This is what the electric Jeep is going to look like at Moab

We can recycle everything if you build it right.
On that note, the brave new world is starting to regulate manufacturers to build products which can be serviced, rebuilt and requiring manufacturers to do so. The days of throwing out or recycling are coming to an end as manufacturers will not be allowed to sell products which must be replaced.

I have yet to see any mine that runs on all electric equipment.
well you need to open yer mind. Underground mining is ALL electric.

There is an open mine in Chile where the haul trucks are all electric and never stop to recharge. The processor is in the valley. The pit on top of the mountain. The trucks run uphill empty on electric motors, and come down loaded recharging the batteries with gravity. They are completely self generating.

Reactions: HardSell
On that note, the brave new world is starting to regulate manufacturers to build products which can be serviced, rebuilt and requiring manufacturers to do so. The days of throwing out or recycling are coming to an end as manufacturers will not be allowed to sell products which must be replaced.
Oh the irony!!! It used to be that everything was built to be serviceable and last a life time. Then people wanted fast cheap and easy..., Now they want to reduce reuse and recycle 🥴 ...

Solar for recharging the jeep out on the trail isn't practical at this time.
best post yet.... at this time

100 years ago who thought 4 people could travel in comfort in a car and get 50mpg at 70mph. The market creates the demand and technology evolves to deliver the product. In the 1920s Detroit Electric was the choice for doctors and ladies of stature. Cleaner, easier to start, more reliable for the doctor.

We have come full circle.

19-Detroit-Electric_Brougham_DV-08_CC_01.jpg

UPS.... 100 years ago with a fleet of electric delivery trucks.

5a8dc657391d9419008b473c-1136-568.jpg

I love this one,

walker-electric_truck_1920_pictures_1_b.jpg

100 years ago the choice was gasoline or electricity. Without Henry Ford, it was a toss which would win.

Last edited:
It can be done,

Charley Boorman and Ewan M just finished long way up on electric Harley Davidsons.

https://www.advpulse.com/adv-news/long-way-up-ends/

“As we’d previously reported, gas-powered, crew-carrying chase vehicles, which included a Mercedes Sprinter and Ford F350, ferried battery banks so they could top off the e-vehicles between stops. “

There is an open mine in Chile where the haul trucks are all electric and never stop to recharge. The processor is in the valley. The pit on top of the mountain. The trucks run uphill empty on electric motors, and come down loaded recharging the batteries with gravity. They are completely self generating.
TBH I have never set foot in an underground mine but I do know that they aren't all run solely on electric equipment.
I do know what you are talking about when it comes to the regen process for the haul trucks. It works on the same principle as EVs braking for the most part is done by turning the wheel motors into generators, there by recharging the battery banks. The WABCO electric trucks I used to operate had big diesel gen-sets to power the wheel motors, when going down hill the retard portion of the braking system is shunted to huge heat-sinks instead of a battery bank.

Do you have a link to those Chilean mine trucks. I'd love to read up on them. Everything I have seen pop up so far is either out dated "we looking at" or completely off the subject of a 100% electric haul truck.

Here's 2 examples of mining going electric, the second one is the kind of mine I am used to operating in, along with the size of the equipment I'm used to running.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...mps-diesel-cuts-costs-pollution-idUSKBN1JH2FI
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/03/12/swedish-copper-mine-converting-monster-trucks-run-electricity/

The PHEV Wrangler is projected to have a 21 mile EV range. That's good for a short 10 mile work commute, but its gas engine for the hybrid part will need to produce enough power for a likely discharged battery a lot of the time. With battery weight, electric motor and component weight, and a larger hybrid motor to overcome the poor aerodynamics, it may result in an overall heavier Jeep than gas alone.

So there could be a chicken egg weight and power problem they need to solve for off road and performance people. Maybe not eco-wanting in town drivers; though they should just stop pretending. The best way to solve that might be a TJ unlimited size versus a 4 door JKU or Gladiator Rubicon size.

