, and not being able to feel my right foot, due to the odd angle it was in for so long on the throttle pedal. It took nearly an hour to finally get full sensation back.

Man...This forum is getting pretty judgemental....I think D. Tracy is awesome. He is doing what wheeling should be. Go find something, ANYTHING, you can afford, get it running and driving, and beat the snot out of it. All the guys on here that look for these pristine cream puff jeeps, that don't know what to do if they see a spec of rust...

Someone asks for advice on buying something...if there is a spec of rust on a axle everyone screams, "Run Away! Its going to turn into a giant fireball in 6 seconds...Its going to break in half going down the road! AHHHHHHHHHHH

Its getting old...

I have been following his build progress and man does it seem like a death trap on the road... Very cool to see the progress he has made, but sketchy nonetheless.

I believe "to each his own", if this guy thinks his jeep is up to the task? He's the one that did all the work. I'm just talking from a personal standpoint/opinion. Have seen too many bad things happen that not only ruin your day but everyone else around you. if you wanna to take an AMC Gremlin to MOAB be my guest.

Reactions: Allstar424
I think he's mainly doing it for the experience of it. Taking something that basically has no life yet and giving it some life, I appreciate that he's willing to put time into something like this. I have been reading his posts' since he first got it and it quit the deal.

Yeah this dude is wearing a helmet just going down the road. Cant wait to see it on the trail. I for one say go for it Buddy!!

I took a stock 6 banger 65 Mustang out mudding once on a bet. Made it too when some 4x4 pickups didn't.