This is what the electric Jeep is going to look like at Moab

I mean it would be cool to have motors in place of the pinion on 3rd member style axle, batteries could take the place of the eng, trans, transfer case. No pesky driveshafts, low COG, frunk.

I love the concept. 1) It's a 2 door. 2) No useless back seat. 3) Manual like trans. 4) Rubicon traction and suspension. 5) Correct tire size. 6) A winch. 7) Optional doors...you get to pick none, half doors or full doors rather than buy 4 doors to get the set up you want. BUT.... where the hell is the spare tire? A proper rear bumper, swing out carrier, jack and tire will add at least 350 lbs. Then the issues of range, charging time, charging access, charging cost. To me this is the same as developing a superb locomotive and selling tickets before the rail system is laid. Every automobile ever made which was labelled as "ahead of its time" was a business failure. If only this had a short block V8! Why does Jeep perpetually avoid assembling all the perfect and available components?

Last edited:
Would be really cool if the made the hardtop had a solarpanel option where it would charge during the day to help. OR a hard “TOP” that is simply a fixed solar panel with soft windows... I mean I don’t think I’ve ever drove without having a safari top on so...

On the most Recent episode of Rogan's Podcast that Elon was on he talk about that, he said its not feasible to put solar panels over it because your essentially limited math wise by the surface area. He said MAYBE if you were to park and then have it expand out a lot it would help but it would do essentially nothing for practical purposes.

Reactions: DWR
On the most Recent episode of Rogan's Podcast that Elon was on he talk about that, he said its not feasible to put solar panels over it because your essentially limited math wise by the surface area. He said MAYBE if you were to park and then have it expand out a lot it would help but it would do essentially nothing for practical purposes.
Yep. Solar panels don't provide nearly enough juice to charge a battery like that in the space allocated.

Reactions: HardSell
Solar panels don't provide nearly enough juice to charge a battery
From Quora: "If one, low-end solar panel can produce approximately 1 kWh a day of AC electricity, that means you would need an astounding 75 (for a 75Kwh battery) solar panels to produce enough electricity to fuel your Tesla Model S to 100% capacity from 0% each day." Here are the catches: 1) We're talking a 10-12 hour charge with those 75 panels. 2) A practical 2 door Rubicon Jeep is substantially heavier than an aerodynamic, light weight (except batteries) Tesla. 3) We want a full charge in 10 minutes, waiting in line for all the other electrics needing charging. So, in theory, for a 100Kwh battery, you need a 600Kwh charge per vehicle. I haven't been able to locate data supporting the requirements for such a charging scheme, but my guess would be 1/2 acre of very expensive high capacity panels working at noon time, clear day efficiency. So, you are returning late afternoon from a good days 4 wheeling needing a charge to get you back to town 60 miles away.... It's simply not there folks!

Reactions: Zorba