“Wondering....will the Blower Fan work on speed setting number 3 in the electric Jeep?”
—Every TJ Owner

Reactions: Tzerambo
The consumer’s appetite for EV cars will likely follow gas prices. Releasing an EV Renegade or Compass right now doesn’t seem to achieve FCA’s mission statement of providing “exciting products”. I’m not smart enough to predict the future, but I have a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid with 232K miles. I’ve never had to worry about my range. The battery doesn’t work as well as it used to. I only get about 30mpg whereas a couple of years ago I would be getting 42mpg. It’s been a great car. I’m a big fan of hybrid especially for a daily driver.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/31/us-...-on-average-for-first-time-in-four-years.html

The consumer’s appetite for EV cars will likely follow gas prices. Releasing an EV Renegade or Compass right now doesn’t seem to achieve FCA’s mission statement of providing “exciting products”. I’m not smart enough to predict the future, but I have a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid with 232K miles. I’ve never had to worry about my range. The battery doesn’t work as well as it used to. I only get about 30mpg whereas a couple of years ago I would be getting 42mpg. It’s been a great car. I’m a big fan of hybrid especially for a daily driver.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/31/us-...-on-average-for-first-time-in-four-years.html
Yes I think that a great amount of people will enjoy this new hybrid Jeep because a lot of people in our world are leaning more towards these hybrids or even the full electrics, but I still think that the original gasoline internal combustion engines will still rule the competition when it comes to Jeeps!

Does no one else the obvious problem ....about the longest extension cord is 100’.

GMC beat Jeep to punch line.
EV hummer with 1000hp and 350 mile range. Tomorrow is coming soon.

I love to here from you left coast folks. Good for a laugh. Please send me a brochure of this 600 hp Jeep with a 1,000 mi range. I'm ready to buy it today.
Oh, what? They don't exist? How about you show me a charging station within 50 mi of my house.
Oh, what? They don't exist?
Well, at least show me the solar system that can run my house and my electric car in January where it's in the 30's and down to sub 0 at night with 3 sunny days.
Oh, what? They don't exist?

In this state you are not allowed to have a solar system with a battery backup and still be allowed to tie into the grid. ILLEGAL.
Anybody know why there is so little lithium extraction here in the US? Contamination way beyond what the EPA allows (according to 3 different companies wanting to put solar panels on my roof.)
An electric car may work if you live in the desert and work from home, but what about the guy who drives 60 miles to work in Feb? Need the heat on at the house 24/7 and need the heat on for the drive to work. And there is no place to recharge the car. And it's been overcast for the last week solid. And you can't have a battery bank.
I'm pretty sure you folks with your fancy Tesla's (the half dozen or so they actually produce a year) are not going to let the "recycling" plant anywhere near where you live either. The horse is a hell of a lot more practical than a stupid electric car that can't get me to work and back in less than ideal conditions.
So quit telling me stories Mr Ed Begley Jr.

Last edited:
Sounds like you barely understand solar power grid systems and other options like the back up battery packs system for solar systems.
Gas engine is the horse and electric engine is the future. Doesn't mean you can't ride a horse today they are still around but it's stupid and unnecessary for daily commuting. I guess you never saw a Tesla solar power charging stations or Google head quarters with solar panels all over the campus.
My take is I can't wait for self driving electric cars and electric jeep with 600hp torque for all wheels and 1000 mile range per charge.

I have only 12x solar panels on my roof with 3000 watts with each panel making 250 watts each. I'm getting a positive gain in electricity for the whole year and is sent back to the grid. Since I live in a sunny state i dont need as many panels to produce enough to run my house. If I add 8x panels I can run a Tesla free for the whole year too. That's electricity and my system is warranty for 25 years.
Don’t leave out the startup cost for the solar system and how many years of bills it will take to cover those costs.

Reactions: Zorba and Chris